Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

3 minutes ago, M4tt said:

33 degrees in the Waikato. This nuc is in the shade 

30D6E2F0-72F3-4AC7-831A-1D6911547C00.jpeg

Will put sticks between the boxes for ventilation.?

• Like 1

Just now, kaihoka said:

Will put sticks between the boxes for ventilation.?

No they are fine. The top box is empty and undrawn. Sticks won’t drop the ambient air temp without wind 

• Like 1

At my place we wouldn't put sticks, bees should manage temperature inside. Some put sticks between boxes if want to bees propolise the gap and beeks can harvest that propolis. If the gap is helping bees, they won't propolise it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

No they are fine. The top box is empty and undrawn. Sticks won’t drop the ambient air temp without wind 

At 4pm each day lots of my bees exit my hive and hang out on the landing board .

That must be when the temp reaches go outside levels .

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

At 4pm each day lots of my bees exit my hive and hang out on the landing board .

That must be when the temp reaches go outside levels .

Either that or 4pm is west coast knock off time...  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

Either that or 4pm is west coast knock off time...  

I thought for a bit there must have been a flow that started then .

They pile out and lots take off and some hang out on  the deck .

We are having so much wind , warm wind , but bees hate any wind .

There is all this late flowering rata but their forage range is restricted .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

We are having so much wind , warm wind , but bees hate any wind .

There is all this late flowering rata but their forage range is restricted .

We had a sustained spell of gale nor west here, as soon as I had shifted my hives into there summer spot.. I was very surprised at the weight they had gained during that time.. you may be surprised but they do manage to do there jobs.. nature is a wonderful thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

We had a sustained spell of gale nor west here, as soon as I had shifted my hives into there summer spot.. I was very surprised at the weight they had gained during that time.. you may be surprised but they do manage to do there jobs.. nature is a wonderful thing. 

I have been surprised at how much honey they are bringing in.

We had a windy dec/jan last yr too , much hotter , but a terrible honey yr .

Nothing much flowered .

This yr lots are flowering and they are collecting despite the not ideal weather .

• Like 1

@Bron I know what you mean.  Been roped into extracting this year to save employing another worker which we can't afford. Should have taken today's temp - it got to 38 at 1pm !! We try to start before 7am so we can finish by 2pm but doesn’t always work that way. Plus my feet are aching from standing on the concrete floor all day. Every hour or so I walk into the cool store and hug the walls😥  Looks like the next few days are going to be even hotter 😩

20200124_111329-2-1-1-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

@manzi remember it well! We had the world biggest fan, over 2 feet across probably closer to 3 feet (My brain is still too fried to think in metric) in the honey house. Terrible to clean but lovely to stand in front of even if it threw the odd bee at you.

New yard tomorrow. No shade even for drinking water under! Coolest place is in the truck with the sunshade on the front window. Never rated them until recently when I worked out you could keep it up by attaching a couple of hair ties to the visor to hold it up!

Drink the water, seek shade when you can. I three quarter freeze our water bottles and top them up to put in the chilly bin, works a treat!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bron said:

Drink the water

electrolytes are the go.
Drinking water just replaces lost water and your remaining salts are further diluted with every drink
The result is a feeling of being washed out by days end.
Add electrolytes and everything changes for the better.

Also , drink warm water not cold water

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bron said:

@manzi remember it well! We had the world biggest fan, over 2 feet across probably closer to 3 feet (My brain is still too fried to think in metric) in the honey house. Terrible to clean but lovely to stand in front of even if it threw the odd bee at you.

New yard tomorrow. No shade even for drinking water under! Coolest place is in the truck with the sunshade on the front window. Never rated them until recently when I worked out you could keep it up by attaching a couple of hair ties to the visor to hold it up!

Drink the water, seek shade when you can. I three quarter freeze our water bottles and top them up to put in the chilly bin, works a treat!

I don't envy Daley, even if she is on home duties, must be insanely hot for her right now.

On 24/01/2020 at 7:48 PM, kaihoka said:

To be honest its pretty dry here too.

Theres lots of NZ would like to see a forecast like Otira.

What about karamea , did anyone go there .?

Yes,the bretheren group travel all the way from Timaru looking for Manuka in Karamea.Don't try coming here in Otira for the S.Rata because it aint happening.You should know that a good flowering happens once every 4 to 5 years.

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Yes,the bretheren group travel all the way from Timaru looking for Manuka in Karamea.Don't try coming here in Otira for the S.Rata because it aint happening.You should know that a good flowering happens once every 4 to 5 years.

Did the manuka flower well in karamea too ?

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Did the manuka flower well in karamea too ?

I guess so but so did the Rata I believe so not much Manuka would come out of Karamea I would think, just like Charleston

• Thanks 1

We have only just started harvesting and have had our first test results back.

have gone from a mono Manuka last year to a non Manuka this year on our first batch so that sucks.

It means we have gone from making a profit in that area to making a big loss so that sucks.

• Sad 6

8 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

have gone from a mono Manuka last year to a non Manuka this year on our first batch so that sucks.

It means we have gone from making a profit in that area to making a big loss so that sucks.

Did this area flower M well? 

11 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

That sucks alright, how was the flowering? I would have thought to go from Mono last yr to Non Manuka this year something pretty drastic has occurred. 

Is the area very mixed forage with a poor bloom this year? 

How long ago did it finish flowering? 

36 minutes ago, Stoney said:

That sucks alright, how was the flowering? I would have thought to go from Mono last yr to Non Manuka this year something pretty drastic has occurred. 

Is the area very mixed forage with a poor bloom this year? 

How long ago did it finish flowering? 

I do not know exactly frazz area but around here everything flowered well.

Bees may not have bothered. Manuka .

It would have been a spectacular honey year if it were not for the forever wind .

Kanuka is still flowering in higher and shady areas around here, and going really strongly all through Rainbow

43 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I do not know exactly frazz area but around here everything flowered well.

Bees may not have bothered. Manuka .

It would have been a spectacular honey year if it were not for the forever wind .

Everything flowered really well here also, for my area the real heat and settled weather came after I harvested but still produced well. 

Last season my honey crop was low numbers and multi.. this yr all has tested as mono. 

Was interested to try figure the variations between this season and last for Frazz to go from mono to non Manuka. 

4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Kanuka is still flowering in higher and shady areas around here, and going really strongly all through Rainbow

Most beekeepers here cut the manuka crop off once kanuka begins to bloom then have a second harvest  once it’s all finished. 

Boy it’s turned into a real scorcher of a season, down on the stoney ground the bees are very Robby.. crunchy plants don’t yield much but dust... 

off to the beach now for a cast, temp will be 10 deg cooler there than at home right now 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

this yr all has tested as mono. 

Lol, after a few years of chewing on staples the Bees have decided that Manuka doesn't taste so bad after all

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Lol, after a few years of chewing on staples the Bees have decided that Manuka doesn't taste so bad after all

Very true.. I don’t hear them complaining about collecting it when it’s the only option for tucker.. 

very minimal chewing for me this season.. like hardly any.

Maybe chewing staples is more attractive when there’s not much to forage like last season... 

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Have you noticed our complete lack of any  warm weather systems coming in from  the north east of NZ

For as long as I can remember this yr .