Restructuring the fleet...possibly

my son is looking to buy a 4x4 ute, late 90s early 2000.

he is not in a hurry. .

would it be unseemly and very bad form if i asked if,   as bee keeping falls over,    there may be beeks selling their utes at knock down prices cause they need the money

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We call that the "the gate bitch" and they sit on the passengers side.

I get to drive when there’s two trucks loaded up. Himself hasn’t managed to drive two trucks simultaneously. 🤣

This is a handy little truck....The Beanie Truck’. 4x4,  two tonne capacity, no class 2 needed, carries three people and 108 boxes,  Nissan Atlas. Ticks along at 85kph, but needs softer

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Nice 6 turbo. Seen a few safari wagons cut down into a single cab. 

Do they have turbos?

The one Ive just done up isnt turbo but they go much better with one.
The Automatic 4.2 Safaris are a waste of time.

Id get a turbo one or add a turbo.
5 speed manual is a must.

46 minutes ago, Philbee said:

The one Ive just done up isnt turbo but they go much better with one.
The Automatic 4.2 Safaris are a waste of time.

Id get a turbo one or add a turbo.
5 speed manual is a must.

early model shorties where atmo only, later ones afaik went to the 2.8 turbo.

early utes are a bit rare but have leaf springs and a massive diff. some guys put the smaller diffs in to gain ground clearance.

funny thing is in the high powered turbo'ed engines auto's are recommended. manuals tend to have a lot of issues with keeping a clutch together and the auto helps dampen the vibrations and stop the crankshaft from braking!

Edited by tristan
1 minute ago, tristan said:

early model shorties where atmo only, later ones afaik went to the 2.8 turbo.

early utes are a bit rare but have leaf springs and a massive diff. some guys put the smaller diffs in to gain ground clearance.

funny thing is in the high powered turbo'ed engines auto's are recommended. manuals tend to have a lot of issues with keeping a clutch together and the auto helps dampen the vibrations and stop the crankshaft from braking!

The 93 shorty Ive just done had an Auto and non turbo
They just dont have the power to stretch between the gears.
They are solid transmissions though.

I put a 5 speed safari manual in it and new clutch etc and its not as smooth now at idle but is a much better truck.

That was $950 off trademe complete from flywheel to driveshaft included new brake and clutch pedals and clutch booster

Everything require down to the last nut and bolt.
It will get new body mount rubbers next.
They wear out rocker and shafts so put a whole new assembly in  for 380 bucks.

To be honest I dont think they are as good as the Toyotas of the same era but they are cool old school trucks

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

The 93 shorty Ive just done had an Auto and non turbo
They just dont have the power to stretch between the gears.
They are solid transmissions though.

I put a 5 speed safari manual in it and new clutch etc and its not as smooth now at idle but is a much better truck.

That was $950 off trademe complete from flywheel to driveshaft included new brake and clutch pedals and clutch booster

Everything require down to the last nut and bolt.
It will get new body mount rubbers next.
They wear out rocker and shafts so put a whole new assembly in  for 380 bucks.

To be honest I dont think they are as good as the Toyotas of the same era but they are cool old school trucks

93 is probably a blacktop which is the lightweight version that doesn't handle much power increase. 

if its a silver top then add a turbo and pump kit, add intercooler and a few other mods, then an auto comes in real handy as you smoke all four wheels 😍

yeah the toyota 4.2 6 is far better. really easy to get crazy power out of them. the nissan is IDI and it has some quirks to get around. its amazing they have spend so much R&D on them to get them this far. but big limiting factor is vibration at high power which leads to crank failure. 

16 minutes ago, tristan said:

93 is probably a blacktop which is the lightweight version that doesn't handle much power increase. 

if its a silver top then add a turbo and pump kit, add intercooler and a few other mods, then an auto comes in real handy as you smoke all four wheels 😍

yeah the toyota 4.2 6 is far better. really easy to get crazy power out of them. the nissan is IDI and it has some quirks to get around. its amazing they have spend so much R&D on them to get them this far. but big limiting factor is vibration at high power which leads to crank failure. 

Its a silver top but Id be happy with another 20kw.
However its the young fellas so a 100km/hr truck is ideal.
The motor revs like my 1kz, amazing.
I backed the fuel off a full turn so it doesn't smoke and will get a measured 10.6L/100km if driven nicely.
A lot less if pushed.

