Maurice Field

Extraction Hawkes Bay

Good morning,

Is there anyone in Hawke's Bay that will extract honey for hobby beekeepers? I have 4 3/4 depth supers I would like help to extract?

Good morning and welcome. I suggest approaching the local Beekeepers Club, they may be of help. 

To the best of my knowledge there is nobody locally that extracts on behalf.

Please remember that the all honey extracted now MUST be tested for Tutin.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, milkandhoney said:

Good morning and welcome. I suggest approaching the local Beekeepers Club, they may be of help. 

To the best of my knowledge there is nobody locally that extracts on behalf.

Cheers.

Good to see a local bee club recommended and the raising the possibility of tutin in honey, but I don't think that statement is quite correct as per Food (Tutin in Honey) Standard 2016.  Below in plain font are excerpts from https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/11137-food-standard-tutin-in-honey

Re Option four: Latitude 42 degrees south is just north of Kaikoura through to Westport. When we fill out the Harvest Dec it is annotated "Option Four"

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.  

2.4 Option two: Holding harvest records that demonstrate low risk harvest date (1) Option two is for the person to hold a written statement from the beekeeper supplying honey confirming the beekeeper holds records that demonstrate that the honey has been: a) taken from honey supers placed onto hives after 1 July in any year; and b) removed from those hives by 31 December in the same year. (2) The records must be kept for four years from the date on which the honey is packed for sale for human consumption. 

2.6 Option four: Holding records that demonstrate honey was harvested from apiaries below latitude 42 degrees south (1) Option four is for the person to request and hold a written statement from the beekeeper supplying honey that confirms that the beekeeper has records that: a) identify the geographical location of all of the hives from which the honey has been harvested (either on a topographical map at the standard scale of 1:50 000 or by global positioning system); and b) confirm that each of those locations is situated below latitude 42 degrees south. (2) The statement must be kept for four years from the date on which the honey is packed for sale for human consumption. 

Edited by Maggie James

10 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Good to see a local bee club recommended and the raising the possibility of tutin in honey, but I don't think that statement is quite correct as per Food (Tutin in Honey) Standard 2016.  Below in plain font are excerpts from https://www.mpi.govt.nz/dmsdocument/11137-food-standard-tutin-in-honey

Re Option four: Latitude 42 degrees south is just north of Kaikoura through to Westport. When we fill out the Harvest Dec it is annotated "Option Four"

Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.  

2.4 Option two: Holding harvest records that demonstrate low risk harvest date (1) Option two is for the person to hold a written statement from the beekeeper supplying honey confirming the beekeeper holds records that demonstrate that the honey has been: a) taken from honey supers placed onto hives after 1 July in any year; and b) removed from those hives by 31 December in the same year. (2) The records must be kept for four years from the date on which the honey is packed for sale for human consumption. 

2.6 Option four: Holding records that demonstrate honey was harvested from apiaries below latitude 42 degrees south (1) Option four is for the person to request and hold a written statement from the beekeeper supplying honey that confirms that the beekeeper has records that: a) identify the geographical location of all of the hives from which the honey has been harvested (either on a topographical map at the standard scale of 1:50 000 or by global positioning system); and b) confirm that each of those locations is situated below latitude 42 degrees south. (2) The statement must be kept for four years from the date on which the honey is packed for sale for human consumption. 

Did you read that Maurice is in the Hawke's Bay?

10 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

Did you read that Maurice is in the Hawke's Bay?

Yes I did Chris, but it is not only beekeepers from the Hawke's Bay that read the forum, and Milk and Honey states " that all honey extracted now MUST be tested for tutin".    

Also Maurice does not state if and when his Hawke's Bay honey has been removed, nor when he put the supers on.  

Edited by Maggie James

6 hours ago, milkandhoney said:

Cheers.

You do not have to test for tutin if you do not intend to sell your honey.

Now if you are going to barter your honey for other services then that is technically still selling your honey.

If you are going to give it away to neighbors then be careful.

If you intend to consume you own honey then no need to test. 

• Like 1

I think most people strongly recommend following the Tutin standard, even for personal consumption it is there to help save people from themselves.

Some of the details are a bit on the very very safe side and open to debate, but it is what we've got.

It is a neurotoxin that does irreparable damage to the brain, some might say that death would be preferable...

From what I have seen so far, there is next to zero chance of it in boundaries of any major city, but in the countryside it is pretty real.

I imagine that braided rivers and waterways around Hawkes Bay are an issue, milkandhoney seems pretty convinced.

• Agree 1

On 23/01/2020 at 9:50 AM, Maurice Field said:

Good morning,

Is there anyone in Hawke's Bay that will extract honey for hobby beekeepers? I have 4 3/4 depth supers I would like help to extract?

Hi there Maurice, Beekeepers Hawkes Bay have an extractor for use at a reasonable rate I would need to check but I think it may be $25, contact us on the club email at beekeepershbinc@gmail.com and we can see what we can arrange for you.  Membership is $25 per year and being affiliated with APINZ members are eligible for discounted lab tests including Tutin.  Sorry for the tardy reply but up to my armpits in alligators at the moment.