Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

Recommended Posts

climate change or no climate change I keep asking what can anybody do about it ?

Everyones saying something has to be done and soon but nobody as far as I know has come up with any answers .

 

@David Yanke what do you propose to do?

will you go back to horse and cart to do your beekeeping rounds ?

Will you grow all your own food and meat and only eat food produced locally?

will you wear all non synthetic clothing?

Will you never travel in a motorised vehicle of any kind?

Will you never light a fire ?

 

What will you do that I and others could do to reduce climate change?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit nippy on the pippi .... eh Bighsnds!

CA3E7595-3515-4807-8398-13FB4AF0E662.jpeg

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a little chilly here.I will buy a rain gauge shortly.Talking to a farmer at Inchbonnie last week and they have had 5.7 mtrs of rain.I am sure ours would be at 7 or close to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russ said:

Populist rhetoric, rational decisions.

Populist Rhetoric= Hitler's Germany in the 1930's, or Trump's America now

  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

climate change or no climate change I keep asking what can anybody do about it ?

Everyones saying something has to be done and soon but nobody as far as I know has come up with any answers .

 

@David Yanke what do you propose to do?

will you go back to horse and cart to do your beekeeping rounds ?

Will you grow all your own food and meat and only eat food produced locally?

will you wear all non synthetic clothing?

Will you never travel in a motorised vehicle of any kind?

Will you never light a fire ?

 

What will you do that I and others could do to reduce climate change?

 

That's really the sticking point. What can we do. ...? 

If we feel hopeless, nothing will happen. 

I feel action needs to happen at regulatory levels. Incentives to change. Or good options. 

I am a climate change believer, even if I am wrong it's a good thing to action change, less consumerism. Business hate that thought.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

climate change or no climate change I keep asking what can anybody do about it ?

Everyones saying something has to be done and soon but nobody as far as I know has come up with any answers .

 

@David Yanke what do you propose to do?

will you go back to horse and cart to do your beekeeping rounds ?

Will you grow all your own food and meat and only eat food produced locally?

will you wear all non synthetic clothing?

Will you never travel in a motorised vehicle of any kind?

Will you never light a fire ?

 

What will you do that I and others could do to reduce climate change?

 

Exactly my point . It’s all very well for people to be foaming at the mouth and wringing their hands over climate change , but we’re pretty much on a conveyer belt and we can’t stop it . We are emitting waste products as a byproduct of being alive . That fact that the bulk of our population likes to huddle together in tight groups , getting everything carted to them , giving their waste to someone else to deal with , then getting in planes , trains and automobiles to go on holiday in someone else’s back yard doesn’t help though . 

‘This whole electric car thing is another thing too . Obviously we don’t make the batteries for them , or recycle them here , so unless we reincarnate the endeavour, I guess oil burning ships will be crossing the worlds oceans will ever increasing mountains  of batteries  to keep up with demand . 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

111 years of record keeping.

How many years have humans been on this planet ?

How many years has this planet been the making ?

 

111 years is the blink of an eye.

And that's the thing. The earth has been much hotter AND much colder in the past. But also in the past, transitioning to those stages took places over many thousands of years. Not in mere decades. Things are going to change so fast that we will struggle to adapt. The Permian-Triassic extinction event, aka "The Great Dying" had temperatures 8 degrees higher than now. And we lost a huge amount of life forms. Over 90% of marine species becoming extinct for a start. 

Personally I believe it is far too late for us to have any effect. We have started on a wild ride with a very real risk that my kids won't get to my age, or at the very least, without a drastic change in lifestyle. Piecemeal attempts like banning plastic bags while ignoring the much greater quantities wrapping the food is nonsense and far too late anyway. If all we get is severe storms, droughts, flooding, extreme cold due to the meandering polar vortex etc, we can count ourselves lucky. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

climate change or no climate change I keep asking what can anybody do about it ?

Everyones saying something has to be done and soon but nobody as far as I know has come up with any answers .

 

@David Yanke what do you propose to do?

will you go back to horse and cart to do your beekeeping rounds ?

Will you grow all your own food and meat and only eat food produced locally?

will you wear all non synthetic clothing?

Will you never travel in a motorised vehicle of any kind?

Will you never light a fire ?

 

What will you do that I and others could do to reduce climate change?

 

Yes, I asked the same question the other day and didn’t get a reply.  As you say - lots of people saying change has to happen but no one is saying what that change is that would make a meaningful difference.

