Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. February 2020

15 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Pretty meaty construction going on there - is that untreated pine, or something else?

Ngati Whitecliffs Marae on a mission

• Haha 1

I'll bet it does not have a permit.

If ya were building without a permit why would ya put it on line?

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ok .... so the bees are definitely on the back burner at the momment..... although I do wake up at 3.00sm in a cold sweat thinking..... mites..... buy Builder aBob must be on his game as the structure stood up to a shake from  mamatunaku last night.

Interesting day.... started cool, and grew and grew until at 3.30pm when hanging yhe big end truss the thermo hit 30c....

And all of a sudden at lunchtime the robbing at the shed stopped.

Must be time to go back to ‘Work’.

CCD6EE84-548A-407B-A1BF-17D52547F0E9.jpeg

I think I woke at the exact time you did with the same thought.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Because there are bigger fish to fry

45 minutes ago, jamesc said:

although I do wake up at 3.00sm in a cold sweat thinking..... mites.....

Do you mean "Termites"? 

Id be thinking Borer.

@jamesc I dropped some stuff I had planned and got out to some sites today that have had issues this time of the year.  Fortunately all sites and hives were clean as and healthy.  

• Like 1

Today I learned about escape boards, the hard way.

Im all out of gear and not going to make any more so when the flow came and my Mead making mate wanted some more honey I suggested he put 24 of his boxes on one of my sites and take the Honey, and so it was done.

On Monday the escapes went on and today the boxes came off.

Unfortunately, when the escapes went on there wasn't enough time put into scraping 4 of the mats clean of burr comb.

This meant that 4 boxes had gaps between the mat's rim and box so they got completely robbed out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Cause it's very interesting bit of construction. And all in red bands. 

James, you got no runners? 

Runners ?

Runners .... Nah ..... was never much good at running.

Got a joke about that too, but probably not worth repeating.

On 11/02/2020 at 5:56 PM, jamesc said:

Too freakin hot for doin bees ..... the truck thermo registered 30c at 2.00pm .... so we is building a garage to fill in time.

It used to be when I was at Airborne we went home when the mercury hit 30c.

0A24FB4C-6BE9-4118-9ACC-25331E5A2D4F.jpeg

I reckon it's really going to be a church - lets be honest, doesn't matter if half the parishioners are starving, everyone still contributes every week to the church to ensure it's ongoing wealth. A shrewd and cunning plan @jamesc never heard of a church going broke, and can have honey festival to raise money for the 'church'. Variation on the black teeshirts and expensive rings that pervade South Auck, which has proved a right little earner. James for bishop or perhaps pope anytime soon?

• Haha 2

What a strange tangent the Diary has taken .....   I hadn't thought of making it into a church ...... but perhaps in the subconscious that is where the design stemmed from.

The old Hororata church is built of wood and has some beautifully engineered trusses.

On the odd occasion I go down there to seek forgiveness for my sins and seek divine intervention for the problems in my world .... it is the high arched roof crafted with hand saw and eyeometer that fills my soul with inspiration and admiration for such beauty created with  simple tools.

Perhaps that is why we are Keepers of Bees ..... drawn to the simplicity of life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Today I learned about escape boards, the hard way.

Im all out of gear and not going to make any more so when the flow came and my Mead making mate wanted some more honey I suggested he put 24 of his boxes on one of my sites and take the Honey, and so it was done.

On Monday the escapes went on and today the boxes came off.

Unfortunately, when the escapes went on there wasn't enough time put into scraping 4 of the mats clean of burr comb.

This meant that 4 boxes had gaps between the mat's rim and box so they got completely robbed out.

I had that happen to 4x $600 boxes boxes of manuka last season but it was because of the new 12L plastic ekroteck feeders

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

What a strange tangent the Diary has taken .....   I hadn't thought of making it into a church ...... but perhaps in the subconscious that is where the design stemmed from.

The old Hororata church is built of wood and has some beautifully engineered trusses.

On the odd occasion I go down there to seek forgiveness for my sins and seek divine intervention for the problems in my world .... it is the high arched roof crafted with hand saw and eyeometer that fills my soul with inspiration and admiration for such beauty created with  simple tools.

Perhaps that is why we are Keepers of Bees ..... drawn to the simplicity of life.

I thought it was a drive through car port.

Somewhere to park utes you could be bothered off loading but didnt want to get wet .

well i'm home early.

i slipped with a frame and caught the end of the auto pricker. unfortunately it had not been deburred by the manufacture and it sliced open my finger.

no pics you don't want to see that. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Worked on a flail Uncapper many years ago and it took me three goes with a file to get all the sharp burrs off. Beautifully made piece of machinery and worked exactly as it was supposed to but the finishing touches let it down and man can those sharp edges make a mess.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, john berry said:

Worked on a flail Uncapper many years ago and it took me three goes with a file to get all the sharp burrs off. Beautifully made piece of machinery and worked exactly as it was supposed to but the finishing touches let it down and man can those sharp edges make a mess.

i follow an engineering guy on utube and one of his pet peeves is guys not deburring work, and people end up getting cut.

highly recommend his channel Abom79 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3UZn1tcVe7pH3R6C3Gcng

Edited by tristan

Somebody borrowed my truck last night.

Don’t ya just love young fellahs!

C8E99C2D-93FA-464C-90A7-0EC959B898D9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tristan said:

well i'm home early.

i slipped with a frame and caught the end of the auto pricker. unfortunately it had not been deburred by the manufacture and it sliced open my finger.

no pics you don't want to see that. 

######. Hope there’s no blood in the honey. 😎

6 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

A drop in the ocean.. I’d say he’s put a little DNA in the batch .. blood sweat and tears.. the mans committed to the cause 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, yesbut said:

The more photos you put up James the less notice I seem to take of you're crying poor !

True ....

There is no doubt , like many beekeepers, we had some very good years on the Manuka Boom.  We    tried to invest wisely so that.  when the inevitable Black Swan crunch arrived (Philbee will correct me if I have used that term wrongly ) we had something to fall back on.

The challenge these days is "where to next  ....?"

The bees are on a go slow ..... the Chinese have turned Vegan overnight .....  

The seasoned  Grasshopper looks to the night sky , seeking a bright star that will guide the new generation through the future years , so that they too may have the opportunity to savour  the comfort that we have been priveliged to have been able to enjoy.

Well, got the last couple of pallets of honey off today, that's it, job done. Most hives wintered and treated in the process also. 🙂

Feeling pretty done myself too so chilling back, planning to take the whole weekend off, doing nothing. 👍 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Feeling pretty done myself too so chilling back, planning to take the whole weekend off, doing nothing. 👍 🙂

Going by some recent posts you need chilling back !

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, nikki watts said:

those wonderful blue boxes where already done.

no blood in the honey, but i had to clean the floor.