10 hours ago, Philbee said:

Breeding site was in a large sheltered valley with sites spread along both sides of that valley.

this is what I was told by mentor. Both my mating sites are in relatively small narrow valleys 20km apart. I raise very few queens and never sell them.

I don't raise enough to give a percentage, but I have come to expect that mating is a 'given' from those two sites.

A couple of times I have put a cell into a full size colony on flat land; well, I wouldn't ever do that again.

• Like 1
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Virgins take on average 2 mating Flights. In one study using Read Only Tags on the  Virgins, the the average number of Mating flights was just over 2, the maximum was 6!  Flights of less than 5 minute

I’m picking my neighbour is wondering where all his wueens went to . Today we spent time at the ‘Grave-Yard’ gathering all the dead brood boxes up from winter losses .... only found quiet a few r

Hi - What are the references for the studies please?  When I google "Read Only Tags on Virgins" I get an interesting array of topics!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

this is what I was told by mentor. Both my mating sites are in relatively small narrow valleys 20km apart. I raise very few queens and never sell them.

I don't raise enough to give a percentage, but I have come to expect that mating is a 'given' from those two sites.

A couple of times I have put a cell into a full size colony on flat land; well, I wouldn't ever do that again.

All our sites are on Flat Land. Use cells. 70-80%>. Better in late summer, fickle in Spring. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1
5 hours ago, Sailabee said:

As a hobbyist, I try to use 10 day cells - yes, I know that commercials use 2 day ones, but 10 day cells are more robust and seem to always mate.

Most bigger operators use 10 day as the norm. 2 days are more robust than 10 I reckon. You can knock the wax off no worries, handle more temp variations, drop them... Just need bees in a carrier to tend to them in transport. Even that is not that important, 

• Agree 2

Do these bigger operators always get their $40 or whatever plus their own handling costs back in terms of production ?  Or is re-queening one of these marketing schemes ?

If I was a commercial stuck outside the manuka thing, a bought Q every year would be well down the list. And I'd also only raise my own if I had to keep someone employed.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Do these bigger operators always get their $40 or whatever plus their own handling costs back in terms of production ?  Or is re-queening one of these marketing schemes ?

If I was a commercial stuck outside the manuka thing, a bought Q every year would be well down the list. And I'd also only raise my own if I had to keep someone employed.

Most big commercials re queen every Autumn with 10 day cells  (much cheaper than mated Queen) pay back is huge.  Young robust queens heading their colonies in the spring means less swarming, less failures, easier management and bigger crops.  Mated queens generally only used in spring for patch ups and replacing winter losses.

• Like 1
On 14/01/2020 at 4:44 AM, Manfred said:

Queens don't come back from mating flight. Since spring I have a 70% rate of queens not coming back from mating flights.

Sometimes I see them coming back from first flight then they dissapear on the next flight.

This goes on since spring. We are far away from traffic so I think they can't get killed by cars.

Any ideas?

Are they definitely not coming back or are they returning to the wrong hives and get killed perhaps?

Edited by AdamD
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, yesbut said:

if you are a commercial beekeeper relying on non Manuka honey for your income the chances of being in business after this season are pretty slim IMHO

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 3
7 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

if you are a commercial beekeeper relying on non Manuka honey for your income the chances of being in business after this season are pretty slim IMHO

Do you think the migrant beeks will not migrate so much anymore .?

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I can only speak for myself and we have two areas that have only returned MPI standard non Manuka honey for the past two seasons if it’s non Manuka again this season after a very good flowering then we will pull out of those areas.

no point in having hives in areas that don’t produce at least a multi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
57 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I can only speak for myself and we have two areas that have only returned MPI standard non Manuka honey for the past two seasons if it’s non Manuka again this season after a very good flowering then we will pull out of those areas.

Has it been a good manuka flowering across the whole top of the south island ?

Shame it didnt do this three yrs ago when it was worth something .

35 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Has it been a good manuka flowering across the whole top of the south island ?

