Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What do you think he would say about things today. ?

no idea. The scientific effort has gone up as well as the temperature since then and many have switched sides as more information came to hand. It is not about being right or wrong nor losing face, it is just what it is and as more information is uncovered, we often learn how much we'd didn't actually know. Right now all the information is pointing one way and media are spinning it out a good deal further.

To then use previous mistakes or U turns against all science / scientists, as some have, isn't very smart.

We have come along way since bleeding people to death to get rid of infection aka bloodletting, but maybe some people should go back to that if they want to malign medicine, science and engineering.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Well,  The climate in Manawatu has changed again.

A lovely warm day yesterday with barely a cloud in the sky and no wind.

Today, Rain since about midnight and heavy cloud cover.  

Hopefully the climate will change again tomorrow and warm up a bit so that the bees can work the clover.

You could send some rain up North 🌧️

19 hours ago, yesbut said:

I'm going to have to start ignoring this thread some posts  really get my back up.

Cats do arch their backs 🤔

• Like 2

On 11/01/2020 at 6:42 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

Cool, I sent a query to MPI via the into link. See what they say. As Mr Berry mentioned, pretty fast transit via ship. 

Besides, bees get moved across USA for pollination. Singles delivered near port, quick checks, treatment in, into reefer on pallets, ship. Need a receiver/ distributor.

Imagine the paperwork..... 

California has all our bugs, I think. 

MPI, can export to Canada.

No agreement with USA.

Looked through hives today .

Pleased with amount of honey considering the weather .

Once again wax  foundation frames drawn plastic ignored.

Another queen has mated and laying well.

I will combine this new queen hive with another which has no laying queen .

The lines company has noticed that the migrant beek on my place has blocked access to the power pole and is going to ask the beek  to move them .

I suppose he will have to take some right away . Its not like you can move a hive 2 mtrs .

South Waikato is getting very dry. Checked an apiary today. No honey surplus collected in 3 weeks. In fact we took a honey super off Some hives as they won’t be filling it any time before winter. 🙁

12 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Mill closure affect you ?

No. I worked at Kiwi Lumber across the road.

Unfortunately for Pacific Pine they needed to make milling and marketing changes 4 years ago. In NZ there is huge reduction in Pruned log supply due to a change in forest management (less pruning). They needed to develop a structural timber market which would have needed a huge financial investment (Kiwi Lumber did this). A change like this would have been very difficult being a single sawmill such as Pacific Pine.

Edited by dansar

27 minutes ago, dansar said:

No. I worked at Kiwi Lumber across the road.

Unfortunately for Pacific Pine they needed to make milling and marketing changes 4 years ago. In NZ there is huge reduction in Pruned log supply due to a change in forest management (less pruning). They needed to develop a structural timber market which would have needed a huge financial investment (Kiwi Lumber did this). A change like this would have been very difficult being a single sawmill such as Pacific Pine.

Our eldest son started work last week for a pruning and planting operation, it was easy when standing on the ground pruning, but today he had to try and do a 6 metre prune, working off a ladder, he was not a happy camper when he got home. He showed me a photo of the trees they were pruning (###### doing that). 

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Looked through hives today .

Pleased with amount of honey considering the weather .

Once again wax  foundation frames drawn plastic ignored.

Another queen has mated and laying well.

I will combine this new queen hive with another which has no laying queen .

The lines company has noticed that the migrant beek on my place has blocked access to the power pole and is going to ask the beek  to move them .

I suppose he will have to take some right away . Its not like you can move a hive 2 mtrs .

Will you get a surplus to extract?

We've been harvesting. It looked like we'd get another 2 or 3  weeks of flower but the hives have very little fresh nectar and are storing pollen. 

Time to start thinking about autumn !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Will you get a surplus to extract?

Yes , I think so .

There is a lot of mostly capped kamahi .

I shall take the frames off and store them and wait and see how much I can have and how much to leave for bees .