Interestingly we had a large group of house guests here over new year - all early twenties uni students/graduates - and I asked what their thoughts on this issue were.  Unanimously they accepted climate change was real and a major issue but none of them could see how we could make the changes necessary to reverse or even slow the effects.  No one was prepared to make sacrifices.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Markypoo said:

And that's the thing. The earth has been much hotter AND much colder in the past. But also in the past, transitioning to those stages took places over many thousands of years. Not in mere decades. Things are going to change so fast that we will struggle to adapt. The Permian-Triassic extinction event, aka "The Great Dying" had temperatures 8 degrees higher than now. And we lost a huge amount of life forms. Over 90% of marine species becoming extinct for a start. 

Personally I believe it is far too late for us to have any effect. We have started on a wild ride with a very real risk that my kids won't get to my age, or at the very least, without a drastic change in lifestyle. Piecemeal attempts like banning plastic bags while ignoring the much greater quantities wrapping the food is nonsense and far too late anyway. If all we get is severe storms, droughts, flooding, extreme cold due to the meandering polar vortex etc, we can count ourselves lucky. 

 

Why do we discuss temps? 

Take the big picture, humans consumerism is destroying earth.

Business want us to be wasteful, throw it away. Makes production cheap and affordable for all to throw away

1 minute ago, Ted said:

Yes, I asked the same question the other day and didn’t get a reply.  As you say - lots of people saying change has to happen but no one is saying what that change is that would make a meaningful difference.

Interestingly we had a large group of house guests here over new year - all early twenties uni students/graduates - and I asked what their thoughts on this issue were.  Unanimously they accepted climate change was real and a major issue but none of them could see how we could make the changes necessary to reverse or even slow the effects.  No one was prepared to make sacrifices.

Because no viable options are available. 

For a reason, to keep us stuck. 

Government want our tax, spend please 

Poor young folk get bombed with adds to spend. The mantra, spending is good

 

  • Agree 8
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Why do we discuss temps? 

Take the big picture, humans consumerism is destroying earth.

Business want us to be wasteful, throw it away. Makes production cheap and affordable for all to throw away

I agree totally. But they are linked.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bron said:

I’m fishing for another day! It’s very green driving on the Ngati side of East Coast, more green grass and clover than I’ve ever seen in the 30 ish years I’ve been coming up here. We had two nights of showers so perhaps that’s why. When we were up here in December (also fishing) the Hawthorne was flowering hard out and the Manuka & Kanuka beginning to flower at the same time.

Tomorrow we fish then go home and think about work. 

What fish do you catch up there ?

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Yes a little chilly here.I will buy a rain gauge shortly.Talking to a farmer at Inchbonnie last week and they have had 5.7 mtrs of rain.I am sure ours would be at 7 or close to it.

I wish the people on the east coast wouldnt be so dam smug about their decent weather.

Us west coasters will remember this .

They should not expect any sympathy from us next time it all goes bad for them   . LOL

1 hour ago, Jas said:

‘This whole electric car thing is another thing too . Obviously we don’t make the batteries for them , or recycle them here , so unless we reincarnate the endeavour, I guess oil burning ships will be crossing the worlds oceans will ever increasing mountains  of batteries  to keep up with demand .

Energy storage is the critical bottle neck holding up the whole transition away from fossil fuels .

It needs a technological leap that hasnt happened yet .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

climate change or no climate change I keep asking what can anybody do about it ?

Everyones saying something has to be done and soon but nobody as far as I know has come up with any answers .

 

@David Yanke what do you propose to do?

will you go back to horse and cart to do your beekeeping rounds ?

Will you grow all your own food and meat and only eat food produced locally?

will you wear all non synthetic clothing?

Will you never travel in a motorised vehicle of any kind?

Will you never light a fire ?

 

What will you do that I and others could do to reduce climate change?

 

I have an idea: irrigate the Australian desert and plant it up in trees. It would be like another pair of lungs additional to the Amazon. 

There's plenty of water that falls as rain in the north of Oz and on the Eastern coast that goes straight out to sea and never touches the inland expanse. I.e.: it's wasted. Except in really rainy monsoon seasons when the water overflows up north and heads down the middle down to Lake Eyre. 

Unfortunately I can't see this happening, as it would require damming water and redirecting it, also changing habitats for some animals. Therefore there would always be some protestor with warped thinking standing in the way of the dam-making construction equipment. 

