jamesc

Moth balling hives

In the current economic climate we are starting to mothball all the duds we have no intention of making up.

I have three options.

Option one is to leave them on site and let the wax moth sort them.

Option two is to use the gear as kindling for winter fires.

Option three is to build a simple oven snd melt the wax out of the combs, wash the combs , and wait it out for better times.

Question....  how would u buiold a melter?

Try this.

I made a version of it.

Pretty simple really.  A wall paper steamer works great as the steam source.

• Like 4

James will be a while. You can burn the hives as you heat water. A combo approach.  And you can add the wax to your stock. 

@jamesc you're all wood and wax? 

Cause you can get your frames washed and waxed if plastic. Tho a few bucks each will add up. 

Another option. Hire/buy a freezer/reefer. Palletise and wrap, freeze. Rotate in/out. You would probably have to monitor and do again if moth get back in... 

Clearly you didn't read the thread yet Tudor LOL 😄.

Way back when I worked for Airborne, old combs which were known then as "rummys", were moved to the outside of the bottom box during wintering down. Which meant that come the following spring they would be empty and were removed and replaced with fresh combs. We had a huge boiler, which was used for mixing sugar, and melting wax. All queen excluders were dunked in it during winter and came out clean, and the rummy combs were melted in it. Was a somewhat unpleasant job, the "slumgum" (brood cocoons) had to be scooped into a sack which was then pressed in a press under the water to get the last bit of wax out. The slumgum had an unpleasant smell which because of the cloud of steam you were working in, permeated your skin and no amount of washing could remove it, just had to be smelly for a few days till time removed it. The slumgum was piled up outside and was free for removal by anyone who wanted to take it to dig into their garden. I was also chastisede by Jasper one day when he looked through  a pile of slumgum i had processed and found some wax in it, he came charging into the melting room with 2 lumps of wax in his hands and yelling "it's like finding Bxxxy nuggets of gold" 🙄. Not a happy chappy.

Anyhow for your situation James, a solar wax melter could be handy. They do a good job of seperating the wax and the wax that comes out the bottom is clean. Because it is not necessary to fire it up or turn anything on or off, you just load it up with frames and walk away. Next time you have a few spare minutes you take the now cleaned frames out and put new ones in.

Because you will be doing a large quantity some thought would be needed to a good design which will make removal of slumgum easy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We left a lot of boxes in a reefer about 3 years ago. Frames are now clean and ready for rewaxing thanks to the wax moth..

do plastic frames survive the hot steam?

as for a solar wax melter (which are awesome for the occasional frame im sure it will very likely destroy/warp any plastic put in there as it can get very hot inside.

Oh i don't think either are any use for plastic frames. 😳

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

We left a lot of boxes in a reefer about 3 years ago. Frames are now clean and ready for rewaxing thanks to the wax moth..

I am guessing all plastic frames,? How did your boxes fair? Those grubs eat into wood

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I am guessing all plastic frames,? How did your boxes fair? Those grubs eat into wood

Yes plastic frames. The boxes are ok, a couple were nibbled by the moth but still usable.