23 hours ago, Philbee said:

Its a silver top but Id be happy with another 20kw.
However its the young fellas so a 100km/hr truck is ideal.
The motor revs like my 1kz, amazing.
I backed the fuel off a full turn so it doesn't smoke and will get a measured 10.6L/100km if driven nicely.
A lot less if pushed.

atmo diesel with wound up fuel, that kills them really quick. surprised its doesn't have holes in the pistons.

something wrong with the 1kz if it revs like a silver top.

plenty of good turbo kits around. not sure how well sorted the NZ ones are, but the aussie ones have many decades of development behind them. not sure if you could find one that does such a small increase tho and i would not bother considering the cost. 

5 minutes ago, tristan said:

atmo diesel with wound up fuel, that kills them really quick. surprised its doesn't have holes in the pistons.

something wrong with the 1kz if it revs like a silver top.

plenty of good turbo kits around. not sure how well sorted the NZ ones are, but the aussie ones have many decades of development behind them. not sure if you could find one that does such a small increase tho and i would not bother considering the cost. 

The first mileage test got 20L/100km
The rocker cover had 25mm of sludge up there and the rockers had at last 25 thou shaft clearance.
The injectors were stuffed and the rings were probably  gummed up.
Overall the truck got 8k of parts thrown at it and now goes ok .
I took my wife out on a date in it on Saturday night, she wasn't overly impresses but I enjoyed it.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Philbee said:

I took my wife out on a date in it on Saturday night, she wasn't overly impresses but I enjoyed it.

put some 35's on it, that might make her smile............or your smile even bigger.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, tristan said:

put some 35's on it, that might make her smile............or your smile even bigger.

Lol
If I put 35s on it then it would definitely need a turbo to turn them and would definitely go fast.
Im not sure my young fella needs a truck like that.

As it is when he drives me around on his learners the conversation usually goes like this,
Slow down, Slow down, ........in slow down

On 3/02/2020 at 6:46 PM, kaihoka said:

my son is looking to buy a 4x4 ute, late 90s early 2000.

he is not in a hurry. .

would it be unseemly and very bad form if i asked if,   as bee keeping falls over,    there may be beeks selling their utes at knock down prices cause they need the money

general rule of thumb is never to buy any vehicle previously owned by a beekeeper :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Chrisdub said:

Crikey, I always thought it was dairy farm trucks to avoid ...

Dairy farm Quads.

Horsemen will spend their last dollar on their Horses before they change the oil in the truck.

Horsewoman will spend the Horseman's money in much the same way.

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Dairy farm Quads.

Horsemen will spend their last dollar on their Horses before they change the oil in the truck.

Horsewoman will spend the Horseman's money in much the same way.

Hmm, maybe.  But then again, the welfare of the horse is paramount (pardon the slight pun) and insofar as the spending of the $ - independent  horsewomen (I should say horse people to be correct these days)  tend to value truck maintenance higher than their bank managers even ... (think about it ... 🤣)

However, I shall never again assume that all bee folk are good truck maintainers then .... somewhat a dashed perspective right there.  

15 minutes ago, Chrisdub said:

Hmm, maybe.  But then again, the welfare of the horse is paramount (pardon the slight pun) and insofar as the spending of the $ - independent  horsewomen (I should say horse people to be correct these days)  tend to value truck maintenance higher than their bank managers even ... (think about it ... 🤣)

However, I shall never again assume that all bee folk are good truck maintainers then .... somewhat a dashed perspective right there.  

Sorry, Yes I agree that Horse trucks are exempt from my generalization.

Here is another suggestion what about going "big" :)  

This came through last night at 10pm appearing to be heading for Northland if it was going to the home base of the trucking company.

By my count there are 240 hives onboard 3 and 4 boxes high.

I hope they got to their final destination before the sun came up and without needing to refuel.

bee trailer.jpg

bee truck.jpg

• Like 4
Just now, Gino de Graaf said:

Honey still on hives. Drop at large site, harvest, and re-distribute. 

Saves a bunch of away from home time.

I wonder how that harvest declaration would be filled out...

Why is there not a net over them. Think about the public.