Interestingly, using the existing water resources over there to their maximum potential would also save human lives - if what the climate change devotees say is really true (and I'm not saying it isn't) then planting extra trees is part of the solution to climate change, as they are a carbon sink and would reduce the warming greenhouse effect. 

Unfortunately many of the same environmentalists would baulk at the idea of planting up 'pristine, wild, untouched desert'. It's exasperating. 

If it's such a dire situation, then why not jump at every possible way of alleviating the problem? But it won't happen because of the reason expounded in the fourth and sixth to last sentences of this spiele. 

Edited by Ruche
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than Quote the multiple questions about "What can we do" and the statement "We cant do anything"

Ill give a blanket opinion.

The day will come and its not too far away when we wont get asked what we can do

We will be told what we are going to do and how we are going do it.

The reality is that all we can do right now is prepare for this inevitability the best we can. 




 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 4
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, David Yanke said:

Populist Rhetoric= Hitler's Germany in the 1930's, or Trump's America now

Now to compare Trump to Hitler is quite a stretch, even though Trump isn't my favourite guy around, and you're talking about rhetoric rather than just the person.

Did the German press from 1933-1945 critique Hitler like the American press have the freedom to critique Trump nowadays? 

No, because otherwise Hitler would have had them suppressed, thrown into prison, killed. However much one detests Trump, one cannot, I repeat, cannot equate him with Hitler. 

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

That's really the sticking point. What can we do. ...? 

If we feel hopeless, nothing will happen. 

I feel action needs to happen at regulatory levels. Incentives to change. Or good options. 

I am a climate change believer, even if I am wrong it's a good thing to action change, less consumerism. Business hate that thought.

I agree change is good, Gino. And not all business hate change, in fact most long-term successful businesses embrace, or have embraced change. Also, less consumerism can still mean a growth in GDP, so business and the market ain't the enemy, it's just a reluctance to change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve been on the coast for the past three days and while the Manuka and Rata are flowering I’m not sure it’s been warm enough for the nectar to flow and the bees to work it.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:
4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

 

Well one thing we can all do that will make a difference although an immeasurable one.....take your own container to the Kebab shop !

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The West Coast of the South Island has to be one of the best places on this earth :) 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The West Coast of the South Island has to be one of the best places on this earth :) 

Great enormous herds of Namu, ravening hordes of mossies after dark, convoys of 55.5kmh tourist vans....5 metres of rain ......yeah right. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ruche said:

There's plenty of water that falls as rain in the north of Oz and on the Eastern coast that goes straight out to sea and never touches the inland expanse. I.e.: it's wasted.

The non human ecosystem that has evolved to rely on all that water going straight out to sea may not see it as wasted .

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

The non human ecosystem that has evolved to rely on all that water going straight out to sea may not see it as wasted .

Nevertheless, there's human's there now and they need water. I suppose mass migration and/or genocide might reduce the need for that water, but then we come up against ethics and morals, don't we? Quite a quandary (or not) for the eco-fascists. 

Anyway this isn't bee-related so I better shut up now.😀

Edited by Ruche

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

The non human ecosystem that has evolved to rely on all that water going straight out to sea may not see it as wasted .

And there may lie the root of the problem . Aussie has heaps of dams . Some claim that so much water is held up and redirected that it is changing the climate . There are other claims that redirecting so much water has changed the salinity of the sea where it is supposed to flow into , affecting the habitat of creatures that can no longer live there .

’wasted’ is a relative term depending on your view point .

 

Farmers think I ‘waste’ grass because I like it long so natural cycles and recycling can take place ,  creating habitats for microorganisms. DairyNZ claims if you don’t eat every blade with an animal , while it is short , it is being wasted. Two very differing points  of view .

 

The same theory can be used on Australian water 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Rather than Quote the multiple questions about "What can we do" and the statement "We cant do anything"

Ill give a blanket opinion.

The day will come and its not too far away when we wont get asked what we can do

We will be told what we are going to do and how we are going do it.

The reality is that all we can do right now is prepare for this inevitability the best we can. 




 

 

And who’s going to tell us??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ted said:

And who’s going to tell us??

The government obviously , under advise of their advisers. Remember the proposed FART tax , the billion tree programme , amongst others . All in the name of climate change , but actually revenue gathering streams 

Edited by M4tt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ted said:

And who’s going to tell us??

Whoever has the guns

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...