UNDER THREAT, IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE (or two)

I get a google alert for "honey" most of which end up being superficial references to screen stars eating honey, being honey, playing honey, a honey of a house ... then the odd "journalistic" piece that gives you pause for thought.    Exactly what are people going to eat in future ....  

https://www.fastcompany.com/90457908/eating-honey-is-more-complicated-than-you-might-think

• Good Info 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Mangere, the Salvation Army have managed to majorly cull the 'Home Trucks' which have spent years going around on the day before pay-day selling grossly overpriced things to those without the petro

Lots of half-truths and distorted facts. Perhaps they could do an article on how the increasing numbers of vegans eating vast quantities of things like lentils and soybeans is causing a shortage of pr

Of course most of the article is poorly informed and sensationalist rubbish, but it also has elements of truth.   For example it refers to bees as a farmed animal and they are that, we do fa

Lots of half-truths and distorted facts. Perhaps they could do an article on how the increasing numbers of vegans eating vast quantities of things like lentils and soybeans is causing a shortage of protein for poor countries in which they are grown.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Of course most of the article is poorly informed and sensationalist rubbish, but it also has elements of truth.

For example it refers to bees as a farmed animal and they are that, we do farm them. It also says our honeybees are a threat to other bee species and that is true, our honeybees do compete with wild native pollinators for food.

However what Brian Kateman has missed entirely is that honey, that he constantly mentions from beginning to end of the article, is not the main value product of farmed honeybees. Pollination is. If farming itself is evil, then farmed honeybees are a tiny proportion of that. The most environmental destruction is caused by all the other forms of farming. Not bees.

At the end of the article he encourages people to eat agave syrup or rice syrup instead of honey. Is he blind to the amount of land that is put into monoculture rice production compared to how much land is destroyed by bees? No comparison.

A question for vegans is how come they have a moral issue with eating honey cos it was made by bees that were clearly enslaved, but don't have a problem eating food crops that were pollinated by bees. Hypocrisy?

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 4
23 minutes ago, Alastair said:

A question for vegans is how come they have a moral issue with eating honey cos it was made by bees that were clearly enslaved, but don't have a problem eating food crops that were pollinated by bees. Hypocrisy?

Also, many of the poor subsistence farmers/horticulturalists growing the lentils are living a life that amounts to slavery, they have to borrow year on year at insane interest rates, just trying to keep the maximum number of the family alive until next year, and that debt means they must stay where they are or be hunted down for absconding leaving a debt.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

True Sailabee. I read a horrible article on the internet about the number of subsistance Indian farmers that commit suicide every year. Thousands of them. They are loaned money at exhorbitant interest rates by heartless money lenders, it only makes their situation worse, they end up in an impossible situation and kill themselves. Often over a debt that us westerners would consider paltry. 

There is still some humanity though, an American voluntary organisation has recognised the problem and using money donated in the US has taken over the debt of some of these people, making them pay it back but at better interest rates, and the money being paid back being recycled into rescuing more of these hard working folks.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 2
22 hours ago, Alastair said:

There is still some humanity though, an American voluntary organisation has recognised the problem and using money donated in the US has taken over the debt of some of these people, making them pay it back but at better interest rates, and the money being paid back being recycled into rescuing more of these hard working folks.

Bad move
That's like putting out a fire with Gasoline.

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Bad move
That's like putting out a fire with Gasoline.

So it's better that families - often large live as virtual slaves? If the person who raises the loan dies albeit form suicide, the family must still pay the loan and growing interest back, no escape for those left behind.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Sailabee said:

So it's better that families - often large live as virtual slaves? If the person who raises the loan dies albeit form suicide, the family must still pay the loan and growing interest back, no escape for those left behind.

It's  better that the number of families living this way is maintained at the lowest number possible.
Sending Cash into this dark industry will only expand it, therefore increasing the numbers of victims.
Its highly likely that the US funds being raised are subject to heavy commissions at source and that these commissions are driving the donation rational rater than sound economic practices.

13 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

In Mangere, the Salvation Army have managed to majorly cull the 'Home Trucks' which have spent years going around on the day before pay-day selling grossly overpriced things to those without the petrol or means to get to the shops, right outside their home, and lend money at an obscene rate, which quickly spirals, and can't be repaid, The sallies have sold at reasonable prices, urgent requirements only, and each truck has a budgeting expert who sits and starts the process of getting them debt-free, and sets up appointments to continue the process, so to me all is not doom and gloom, I have immense respect for the Mangere Budgeting Service and many of their current current volunteers were once clients, which proves the system works, and very well. 

Lets bring back the DPB

I give to Oxfam, which provides poultry, goats and bees, as well as training, to help people earn and income and provide food. We don't take part in the xmas excess, I won't even do secret santa at school, instead I purchased bees and a flock of chickens for Vanuatu on behalf of the staff.

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/unwrapped/

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/product/flock-of-chickens/

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/product/honey-bees/

• Like 1
On 31/01/2020 at 7:21 PM, Alastair said:

If they want un-enslaved bees in this day and age, they need to head for the wilds of Australia or the outer Hawaiian islands.  Taking into account events over the last few months I doubt currently that there would be many un-enslaved bees in Australia.  

2 hours ago, Markypoo said:

We don't take part in the xmas excess, I won't even do secret santa at school, instead I purchased bees and a flock of chickens for Vanuatu on behalf of the staff.

When I was a little nipper Tip Top ice cream used to make little waxed cardboard punnets of plain ice cream with little wooden spatulas.   Once a year, in the last week of school, the Xmas gift from the school PTA to each of the 500 pupils was one Tip Top punnet.  We all thought we were Xmas getting this!   

It was a very working class school, with many low incomes, but with fantastic support from the community

Probably couldn't do the ice cream thing in this day and age, cos of mega allergies!  I don't recall any of the 500 pupils having a reaction, nor any do gooder saying you shouldn't feed sugar items to kids.  In those days NZers prided themselves on not being an obese nation.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I give to Oxfam, which provides poultry, goats and bees, as well as training, to help people earn and income and provide food. We don't take part in the xmas excess, I won't even do secret santa at school, instead I purchased bees and a flock of chickens for Vanuatu on behalf of the staff.

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/unwrapped/

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/product/flock-of-chickens/

https://www.oxfam.org.nz/product/honey-bees/

I am very wary of any of those huge 'charities' as has been widely published this week, of the money raised by the Red Cross for those affected by the fires in Aussie, $11 million will go to 'operating expenses' of Red Cross, and that is not what it was donated for. I would rather help someone local than pass help to a corporate structure thinking that 'they know best'.

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

Agree totally. There was just a few weeks ago that top charity executive who had to resign after years of a bloated out 6 figure salary, paid overseas trips and 3 months paid golfing leave annually, all at the expense of little old ladies who scraped together a few dollars to donate to the charity. I am certainly careful who i give to.

But as to the comments about the Sallies dealing to those "home trucks", those money lenders are parasitic leaches who prey on the ignorant and enrich themselves by other peoples misery. It is an afront that they are allowed to exist in NZ. They do not provide a service that helps anyone, other than themselves.

I suspect the money lenders in India would be a similar breed, Indian Mafia probably. I have no problem with the charity who is intervening. It's not like these small farmers and businesses do not have to pay back the loan, they do. Nor are they entitled to the DPB, they work. They just get to repay the loan at non extortionate interest rates that's all. As to the assumption that the charity helping out is "Sending Cash into this dark industry" and "Its highly likely that the US funds being raised are subject to heavy commissions at source" I don't think so in this case. If that is being alleged, show the evidence. 

Edited by Alastair