• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reason we still have lotsa honey in the shed is that no one is interested in buying it.... whatever the price. Strange. Meanwhile, small boy snd I did a little undet 500 ks today checking bee

Dont fight it Pink Cat, Ive never let on but feel the same way about saucers of milk

That was the 60s.  Kids were a lot more easily satisfied. And probably happier, cos after they'd eaten their honey, they had mega energy to go out and play in really physical activities; and they used

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Was only a few months back I mentioned leaving multi/bush honey on the hives and I got told I was in the wrong industry.  It now seems leaving some of it on, if not all, is getting a consensus.

Just out of some hives and I still have green nectar coming in here....

Depends who told you .

Reality is closer than it was then I’d say 

35 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

….and you have been wondering for sometime what to diversify in?

35 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

….and you have been wondering for sometime what to diversify in?

The crop belongs to a neighbour.... lotsa loops and hoops to jump through to grow it....

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

Depends who told you .

Reality is closer than it was then I’d say 

@jamesc and @Daley if I recall correctly.  

Also, it is not my experience manuka prices have flown by that quoted 50%, or anything like that.

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

And waddayaknow, location details and date pic taken revealed in the elements examine

My beekeeping skills don't extend to getting those details off a photo.  But the reality this will happen in the near future

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Anne said:

It seems the honey industry might be as screwed over as the wool. With the insatiable taste for sweet and sugar being seen as a devil honey should be a rising star, especially raw honey with enzyme &  good bacterias intact.  Wool should be the same rising star with plastic clothing but somehow we lack a insightful leader and the marketing focus. It seems the government are happy to give millions to researchers for which most work has been done many times. On ground level there are many ideas lacking the $$ & expertise to get to the market place. I really believe its time we partnered with other ag businesses such as fonterra, alliance group to get access to markets they already have. Market access is the hardest point but with relationships already in place it becomes cheap and efficient. 

Fonterra is going to go south rather quickly with the introduction of yeast created ‘dairy’ protein, when you know how much of our milk leaves the country as powder that goes into so many products like Panadol for instance, if they can replace it with a cheaper alternative then they most definitely will.

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Also, it is not my experience manuka prices have flown by that quoted 50%, or anything like that.

🤷‍♀️ I’ve been leaving honey on ever since I started beekeeping, price be damned, I don’t feed sugar unless I miscalculated 

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Daley said:

Fonterra is going to go south rather quickly with the introduction of yeast created ‘dairy’ protein, when you know how much of our milk leaves the country as powder that goes into so many products like Panadol for instance, if they can replace it with a cheaper alternative then they most definitely will.

🤷‍♀️ I’ve been leaving honey on ever since I started beekeeping, price be damned, I don’t feed sugar unless I miscalculated 

I meant leave all the honey on, but my apologies if not you. 🙃

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Aye for sure.... we generally leave a box of dew on the hives to carry them through the winter.

But the times are a changing.

we now get charged for our dew sites, and pay the forestry company a site rental that is over twice what we would spend on sugar to winter the bees.

I wonder if we’ll ever go full circle to the days of give and take and nurturing  the Big Picture ..... food is life, and without it we are up the creek with no paddle.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Aye for sure.... we generally leave a box of dew on the hives to carry them through the winter.

But the times are a changing.

we now get charged for our dew sites, and pay the forestry company a site rental that is over twice what we would spend on sugar to winter the bees.

I wonder if we’ll ever go full circle to the days of give and take and nurturing  the Big Picture ..... food is life, and without it we are up the creek with no paddle.

If paying for dew sites...maybe time to walk away.  For our sites land owners get honey and for manuka sites a return based upon the return we get.

8 hours ago, M4tt said:

Man made synthetic products are now all the rage . We all know this , and all rural type  businesses are being oppressed in one way or another, and those that aren’t have either beaten the game for now , or are about to follow. 
I don’t have any wise answers ,   but if the world doesn’t value and want your product, it’s end game for that industry. 
For example , since 2004 , 94000 dairy farms in the USA have ceased to exist 

So does that mean 94000 dairy farms are no longer.... or have been amalgamted to form larger units.... ?

• Agree 1
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

So does that mean 94000 dairy farms are no longer.... or have been amalgamted to form larger units.... ?

Farm numbers and total cow numbers have declined , so either way , farmers and their staff must be doing something else 

1 minute ago, CraBee said:

If paying for dew sites...maybe time to walk away.  For our sites land owners get honey and for manuka sites a return based upon the return we get.

We slso get chsrged a royalty on the honey produced over and sbove a hive running cost.

It’s symptomatic of what the Manuka industry has done to the wider bee industry. ....... bankrupted it.

Just now, M4tt said:

Farm numbers and total cow numbers have declined , so either way , farmers and their staff must be doing something else 

Hmmm .... I hear growing houses is quite lucrative!

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hmmm .... I hear growing houses is quite lucrative!

Quiet rural gully , hemp views .........

You might be onto something there 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are right crabee.... possibly time to walk away .... or get reslly pushy and secure high value crop sites thst make the wintering expenditure worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Quiet rural gully , hemp views .........

You might be onto something there 

Time to resurrect the Whitecliff’s festival ....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Daley said:

you've been listening to your cousin ted-talking?

3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

My beekeeping skills don't extend to getting those details off a photo.  But the reality this will happen in the near future

Always take a photo of a photo if concerned

8 hours ago, Bee Good said:

Ha! you dont need to be sherlock holmes to work it out, he said it belonged to his neighbor. Jeesh

Indeed... I have a cuz in Oz and apparsntly we are neighbours.... right?