On 28/01/2020 at 7:13 AM, Sailabee said:

Also, the number of people finding out that they weren't who they thought they were, and what a bunch of fabricators some parents have been - some who were half siblings, not full etc has been interesting.

I think in some cases that could be very destructive and everyone could have just died in blessfull ignorance .

But from a medical perspective it could be very helpful and maybe even a life saver ..

I have always struggled to get my head around the science of anything and the ancestry of queens drones etc is no exception.

In my beekeeping and queen raising I rely entirely on what I see and feel in front of me.

I very much believe that beekeeping is as much instinct or feel as it is science.

In our hives we have queens that produce both black and yellow drones and all shades of the two, always have always will but I wouldn’t breed from anything throwing black drones. 

We are lucky in that we have another breeder close by who also values keeping his line as Italian as possible which means we have a high percentage of purposely selected drone hives throughout our areas .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I think in some cases that could be very destructive and everyone could have just died in blessfull ignorance .

But from a medical perspective it could be very helpful and maybe even a life saver ..

DNA results have provided the means to enable those adopted out in the draconian old days to meet parents and half siblings, sometimes involving people in  their seventies and eighties who never stopped wondering about their origins, or connect with the child their family forced them to adopt out. 

Edited by Sailabee
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

many people have pondered the likeness between Prince Harry and the bodyguard of Princess Diana, some things are best left alone.

10 hours ago, David Yanke said:

what  could happen if I responded to Chris's Post?

as a beginner in this,  it would be good to know if I had made a reasonable summation of the overall principles being discussed, even if as a lay person it is a bit simplified. It would be great to get a summary in plain english. I am not a queen breeder nor a biologist, but it is interesting to understand a little bit more about how much I don't know. But I understand everyone is hot and tired too. I did google the definition of alleles but I avoid using words I don't understand, so I tried to make a simple summary without needing to bring in all that detail at ordinary wizard beekeeper level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

But I understand everyone is hot and tired too.

I'm not, just spent 20 minutes in our river 😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I'm not, just spent 20 minutes in our river 😊

excellent. Is it a clean river where you can sink down with just your nose poking out like a hippo? Or is it best to have your eyes, ears, mouth and nose above water?

5 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

excellent. Is it a clean river where you can sink down with just your nose poking out like a hippo? Or is it best to have your eyes, ears, mouth and nose above water?

It is an excellent river.  No bug issues. And if you wear goggles you can see a school of young trout in the bottom of our hole which is about 3 metres deep.

• Like 6

I’m picking my neighbour is wondering where all his wueens went to .

Today we spent time at the ‘Grave-Yard’ gathering all the dead brood boxes up from winter losses .... only found quiet a few repopulated with swarms.

😎😎 .... that had made us honey as well.

Which I guess begs the question.....’ if there were no swarm catchers, where would my neighbours queens go?’

92F71105-3815-429B-A7C5-A98924199221.jpeg

• Like 7

Nice bonus 👍

• Haha 1

The Princess Bride. 

Best sword fighting scene ever. ⚔️

On 30/01/2020 at 5:51 PM, jamesc said:

I’m picking my neighbour is wondering where all his wueens went to .

Today we spent time at the ‘Grave-Yard’ gathering all the dead brood boxes up from winter losses .... only found quiet a few repopulated with swarms.

😎😎 .... that had made us honey as well.

Which I guess begs the question.....’ if there were no swarm catchers, where would my neighbours queens go?’

92F71105-3815-429B-A7C5-A98924199221.jpeg

can you please check the licence plate please? if they came from up north :>)