Apiary Diary. January 2020

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

A thought, is it possible/viable to send complete hives to Canada/American? 

Singles, screened floors,reefer with fresh air reticulated chilled air. 

In autumn. At a good price. Varroa treated. A way to sell on bees and gear. 

Almond bees req in February March. Shipping a few weeks direct? 

Cost be prohibitive I imagine. 

I have seen a documentary quite sometime ago of Australian hives shipped to US for almond pollination

• Like 1
  • Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well,  What to say.  Another decade is rapidly fading into the past and all the doomsayers are still with us. We did not enter a new Ice age in 1970's. We did not run out of oil in the 1990'

This doesn't happen every day. Do you see the shackled? Driving along at 90, wack! Think it came off approaching Ute. Big shackle. Any higher and think it would have flown straight in. Excel

Totally agree, change will not happen without the will to change. There are heaps of things  we can do, both big and small to make a difference.  We don't have to totally give up flying, driving, or g

Posted Images

I am no expert on live bee exports but  as far as I know you're only allowed to send bees.

It would be an interesting exercise to ship  hives to North America. I believe it takes under two weeks by ship these days and would be far more economical than airfreight. If MPI  wanted to take the idea up I could give them a list of bee havers who I would be delighted if they sent a few thousand hives away.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, john berry said:

I am no expert on live bee exports but  as far as I know you're only allowed to send bees.

It would be an interesting exercise to ship  hives to North America. I believe it takes under two weeks by ship these days and would be far more economical than airfreight. If MPI  wanted to take the idea up I could give them a list of bee havers who I would be delighted if they sent a few thousand hives away.

I am pretty sure John is right.  The U.S. doesn't even allow bees on comb to cross over the border from Canada, and certainly nothing can go the other way.  Australian's have sent Package Bees into the U.S., but never Hives. I am not sure of the status right now, but I don't think the Aussies can send Packages at the moment to the U.S., and I  am not sure if we have a current Export Health Certificate  for Packages and Queens to the U.S., but we obviously can send to Canada.

4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

A clue where you seen? 

Hi Gino - It is so long ago I had forgot; until I saw your comment..  In the last 18 years!  I need to think about it.  There was a video made on the importance of bee pollination.  There were elderly Chinese woman climbing up wooden ladders undertaking manual pollination of almonds in China - apparently that's what you were expected to in that village at a certain age.  Then there was coverage of hives being loaded in Australia for almond pollination in; in California.  And of course OZ doesn't have varroa.   

28 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Hi Gino - It is so long ago I had forgot; until I saw your comment..  In the last 18 years!  I need to think about it.  There was a video made on the importance of bee pollination.  There were elderly Chinese woman climbing up wooden ladders undertaking manual pollination of almonds in China - apparently that's what you were expected to in that village at a certain age.  Then there was coverage of hives being loaded in Australia for almond pollination in; in California.  And of course OZ doesn't have varroa.   

Cool, I sent a query to MPI via the into link. See what they say. As Mr Berry mentioned, pretty fast transit via ship. 

Besides, bees get moved across USA for pollination. Singles delivered near port, quick checks, treatment in, into reefer on pallets, ship. Need a receiver/ distributor.

Imagine the paperwork..... 

California has all our bugs, I think. 

Hi Gino - I am onto it.  Many years ago I used to write all sorts of stuff down for future reference.  There was a CD, I think distributed by the NBA, at the time and the video was about CCD.  I have had a look at my notes - "Silence of the Bees & Australian Honey Imports.  An Overview".  David Boldt.  It was definitely about almond pollination. 

Hope this helps.  Cheers.  Maggie

Anybody that this helps - they owe me a bottle of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc!  Or preferably a ticket to my wonderful queen cell production PowerPoint tutorials; which quite a few people of write on this forum attended!   

I have a couple of unusual venues planned for my tuts next winter!  O La La

I guarantee you, that you will learn something. You only need to learn one thing to pay for the tut fee!

• Good Info 1
On 10/01/2020 at 9:07 AM, kaihoka said:

Energy storage is the critical bottle neck holding up the whole transition away from fossil fuels .

