Annemarie Preston

Help with diagnosis

Hi,

I have a hive that struggled through the previous season and winter and was requeened with a virgin queen from another hive in spring. Treated with bayvarol in early spring and prior to that apistan in the autumn.  I originally thought it’s difficulty was based around the site ie too windy but it has lots of protection in the summer months from fruit trees etc.  it has failed to thrive and is still barely three frames of bees. There doesn’t appear to be any deformed wings and no sign of excessive varroa. Today I see dead larvae some uncapped and very small calcified larvae, some larger capped and some larvae that appear to be upside down in capped cells. A few almost fully formed bees with their tongues out but still normal colour... rope test doesnt seem to indicate afb, nor do the capping appear oily sunken or with holes.  Could it be afb even though not obvious?

A photo of a frame with brood would help greatly . Three frames of bees at this time of year doesn't sound terribly good. Welcome to the forum btw.

The description of the brood sounds like a varroa mite problem. When the bees were treated in spring, were the strips newly out of the packet, how many were used in how many brood boxes, and were they placed in the middle of the frames and middle of the brood?

I see plenty of new beekeepers whose treatments did not work properly because they placed the strips wrongly.

• Agree 3

As already mentioned photos of frames would be great... I note you treated with apistan last autumn then bayvarol in spring... both are made with the same chemical, it is recommended to alternate treatments... I would recommend getting some apivar in that hive asap... reduce it down to a single box or even a nuc box if you have one... 

Your description sounds very much like a drone layer but like others have said a picture would really help. If it is varoa or a drone layer then at three frames of bees it's probably beyond help but knowing why it happened are still important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2