BSB

Restructuring the fleet...possibly

I am looking to change around our mix of vehicles and am toying with the idea of adding a small(ish) truck ideally with a lifter, definitely 4x4, and capable of fitting 3 in the cab to the mix and dropping 1 or 2 utes. 

Really just wondering what people recommend and I guess if anyone has something they are looking to onsell at the end of the season hit me up.

Because the majority of our work is queen and close to the home based we dont want anything that is prohibitively large or expensive to run. In the past we have run canters and dynas. 

Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BSB said:

I am looking to change around our mix of vehicles and am toying with the idea of adding a small(ish) truck ideally with a lifter, definitely 4x4, and capable of fitting 3 in the cab to the mix and dropping 1 or 2 utes. 

Really just wondering what people recommend and I guess if anyone has something they are looking to onsell at the end of the season hit me up.

Because the majority of our work is queen and close to the home based we dont want anything that is prohibitively large or expensive to run. In the past we have run canters and dynas. 

Sounds like a cabover?

You want a lifter, for beehives? Payload?

Generally, Isuzu Nps 4x4 series. Fit 3. Good payload. Reliable. Rough and clumsy compared to ute.

Running cost 2x of a Ute. Gobble diesel

Tho you're close to home.

Ok in wettish, but not in mud,or wet slopes. Heavy Tare. Don't get it stuck! Dog to pull out.

There are variations of 4wd cab overs. Jap imports. Support for these limited.

Not much in options really.

Also Canter. 

Iveco daily, or Mercedes sprinter. 

For close to home, mainly queen work. Utes. Running two Utes versus a truck. 

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Like 1

I have an Isuzu Elf 4wd flat deck.  It is a good little truck, but it does go through the diesel. 

11 hours ago, BSB said:

Need a wide cab for 3.

Edited by Gino de Graaf

local crowd actually got rid of their trucks.

ute and trailer does the same payload as the truck.

you can buy 2 or 3 utes compared to one truck.

which means more teams doing different things. carry more people. got back up vehicle to pull you out of the mud.

however a lot does depend on your terrain and work type.

• Agree 1

The Beast.

elf.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tristan said:

local crowd actually got rid of their trucks.

ute and trailer does the same payload as the truck.

you can buy 2 or 3 utes compared to one truck.

which means more teams doing different things. carry more people. got back up vehicle to pull you out of the mud.

however a lot does depend on your terrain and work type.

Yep and lower onroad costs/no log books...which is why I'm toying with the idea only atm. We are running 2 single cab utes and a double cab ute along with a large tandem axle trailer and a small single axle one atm. This all works well but less vehicles and a lifter does have some appeal. I cant justify putting hoists on any of the utes at the cost they run to. 

17 minutes ago, BSB said:

Yep and lower onroad costs/no log books...which is why I'm toying with the idea only atm. We are running 2 single cab utes and a double cab ute along with a large tandem axle trailer and a small single axle one atm. This all works well but less vehicles and a lifter does have some appeal. I cant justify putting hoists on any of the utes at the cost they run to. 

i think a lot comes down to size of operation as well.

i would rather jump up into the big trucks where you can do big loads of hives etc.

to me less vehicles has some risk. if you have a truck with 4 man crew and it breaks down, thats a big crew thats sitting around doing nothing.

one other advantage is with smaller vehicles and smaller crews is you can split jobs up. 

• Like 1

Jeepers this "less" vehicles grates !  "Less" refers to a singular object, eg less tax, "fewer" refers to a plural  eg fewer taxes .I'm still annoyed when I think about the detentions I got for not getting this right..

• Haha 1

As I sit here pondering the future of an industry I love being part of, a business that I have built from scratch and how best to structure things for an uncertain future my grammar is not really at the top of my list of concerns if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, tristan said:

think a lot comes down to size of operation as well.

i would rather jump up into the big trucks where you can do big loads of hives etc.

to me less vehicles has some risk. if you have a truck with 4 man crew and it breaks down, thats a big crew thats sitting around doing nothing.

one other advantage is with smaller vehicles and smaller crews is you can split jobs up. 

Yes and the age and reliability is also a factor. I have found all of my vehicles to be reliable and all have low mileage so changing them out would be risky. Especially if I am looking at less than 'gold plated' trucks (those days of beekeeping are gone for at least some time).

• Like 3

This is a handy little truck....The Beanie Truck’.

4x4,  two tonne capacity, no class 2 needed, carries three people and 108 boxes, 

Nissan Atlas.

Ticks along at 85kph, but needs softer springs for driver comfort.

9FF34A6E-7FB0-4924-BF37-C1B9436AF98C.jpeg

The tank on the back is the fire fighting unit.