It needs a technological leap that hasnt happened yet .

Some pretty simple energy storage in this unit. Recharging isn’t too costly. The waste from making the stored energy can safely be recycled. Only needs a + and a - to make a new one and if you’re really lucky you get 2 new units.  And there are not too many issues with end of life disposal.F895A699-B06A-4099-A659-18278EBF1F6E.thumb.jpeg.05bc7792a696f14bd95eeeea320f98a3.jpeg

• Agree 2
  • Haha 4
21 hours ago, Goran said:

Who knows, maybe there is some underdog lurking and in a finish line will pass first before favorites.. Wouldn't be the first time.. 

To cheer a little, enough of grim talk.. Few pics..

mood 1.jpg

mood 2.jpg

Hi Goran - Good photography, always interesting to see how other people set up.  What is the reason for the hives on quite raised legs?  Cheers.  Maggie

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Hi Goran - Good photography, always interesting to see how other people set up.  What is the reason for the hives on quite raised legs?  Cheers.  Maggie

Away from debris from a hive, easier for your back, exposed entrance - visible to predators, so mice are more vulnerable if try get in, easier to read what is happening with colony by looking at entrance..

24 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Keep entrances above most snow ?

May be also.. ?

• Good Info 1
On 9/01/2020 at 11:58 PM, David Yanke said:

Stupid statement, 2019 was the  4th warmest year in 111 years of record keeping.  2019 has been the Earth's hottest year since records began. 3 out of the last 4 years have been in the top 5 of the hottest years in NZ in the 111 years of record keeping.  The evidence is clear, the Earth's Climate is warming at an ever increasing, extremely dangerous rate.  The science is absolutely clear, human activity is the main cause of this warming. Why do Climate Change Deniers have such a  hard time accepting the facts, and science behind Climate Change, and prefer to cling to 'alternate facts' pumped out by those with vested interests in maintaining the status quo. Denying science is dangerous, it leaves you open to be swept up by populist rhetoric, and it makes it impossible to make rational decisions on the best way forward.

Most people accept every science based fact as long as it suits them, except when t comes to climate change.

• Agree 2

I believe climate change is real but I don’t go along with the idea that some have put forward here that their kids won’t live to reach their age because the earth will be unliveable.

I also believe nothing NZ does as a nation will make a scrap of difference to anything.

climate change is the popular buzzword right now and will be until something else comes along to take over the media’s attention. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Nothing at all will happen about climate change one way or the other as long as at least half the world's population believes in an afterlife and don't care about this one.

Interesting you say that.  I was thinking a lot of religious types will be prepared to accept and endorse scientific evidence of climate change but totally reject scientific evidence of evolution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, NatureAlley said:

Most people accept every science based fact as long as it suits them, except when t comes to climate change.

Yes.  And that is on both sides of the fence.

I just don't believe science is proven (either way) by consensus.  Science is meant to be done by proof.  That is why we all believe in gravity.  It is proven.

Anthropogenic climate change has scientists in both corners.  Both cannot be correct. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1
23 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  And that is on both sides of the fence.

I just don't believe science is proven (either way) by consensus.  Science is meant to be done by proof.  That is why we all believe in gravity.  It is proven.

Anthropogenic climate change has scientists in both corners.  Both cannot be correct. 

There may be, but sceptic scientists are only 3%.

And here is proof.  

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. 

47 minutes ago, CraBee said:

There may be, but sceptic scientists are only 3%.

And here is proof.  

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals1 show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree*: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities. In addition, most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. 

Remember that Darwin was a solo scientist.  His theories are now widely accepted. But still not fully proven.

He was less than 3%.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ted said:

Was watching a documentary on Neanderthals today and their eventual demise was put down to - wait for it - climate change!!  

Sure the Climate has always changed.  It is the reason for the change (anthropogenic or natural) and whether recycling plastic will save the planet.

Obviously, living without fossil fuel did not save Neanderthals. 

Maybe if they had fossil fuels, cars, housing and hospitals and medicines they would still be alive today.

But Climate Change gets the blame.  Based on what??

• Good Info 1