If the commercial beek has to take his hives away I will not be getting my bucket of honey .

13 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

We've been harvesting. It looked like we'd get another 2 or 3  weeks of flower but the hives have very little fresh nectar and are storing pollen. 

Does the manuka flower well each year on the Barrier ?

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Oh for he good ole days when you tossed that in with Kanuka & call it Manuka !!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Yes , I think so .

I shall take the frames off and store them and wait and see how much I can have and how much to leave for bees .

If the commercial beek has to take his hives away I will not be getting my bucket of honey .

Does the manuka flower well each year on the Barrier ?

What else is coming in.Down here we have lotus major and I have seen Koromiko flowering and the small white rata vine is yet to start.

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Oh for he good ole days when you tossed that in with Kanuka & call it Manuka !!

A lot of beeks will be thinking that .

How they thought they could get away with that I do not know .

The taste , texture even the colour is completely different .

And the favour dominates .

Just now, Bighands said:

What else is coming in.Down here we have lotus major and I have seen Koromiko flowering and the small white rata vine is yet to start.

There is lots .

Still rata , heaps of kanuka and manuka .

I have lotus and bits of clover .And white rata vine just starting .

If weather is good there is lots to collect .

Nothing ever dries up with drought here .

37 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Do you get a good flower of manuka each yr on the Barrier island .?

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Do you get a good flower of manuka each yr on the Barrier island .?

last year the manuka in the hills didn't didn't really flower. But low lying areas a reliable. With kanuka having a huge flowering this year it really shows how much it's outgrowing the manuka in some places.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/01/2020 at 7:43 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

MPI, can export to Canada.

No agreement with USA.

Don't they understand that bees can fly across the border!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Don't they understand that bees can fly across the border!

They should arrest and fine each bee which cross the border and.. extradite?

• Haha 2

We had an email from friends in Canada this morning and it was -40°C. I don't think any bees will be flying across the border today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, john berry said:

We had an email from friends in Canada this morning and it was -40°C. I don't think any bees will be flying across the border today.

11 minutes ago, john berry said:

r they near the us border

12 minutes ago, john berry said:

Sorry folks - I not an official into triplicate.  I have lost the wifi mouse!  

r your friends near the Alaskan border?

On 8/01/2020 at 5:59 PM, tommy dave said:

Wonder how the bees in dunedin are doing. Find out tomorrow I guess.

the two dunedin hives have less honey on than they did a week ago - a few hands helped with extracting a few boxes with the old capping fork/two frame manual extractor combo. Managed to jar/bucket up all the honey so no problems with a honey storage stockpile here for now thank goodness. Flow is decent.

then a few days camping around rakiura/stewart island. Tropical paradise conditions, plenty of time in the water. Glad we carried a frying pan. No need to get the feet wet to be able to eat well on the low tides we hit. Some cooked as steaks, some diced and fried with onion and cream - each time offered to dubious campers we met, and each time disappeared fairly quickly after the first taste!  :)

rakiura_paua.PNG

• Like 5

Can we please stick to bees, I know they depend on the climate, but if I wanted to read non referenced opinions of climate skeptics I would listen more to trump and the other ‘experts’ that don’t believe it’s happening.  maybe start a new thread so I can not waste my time reading it? 

checked all hives today, nectar slowing down, we have incredibly dry conditions.  Some pohutukawa nectar still uncapped which is crystallising already!  Pohutukawa are pretty much finished, Kanuka seems to have finished here now Too.  I spread parsley seeds everywhere there was bare soil earlier in the year most is flowering now, and covered with bees! 

7 minutes ago, Alc said:

Can we please stick to bees, I know they depend on the climate, but if I wanted to read non referenced opinions of climate skeptics I would listen more to trump and the other ‘experts’ that don’t believe it’s happening.  maybe start a new thread so I can not waste my time reading it? 

Apiary diaries are open to any topic.  If someone want to talk about swimming or fishing or the weather or climate change, then that is all good in this thread.

• Like 2