• Like 5

On 30/01/2020 at 9:58 PM, yesbut said:

Jeepers this "less" vehicles grates !  "Less" refers to a singular object, eg less tax, "fewer" refers to a plural  eg fewer taxes .I'm still annoyed when I think about the detentions I got for not getting this right..

I suppose you see red when when you hear someone say "I seen them checking their hives today".

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hector Wong said:

I suppose you see red when when you hear someone say "I seen them checking their hives today".

Because he was at school not long after me, probably also gets the screaming abdabs with hive roofs instead of hive rooves as it used to be spelt.

• Haha 1

Most trucks seem to have a very harsh ride when empty/unloaded that causes passengers a lot of fatigue; long distance.

All fine and good for the driver on a suspended seat. Don't buy a truck of any size that doesn't have a suspended seat.

If the truck has hiab arm for pallets an idea is to have only one person in each truck.

At the right scale, send two trucks so there are two guys doing it for safety.

Harvest time with 3 in the cab is uncomfortable, but ok if it rarely happens.

Can't answer the original question; depends so much on your situation...

22 hours ago, Sailabee said:

Because he was at school not long after me, probably also gets the screaming abdabs with hive roofs instead of hive rooves as it used to be spelt.

I think you'd have to be about 300 years old to have seen that spelling

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I think you'd have to be about 300 years old to have seen that spelling

Not quite that old. My father always thought that for logic, one mouse, two mice, so one house two hice - somehow wasn't taken up.

When things go bad the storage yards will be filled with surplus trucks not utes.
Nor will there be tandem trailers laying around begging for work.

So my choice would be for a 3 seater flat deck ute with a 4.3m x 2.2m trailer that has a crane that will also load a 2 box hive on the ute.

Ideal ute would be a Cruiser. 

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Most trucks seem to have a very harsh ride when empty/unloaded that causes passengers a lot of fatigue; long distance.

All fine and good for the driver on a suspended seat. Don't buy a truck of any size that doesn't have a suspended seat.

If the truck has hiab arm for pallets an idea is to have only one person in each truck.

At the right scale, send two trucks so there are two guys doing it for safety.

Harvest time with 3 in the cab is uncomfortable, but ok if it rarely happens.

Can't answer the original question; depends so much on your situation...

The suspension seats... Isuzu nps can take them, but you end up sitting way high. Feels like you need to duck down to see out. The rough ride keep ones senses alert. Three in Ute...well that's too tight. Usually involves sucking in oneself at 1,2,3 gears. And a bit of dialogue. 

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

When things go bad the storage yards will be filled with surplus trucks not utes.

So my choice would be for a 3 seater flat deck ute with a 4.3m x 2.2m trailer that has a crane that will also load a 2 box hive on the ute.

there is already been quite a few ex beekeeper utes and trailers up for sale.

by the time there is surplus trucks parked up your probably not doing beekeeping anymore as well.

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

The thing is, as I have said before, when things went pearshaped we had two trucks with cranes that could lift more than two beehives, which meant we had assets that could be redeployed onto cash generating tasks.

A ute and  trailer mounted crane will sit in the yard and succumb to seizure and rustand unemployement.

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

The thing is, as I have said before, when things went pearshaped we had two trucks with cranes that could lift more than two beehives, which meant we had assets that could be redeployed onto cash generating tasks.

And were they so deployed ?

We picked up a couple of cash jobs.... people are putting in troughs and tanks at the mo.

6 hours ago, Philbee said:

3 is a bit cuddly in the cruiser 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Jamo said:

3 is a bit cuddly in the cruiser 

And a double cab is a bit pricey 

However, after rebuilding a short wheelbase TD42 Safari for my Son and driving it all over the place until he gets his restricted licence Ive decided to hunt around for a NZ new early to mid 90s flat deck Nissan Patrol.
Same thing as the safari more or less but rather rare
They are cheap to do up and the parts are readily available.
image.jpeg.d8743f6605b0d3bd181b9eac827480e8.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Philbee said:

And a double cab is a bit pricey 

However, after rebuilding a short wheelbase TD42 Safari for my Son and driving it all over the place until he gets his restricted licence Ive decided to hunt around for a NZ new early to mid 90s flat deck Nissan Patrol.
Same thing as the safari more or less but rather rare
They are cheap to do up and the parts are readily available.
image.jpeg.d8743f6605b0d3bd181b9eac827480e8.jpeg

Nice 6 turbo. Seen a few safari wagons cut down into a single cab. 

8 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Nice 6 turbo. Seen a few safari wagons cut down into a single cab. 

Do they have turbos?