Simon55

Destroying hives with AFB in urban apiary

I think I've got AFB in one of my hives in my back yard in auckland. No space to safely burn it in an urban back yard - trees, fences, neighbours' houses etc.....  Does anyone know of a service that will remove the hive and destroy it for me? Thanks.

Try phoning the AFB management agency, ask them. they will help......0800 232 767

@Alastair

Edited by yesbut

Thanks Yesbut.

Yes there is a service here for burning hives Simon. It is run by a private individual so he does charge for it.

In my profile you will see my email and phone number, if you contact me I can pass on the details.

• Like 2

Thanks, Alistair! See email....

Didn't get your email

If you are a member of the Auckland Beekeepers Club we have an arrangement with one of our members that will take your hive and burn it for a small fee, but only for members!

• Thanks 1

Hi Simon, got your email and have replied.

7 hours ago, Martin Garside said:

If you are a member of the Auckland Beekeepers Club we have an arrangement with one of our members that will take your hive and burn it for a small fee, but only for members!

Thanks for that info, Martin - might need to reactivate our membership if the test proves positive :) !

11 hours ago, Martin Garside said:

this sounds very interesting, do you know if other clubs do this too? 

Do you have a member with an industrial incinerator or is it paddock and a spade?

Does the club dispose of non-wood hives, polystyrene, plastic, foam?

Is there any kind of template that other clubs could follow to replicate this?

Hi Chris,

He just lives out of town on a farm so just hole in the ground and a spade.Not sure if he accepts non wood, and there is no template to follow.

When I was on the committee of ABC I approached to local fire department who had a fire pit for their own training, but they were not interested on praciting on burning hives!

I believe that the local fire departments should be more helpfull as they have the facilities to prevent any accidents.

Try local industrial incinerator company, they may offer to do it if you need it in the future!

• Thanks 2
  • Good Info 1