lexy

manuka wholesale price guide for 2020?

hi, just wondering if anyones got a rough guideline on manuka wholesale prices per kg?

im guessing this is driven by manuka 5, DHA and MGO so there maybe no simple answer...

thanks!

This is a slow thread.... no one got sny manuka to sell, or no one buying.

Lets expand a bit..... Is snyone selling sny honey....?

We got offered $5/kg for kanuka back in November .....

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

With the abundant kanuka flowering that price is bound to drop.

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

Did you take it? Be lots of K this year. 

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

With the abundant kanuka flowering that price is bound to drop.

Not necessarily the bees have to collect it first.It may flower but if the temperatures are not there no flow.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Did you take it? Be lots of K this year. 

It  ‘aint in the drum yet.

we just sorted the bill with Jason, who I met at the conference... who had a good deal on drums.

After that , we’ll stack them up in the New RMP storage .... and wait for some serious offers .... 

Or go an buy some boot polish and a suit.

Probably need to renew the passport too.

Edited by jamesc

19 hours ago, Bighands said:

Not necessarily the bees have to collect it first.It may flower but if the temperatures are not there no flow.

true that, got masses of kanuka in flower at the moment all round the hives. The bees are studiously ignoring it and flying off who knows where

I went out this morning in harvest mode, got a couple of escapes on and decided to leave them to it for a bit longer.  Still going hard on the Kanuka.  I was also a bit surprised at the sheer quantity of pollen going into the hives, lots of orange, some grey and some cream.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

I went out this morning in harvest mode, got a couple of escapes on and decided to leave them to it for a bit longer.  Still going hard on the Kanuka.  I was also a bit surprised at the sheer quantity of pollen going into the hives, lots of orange, some grey and some cream.  

There is so much manuka flowering here I have even seen bees in it .

Sad and ironic for the beeks that come here  and local beeks that when there finally is a good crop of manuka the value in it has gone .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

There is so much manuka flowering here I have even seen bees in it .

Sad and ironic for the beeks that come here  and local beeks that when there finally is a good crop of manuka the value in it has gone .

The market may have softened but there is still value in it.......

• Like 1

In Australia where they have so many more species they have recently re named Manuka than what we do, just wondering if they would have included Kanuka in the group re name?

Unlike here where there are standards for manuka honey, over there you can call anything you like manuka honey.

Just wondering?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not only can they call anything Manuka honey they can also use the words active, bio active etc as well as counting the peroxide activity which gives them the opportunity to say their honey is more active than NZ.

what I don’t understand is how come our labelling laws changed to make it illegal to use the words active bio active etc and the reason given at the time was because we had to fall into line with the Australia NZ food labelling rules whereas Australia can put anything they like on their labels

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Not only can they call anything Manuka honey they can also use the words active, bio active etc as well as counting the peroxide activity which gives them the opportunity to say their honey is more active than NZ.

what I don’t understand is how come our labelling laws changed to make it illegal to use the words active bio active etc and the reason given at the time was because we had to fall into line with the Australia NZ food labelling rules whereas Australia can put anything they like on their labels

Do you think australia will flood the market with so much manuka that the price will collapse.

Not to international bulk honey levels because manuka is seen as a health food , but to say $10 a kilo.

Does manuka yield enough in NZ to make economic to go after it at that price .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Does manuka yield enough in NZ to make economic to go after it at that price .

Had an eye popping conversation recently with a retired commercial beekeeper who stil runs 100 or so hives as a hobby. His hives are in the Hokianga area, where i once kept bees myself.

He told me last 2 seasons his honey has been just over UMF 15, season before last he was paid just under $100 a kg for it, last season he was paid $45 a kg for almost identical honey. But what threw me was when i asked how much he got, he told me last 2 seasons he's got 5 kg a hive. WHAT! i said. Yes he replied. He said the place is crawling with bees, and every single property has bees, they are everywhere, and year on year more keep appearing. 

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Had an eye popping conversation recently with a retired commercial beekeeper who stil runs 100 or so hives as a hobby. His hives are in the Hokianga area, where i once kept bees myself.

He told me last 2 seasons his honey has been just over UMF 15, season before last he was paid just under $100 a kg for it, last season he was paid $45 a kg for almost identical honey. But what threw me was when i asked how much he got, he told me last 2 seasons he's got 5 kg a hive. WHAT! i said. Yes he replied. He said the place is crawling with bees, and every single property has bees, they are everywhere, and year on year more keep appearing. 

Problem is 5kg @$45 is still better than 40kg @ $4.

• Agree 1

Yes and less work also. 

Something i forgot to add though is a $50 per hive land rental is standard in the area. There's $10 a kilo off your profit right there.

Rock and a hard place.

My guess would be that Ozzy manuka hives are likely making a box or two of Ozzy manuka, so we would be at a distinct disadvantage.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 2

The beauty of it all lies in that the good Australian folk, oh yes hand in hand with some big Kiwi operators are simply doing what NZ was doing prior to the MPI standard. i.e. shooting themselves in the feet (yes feet, plural).

NZ has the biggest and best golden opportunity in our lap to maintain a genuine item, grown, processed, packed and marketed from NZ, sold at a premium price. The one and only genuine NZ Manuka honey.

The ugly is in the producer not getting a fair slice of the cake here at the present and I suspect if we don't wake up to this then it will indeed continue to the advantage of the marketer/exporter.

• Agree 2

Yes, i did wonder why the packers are paying $50, but selling it at $400. Sure there's some marketing but does that cost $350 a kg?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

same here... every year when you think it cant get crazier more hives turn up to stack up behind the boundary stackers. However Ive noticed there seem to be fewer this season - guess the prices for low value manuka/non manuka have started thinning out the ranks

• Good Info 1

Part of Small Boy and my itinerary yesterday was popping into  a manuka site we did’nt use this year.

As gypsy beekeepers we cover a lot of land snd have loose srrsngements with landowners.

Every year is different... and I prefer not to be tied to contracts, but take a gamble on a gut feeling.

So this year the forccast did’nt look great, so we put the bees elsewhere.

Our ‘Pop In’ revealed that the site had good bloom, and bees in place.

The landowner reported that the bees had gone in that morning. The catch is the flower was brittle and starting to fall like snow.

We call the pig hunters here ‘The Ten Percent Club’ ... as when the dogs get onto the scent they loose 90% of their brain capacity.

Manuka Mania is very similar.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Alastair said:

100, 45, this season? Definitely something going on with demand.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Part of Small Boy and my itinerary yesterday was popping into  a manuka site we did’nt use this year.

As gypsy beekeepers we cover a lot of land snd have loose srrsngements with landowners.

Every year is different... and I prefer not to be tied to contracts, but take a gamble on a gut feeling.

So this year the forccast did’nt look great, so we put the bees elsewhere.

Our ‘Pop In’ revealed that the site had good bloom, and bees in place.

The landowner reported that the bees had gone in that morning. The catch is the flower was brittle and starting to fall like snow.

We call the pig hunters here ‘The Ten Percent Club’ ... as when the dogs get onto the scent they loose 90% of their brain capacity.

Manuka Mania is very similar.

took a walk up the tops about a week ago where the manuka was still going but had been hammered by big NW. took this pic because i found it interesting that despite being munted the flowers still had bees on them...  I wonder if the gleam on that left flower is actually nectar?

PSX_20200112_123122.jpg

• Like 5