Shame it didnt do this three yrs ago when it was worth something .

everywhere I’ve been has been white with Manuka and Kanuka flower.

It seems it’s been a good flowering with good harvests for a lot of the country it could be a hard selling season with so much honey around.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

everywhere I’ve been has been white with Manuka and Kanuka flower.

It seems it’s been a good flowering with good harvests for a lot of the country it could be a hard selling season with so much honey around.

At least there is some sort of market for manuka honey .

20yrs ago all this white would have been freaking out all the beeks worrying their hives were going to fill up wirh rubbish honey .

19 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

At least there is some sort of market for manuka honey .

20yrs ago all this white would have been freaking out all the beeks worrying their hives were going to fill up wirh rubbish honey .

Now beeks are thinking that when they dont get manuka honey.

• Agree 2
11 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

northland is in much the same situation. paid manuka sites are testing as non-manuka.

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

i think there will be more.

there will be those that stay put and survive on what they get locally. but there is now more push to travel to profitable locations.

the other downside is there will be more bee truck crashes. theres been a few hit the headlines (with one death) and typically there is tons that you do not hear about.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tristan said:

northland is in much the same situation. paid manuka sites are testing as non-manuka.

i think there will be more.

there will be those that stay put and survive on what they get locally. but there is now more push to travel to profitable locations.

the other downside is there will be more bee truck crashes. theres been a few hit the headlines (with one death) and typically there is tons that you do not hear about.

And probably even worse overstocking than there is already 

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Will they travel for non active manuka .?

I would say yes 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

absolutely. its simply down to price. if its high enough they will travel.

what will bite is competition. i expect good locations will be in very hot demand, which pushes up site fees until it hits a point of not being worth it.

non-active manuka will be worth far more than active non-manuka.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

What is non active manuka?

Now you need to be looking at is it going to be mono or not, or do I have access to a blending tank or someone who does for multi manuka so i can blend it, there are beeks now looking for some stuff to blend to what they have got because theirs dosent meet the markers but with a bit of this and a bit of that they can make it fit. So yes there would still be a bit of interest in multi-manuka sites. But not me.

Beeks need to start talking to one another and compare what they have got and see if they can blend their honey together to make a sellable product, which is what the packers are doing, but how the profit share goes is another can-o-worms, and I haven't come up with a system yet.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

What is non active manuka?

Now you need to be looking at is it going to be mono or not, or do I have access to a blending tank or someone who does for multi manuka so i can blend it, there are beeks now looking for some stuff to blend to what they have got because theirs dosent meet the markers but with a bit of this and a bit of that they can make it fit. So yes there would still be a bit of interest in multi-manuka sites. But not me.

Beeks need to start talking to one another and compare what they have got and see if they can blend their honey together to make a sellable product, which is what the packers are doing, but how the profit share goes is another can-o-worms, and I haven't come up with a system yet.

trouble with that is now your also half a packer with a lot of the cost that goes with it. your probably far better to let the packer, who has the gear and access to a wide range of honey, to do it all.

4 hours ago, tristan said:

trouble with that is now your also half a packer with a lot of the cost that goes with it. your probably far better to let the packer, who has the gear and access to a wide range of honey, to do it all.

Thats also an option which most may take, but there is a lot of honey that the packers are not buying, so if thats the case then you have to be proactive and fine a solution for your self.

On 24/01/2020 at 8:14 AM, AdamD said:

Are they definitely not coming back or are they returning to the wrong hives and get killed perhaps?

They surely don't come back, I see them sometimes coming back from the first mating flight you can see the mating sign two days later they are gone. Normally I had mating success 75/80%. It's just this year.

Course they may make several mating flights. I have seen virgins leave then return in probably a minute or less, which i suspect is an early orientation flight not even a mating flight.

Can't prove it myself but the common wisdom is they take the mating flight but if the spermatheca did not get enough they will make more mating flights.

• Agree 1