Apiary Diary. January 2020

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,  What to say.  Another decade is rapidly fading into the past and all the doomsayers are still with us. We did not enter a new Ice age in 1970's. We did not run out of oil in the 1990'

This doesn't happen every day. Do you see the shackled? Driving along at 90, wack! Think it came off approaching Ute. Big shackle. Any higher and think it would have flown straight in. Excel

Totally agree, change will not happen without the will to change. There are heaps of things  we can do, both big and small to make a difference.  We don't have to totally give up flying, driving, or g

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Sure the Climate has always changed.  It is the reason for the change (anthropogenic or natural) and whether recycling plastic will save the planet.

Obviously, living without fossil fuel did not save Neanderthals. 

Maybe if they had fossil fuels, cars, housing and hospitals and medicines they would still be alive today.

But Climate Change gets the blame.  Based on what??

Yes my point was the climate was changing even back then and with a total population of only 100,000 I don’t think Neanderthals could be blamed for causing it.

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Anthropogenic climate change has scientists in both corners.  

Trev's been desperately doing some googling, he's never used such a big word before.

• Haha 5
38 minutes ago, Ted said:

Yes my point was the climate was changing even back then and with a total population of only 100,000 I don’t think Neanderthals could be blamed for causing it.

Outlier 

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Remember that Darwin was a solo scientist.  His theories are now widely accepted. But still not fully proven.

He was less than 3%.

"Science was then considered dehumanizing in English public schools, and for dabbling in chemistry Darwin was condemned by his headmaster", a quote from a biography on Darwin. If Darwin were alive today, he would hold Human Induced Climate Change Deniers in the same contempt  that he held the Religious Establishment at the time.  Crazy that you would use Darwin to support your argument.  I hope you don't  base all your decisions in life on backing the 3%, over the 97%- it isn't a winning formula!

• Agree 2
10 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

I hope you don't  base all your decisions in life on backing the 3%, over the 97%- it isn't a winning formula!

No.  Certainly not.

I base my decisions on the facts that I see and how those decision will affect me  and those around me.

% of opinions one way or the other never come into it.

Personally, I would like to see a cleaner, neater, tidier and  more caring world.

But I do not see how a bunch or activists flying in private jets to a climate conference or a young girl who sails around in a $10M boat and flies first class and then screams at the world are going to lend any credibility to the climate change argument. 

And let's also get it right. A couple of years ago everyone was screaming Global Warming.  Now the mantra is Climate Change.  Ask yourself why they had to change the mantra.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

And let's also get it right. A couple of years ago everyone was screaming Global Warming.  Now the mantra is Climate Change.  Ask yourself why they had to change the mantra.

Yeah and I'm real disapointed about that .

I was really looking forward to global warmimg , esp with the crap summer we are having around here .

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

No.  Certainly not.

I base my decisions on the facts that I see and how those decision will affect me  and those around me.

% of opinions one way or the other never come into it.

Personally, I would like to see a cleaner, neater, tidier and  more caring world.

But I do not see how a bunch or activists flying in private jets to a climate conference or a young girl who sails around in a $10M boat and flies first class and then screams at the world are going to lend any credibility to the climate change argument. 

Global Warming is causing our Climate to Change, it is that simple.  How can you you see a conspiracy in that?  You have got to change your news sources. You can rant with half truths about Greta and Climate Activists going to conferences, but try to stick to the facts- the science is is undeniable, Human Activity is causing the earth to warm dramatically, which is causing our Climate to change dangerously.  

• Agree 2
On 10/01/2020 at 10:51 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

The West Coast of the South Island has to be one of the best places on this earth :) 

yer nar malborough although at this time of year there is always that ever present wiff of sulfur in the air.

35 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

yer nar malborough although at this time of year there is always that ever present wiff of sulfur in the air.

nah not a fan of Marlborough it’s all flat land with grapevines as far as the eye can see and windy as. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A little article about those 3% of deniers.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2015/aug/25/heres-what-happens-when-you-try-to-replicate-climate-contrarian-papers?fbclid=IwAR3dxfPKX__hRjjfhJDUDgj8791x-VRaijhRe0Beh9W0Zds9SX94u1qR35g

For those who don't want to read it. Here is a good quote. 

There is a 97% expert consensus on a cohesive theory that’s overwhelmingly supported by the scientific evidence, but the 2–3% of papers that reject that consensus are all over the map, even contradicting each other. The one thing they seem to have in common is methodological flaws like cherry picking, curve fitting, ignoring inconvenient data, and disregarding known physics.

and here is the link to the paper the article is based on.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00704-015-1597-5

• Like 2

I doubt that my contribution to the world is going to delay global warming.  All I can do is not pollute the environment, use only necessary manufactured chemicals and be self sufficient.  There is obviously going to be a food shortage, and of course governments are going to be wanting us to grow our own veges and plant trees, but what really annoys me is that in the Selwyn District Council are we pay megabucks for our rates, and in the last year they have hit us with an additional water tax.

I think one of the questions everyone has to ask themselves is, how do individuals adapt. i.e. there is already flooding in low lying areas and we will have areas where you cannot insure, and if you cannot insure, you can't get a mortgage, therefore we will start to see more existing communities disappear.  Also we will be growing different crops in each area, and this will affect bee forage, and honey varietals offered.

A number of years ago I heard a retired scientist in Ireland deliver a talk, and she discussed us all growing crops on our rooves, and local bodies utilising public spaces and yes them growing bee forage where they could, also she predicted a rise in dews being produced by the honey bee.  And voila - we now have giant willow aphid dew! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Maggie James said:

R U telling us we don't need scientists?

He’s telling us there is a good pattern over time that all scientists are not always  right 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

And don't  call every one who does not agree with you an idiot.

Hi Trevor - I have never stated that everyone who does not agree with me on climate change is an idiot.  . 

I think it is good to have discussion on different viewpoints

Edited by Maggie James
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

nah not a fan of Marlborough it’s all flat land with grapevines as far as the eye can see and windy as. 

It did once have all those lovely big deciduous trees and cherry orchards and peaches apricots .

But you are right now it is just a monoculture of grapes .

9 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Hi Trevor - I have never stated that everyone who does not agree with me on climate change is an idiot.  . 

I think it is good to have discussion on different viewpoints

Sorry @Maggie James.  I phrased that statement badly.

I meant to say that we should all do our own thinking.  It annoys me when people accuse people of things when they don't agree with each other.

The trouble  today is that everyone wants to take offence about every comment that is made.  Specially Keyboard warriors.

Once again. Sorry Maggie. I was meaning collective "you" not individual "you"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
15 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Definitely not,

I am saying you need to do some serious thinking yourself.  And don't  call every one who does not agree with you an idiot.

I don't care if you believe in Climate change or not.  I just get sick of everyone trying to tell me what to believe.

It does seem that some climate change is happening .

Whether humans caused it or not is beside the point to those human  communities those envinoments are being flooded out , or dried up or burnt up .

Its only luck that you and I were born here in relative safety and not there .

I think were have duty as part of the human family to help them relocate their lives to somewhere else .