Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Have you noticed our complete lack of any  warm weather systems coming in from  the north east of NZ

For as long as I can remember this yr .

Can't say I have. It's very sticky/warm today

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

That sucks alright, how was the flowering? I would have thought to go from Mono last yr to Non Manuka this year something pretty drastic has occurred. 

Is the area very mixed forage with a poor bloom this year? 

How long ago did it finish flowering? 

rubbish flowering last year but really good this year.

manuka was overtaken by Kanuka so we think there’s too much Kanuka in the mix :( 

Seems there’s a heap of mono Manuka around it could be challenging trying to find a buyer .

It’s pretty obvious in my mind that the Manuka honey  market has really contracted and beekeepers have gone from no problems selling all the honey they produced to struggling to sell even the “ good stuff “

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

rubbish flowering last year but really good this year.

manuka was overtaken by Kanuka so we think there’s too much Kanuka in the mix :( 

Seems there’s a heap of mono Manuka around it could be challenging trying to find a buyer .

those new test standards are going to stuff with people's planning year to year...

has anyone heard of targeted grazing timing in areas that are pasture/manuka to minimise pasture flow while manuka is in flower? any potential there, particularly in landowner/beekeeper revenue share (rather than site rental) arrangements?

You might be pleased to know I'm no longer a corporate beek,  I abandoned  the big C ship today.

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You might be pleased to know I'm no longer a corporate beek,  I abandoned  the big C ship today.

jeepers, is that due to there approx 7% drop yesterday?

she's an interesting graph, filter on two year history: https://www.nzx.com/instruments/CVT

late last year a mate asked whether he should shift a significant amount of value into those shares, i said now based on my limited knowledge but obviously make your own investment decisions. He looked more deeply into it and agreed it looked bad, seems like he saved himself a loss

Edited by tommy dave

6 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

jeepers, is that due to there approx 7% drop yesterday?

Not particularly. There's just waaaay more upside elsewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Can't say I have. It's very sticky/warm today

Do you have wind ?

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

electrolytes are the go.
Drinking water just replaces lost water and your remaining salts are further diluted with every drink
The result is a feeling of being washed out by days end.
Add electrolytes and everything changes for the better.

Also , drink warm water not cold water

The local bottle store does a gd rehydration pack

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Not particularly. There's just waaaay more upside elsewhere.

i hear ya. Friends give me grief into feeding any spare $$ into my mortgage rather than investing - "man, don't you back yourself to beat 3.5% on the markets?!?!"

very small numbers so probably has a difference of about $10 per annum or so

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Do you have wind ?

Umm err maybe, maybe not....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Big drop.

I imagine big C has a good crop this season. When they share that news share price will lift.  For a while. Positive. Bit like when CEO left. 

On 28/01/2020 at 7:14 PM, manz said:

@Bron I know what you mean.  Been roped into extracting this year to save employing another worker which we can't afford. Should have taken today's temp - it got to 38 at 1pm !! We try to start before 7am so we can finish by 2pm but doesn’t always work that way. Plus my feet are aching from standing on the concrete floor all day. Every hour or so I walk into the cool store and hug the walls😥  Looks like the next few days are going to be even hotter 😩

20200124_111329-2-1-1-1.jpg

however its only 31% humidity. come to northland and enjoy our 80-90%.

i've done 32c in probably 100% humidity (had mist going past me) and thats was the closest thing to heat stoke i've had.

32 minutes ago, tristan said:

however its only 31% humidity. come to northland and enjoy our 80-90%.

i've done 32c in probably 100% humidity (had mist going past me) and thats was the closest thing to heat stoke i've had.

We never seem to drop below 60% and often cruise along at 90%.

Even if its only 25 c you can break a sweat without doing anything .

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Stoney said:

Very true.. I don’t hear them complaining about collecting it when it’s the only option for tucker.. 

very minimal chewing for me this season.. like hardly any.

Maybe chewing staples is more attractive when there’s not much to forage like last season... 

Next spring will be interesting?

Id say 20% of Hives are chewers, in a chewing season.

Although I do remember a good season back where the Bees completely chewed ziplock bags leaving only the ziplock.

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1

21 hours ago, kaihoka said:

We never seem to drop below 60% and often cruise along at 90%.

Even if its only 25 c you can break a sweat without doing anything .

absolutely. there is many places around the country that average 80% humidity. nz is damp.

also you only need to 80-85% before mold can start growing. yet what do we dry our homes with.

• Like 1

@tristan I used to be a dairy farmer in Ruawai so I know about the humidity up there. Don't miss it. This morning at 9am it was 36deg in the shed !!! - I'm glad I've got tomorrow off cause it's supposed to get worse.

I asked my doctor a while back about electrolyte and he told me just to drink water.. I don't chill it as I find it hard to drink enough when it's cold.. Warm, wet and plenty of it is all I ask for.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, john berry said:

I asked my doctor a while back about electrolyte and he told me just to drink water.. I don't chill it as I find it hard to drink enough when it's cold.. Warm, wet and plenty of it is all I ask for.

Try some for a day and compare how you feel at days end.
Especially when I was younger Id work at the very limit of what was possible and the difference when taking electrolytes was huge. 

I drink water or beer cooled in cellar - right temp. For electrolytes I use food - meat. Smoked bacon, ham and sausages with seasonal tomatoes and paprika - usually..

• Like 2

Just had a few hives to do this morning and when I got there the wind was so strong it was scary. Bits of tree flying through the air and then a mini tornado full of leaves and grass. Back home here it is just a stiff breeze.

• Like 1

Life going on as normal here..overcast, calm , stuffy.

Rata.jpg

• Like 3

Life is going on normally here too.

Bees that make honey don’t seem to chew the staples.....

75CD012C-1C40-4534-B661-BA3C22453510.jpeg

• Like 1

I like a good field full of flowers and an unchewed staple. 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

, calm ,

calm  .!!!!!

obviously we are on different planets.

its pretty windy here, even for us .

59 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

calm  .!!!!!

obviously we are on different planets.

its pretty windy here, even for us .

Windy in the valley as well and no rata