Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

13 hours ago, Ted said:

So how does this sit with codex??  If Kanuka and Manuka pollen can be distinguished should they not be sold/labelled as such?

They already are .

you only need to google Kanuka honey images to get pages of results of company’s selling Kanuka.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

how come you are always employing them? Is it because they wear out or because they breakdown after a while?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

They already are .

you only need to google Kanuka honey images to get pages of results of company’s selling Kanuka.

Didn’t you say you sell all yours as Manuka regardless of whether it’s Manuka or Kanuka? 

Where im heading with this is many people are saying the MPI standard is not an accurate indication of genuine Manuka but  neither is pollen analysis if Manuka and Kanuka is all being lumped in together.  If your pollen “guy” can distinguish Manuka pollen from Kanuka pollen surely you should be seperating your batches depending on pollen counts??  

2 hours ago, ChrisM said:

how come you are always employing them? Is it because they wear out or because they breakdown after a while?

Maybe it's because they get sick of reading stuff like this....

20200123_171626 (Medium).jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Didn’t you say you sell all yours as Manuka regardless of whether it’s Manuka or Kanuka? 

ummm NO.....

We sell our honey to buyers who are buying on MPI standards.

pollen count hasn’t been asked for since the standard came out. 
what they sell it as I have no idea.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

24 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

ummm NO.....

We sell our honey to buyers who are buying on MPI standards.

pollen count hasn’t been asked for since the standard came out. 
what they sell it as I have no idea.

Ok fair enough - problem solved.  The MPI standard has eliminated Manuka/Kanuka blends being passed off as Manuka.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, CraBee said:

There is someone in the SI who does pollen counts and when I asked him / her about distinguishing manuka from kanuka they said they can't.  I said how do you know what it is then.  And the answer was "whatever our customer tells us it is".  So if I'd have wanted to I'd could readily sent kanuka in and told him / her it was manuka and got a "manuka" pollen count for my kanuka.

Pollen  Counts are useless when it comes to defining a Honey as Manuka or not.  If you get a 70%  'Manuka' Pollen count, probably 90% of that 70% is Kanuka Pollen.  Kanuka produces huge amounts of Pollen, Manuka very little. When you pay for a Pollen  count they are not distinguishing between Kanuka and Manuka Pollen. Up in the Far North the Manuka and Kanuka flower totally separately-  when we get straight Manuka, there is buggar all Manuka Pollen in it, and when the Kanuka comes in it is full of Manuka/Kanuka Pollen, even though there is no Manuka flowering. Our Manuka is a lightish, fine, almost delicate honey that I rate highly, while Kanuka is dark, heavy, almost caramel like, but worse tasting than caramel, and I don't rate it at all, and because it has such massively high 3-PLA it encourages blenders to use it to adulterate Manuka, and make their Manuka go further! 

• Good Info 1

22 hours ago, Maggie James said:

The latest labs have good equipment and when I have seen the microscopy slides the pollen is a different shape. Maybe someone that works in a lab could comment on this with an experienced opinion.  

To my taste Kanuka and manuka definitely are two different tastes, and at the moment kanuka isn't bringing a great price. Yet to me kanuka is a pleasant tasting honey; not the strong toffee flavour of manuka

In this area, historically beekeepers and packers have sold/bought mainly on pollen counts

What do you see as the current market price for kanuka Maggie?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, David Yanke said:

Pollen  Counts are useless when it comes to defining a Honey as Manuka or not.  If you get a 70%  'Manuka' Pollen count, probably 90% of that 70% is Kanuka Pollen.  Kanuka produces huge amounts of Pollen, Manuka very little. When you pay for a Pollen  count they are not distinguishing between Kanuka and Manuka Pollen. Up in the Far North the Manuka and Kanuka flower totally separately-  when we get straight Manuka, there is buggar all Manuka Pollen in it, and when the Kanuka comes in it is full of Manuka/Kanuka Pollen, even though there is no Manuka flowering. Our Manuka is a lightish, fine, almost delicate honey that I rate highly, while Kanuka is dark, heavy, almost caramel like, but worse tasting than caramel, and I don't rate it at all, and because it has such massively high 3-PLA it encourages blenders to use it to adulterate Manuka, and make their Manuka go further! 

I failed school C science, but thought dosent matter Ill never use it.

But beekeeping today is all about science, I could have 3 different batches that I could blend together to get a very good blend that ticks all the boxes, not looking at flowers, colour or taste, only numbers on a spreadsheet.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ted said:

Ok fair enough - problem solved.  The MPI standard has eliminated Manuka/Kanuka blends being passed off as Manuka.

are you sure about that ?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

are you sure about that ?

Can’t be sure of anything these days (could we ever) but when I see the price of Kanuka go from $24 kg to $4 it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

5 hours ago, David Yanke said:

It is the opposite down here.

Manuka is very dark and strong .

Kanuka lighter and milder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, kaihoka said:

It is the opposite down here.

Manuka is very dark and strong .

Kanuka lighter and milder.

Same here. Manuka is amber, rich tasting with slightly bitter aftertaste which leaves your tounge a bit numb. kanuka a almost cleat light green colour and milder  taste. 

• Good Info 2

Drier than a dead dingo’s didgereedoo now..... but the honey is still flowing.

5984FFF5-90AE-4124-A967-1BE3F469B49E.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Drier than a dead dingo’s didgereedoo now..... but the honey is still flowing.

What sort of honey .?

Did you head off after rata ?

Its still flowering here , much later than normal I think . Its normally finished by now .

31 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What sort of honey .?

Did you head off after rata ?

Its still flowering here , much later than normal I think . Its normally finished by now .

BORAGE .....

soon as we do e hay carting we’ll go look for more flowers.

U gotta be joking Big hands

9404862A-4AE4-408D-B08F-158FF6F389FE.png

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, jamesc said:

BORAGE .....

soon as we do e hay carting we’ll go look for more flowers.

U gotta be joking Big hands

9404862A-4AE4-408D-B08F-158FF6F389FE.png

Be kinda nice here....

To be honest its pretty dry here too.

Theres lots of NZ would like to see a forecast like Otira.

What about karamea , did anyone go there .?

Phew! You go away for a week and a lot happens here!

very dry here in the Port Hills now. Nectar has stopped flowing. Putting in escapes and pulling supers now. Some boxes very heavy and some only half full. 

I wish there was a bit more flow to get some of these boxes capped!

45 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

To be honest its pretty dry here too.

Theres lots of NZ would like to see a forecast like Otira.

What about karamea , did anyone go there .?

Was up at Westport and Fox river fishing last week. Manuka full of flower in Westport and Pahutakawa and Rata flowering fox river area.  Hope the Rata flowers down Hoki way later. Bees been lovin this last few weeks fine weather. Boxes filling fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YTB8TA270 said:

Was up at Westport and Fox river fishing last week. Manuka full of flower in Westport and Pahutakawa and Rata flowering fox river area.  Hope the Rata flowers down Hoki way later. Bees been lovin this last few weeks fine weather. Boxes filling fast.

Its an advantage for you to have the rata flower later when the weather is settled.

It can start to early for us .

21 hours ago, jamesc said:

BORAGE .....

It will be a like a continous loop in Dr Who if we restart the "it's not borage" thread again about Echium Honey.

• Haha 5

The world is indeed round.

• Haha 1

33 degrees in the Waikato. This nuc is in the shade 

30D6E2F0-72F3-4AC7-831A-1D6911547C00.jpeg

• Like 1