Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

NZers are  discerning when it comes to labeling, they like things labeled truly

Really??  Pity the Manuka standard doesn’t apply to domestic sales then.

3 minutes ago, Ted said:

Really??  Pity the Manuka standard doesn’t apply to domestic sales then.

Round here most people's manuka honey is at least 70% manuka pollen count.  manuka blend at least 30% manuka pollen count.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Round here most people's manuka honey is at least 70% manuka pollen count.  manuka blend at least 30% manuka pollen count.

So you think most Manuka honey sold in supermarkets would be mono Manuka??

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

just as well it doesn’t apply domestically.

the Manuka standard is a standard pulled out of someones bum.

Just because MPI says you have to meet a particular criteria to call honey Manuka doesn’t mean honey that fails The chosen standard isn’t Manuka .

Maybe, maybe not.  The point is there is a whole lot of blends being sold as Manuka in nz.

20 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Who does that pollen count though?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Who cares? Isn't Kanuka pollen too similar to M? 

17 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Well just that, is it a manuka pollen count or a manuka / kanuka pollen count?

• Agree 1

Catsear. The only real source of ‘Rukuhia Gold Honey ‘

It’ll flow with the moisture of a morning fog and is a highly valuable source of protein for cattle when it’s too harsh for anything else to grow .

I love the stuff 😊

F9F01513-7192-4A6E-8120-3CF7C389308C.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

our pollen guy could always tell Manuka from Kanuka and our results read as such.

for example 

“Manuka/ Kanuka 86% ( mostly Kanuka)  “

or vice versa

Edited by frazzledfozzle

I just collected a $0.31 bill from IRD. Penalty for being 4 days late with my gst return. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I just collected a $0.31 bill from IRD. Penalty for being 4 days late with my gst return. 

Few months ago I got a $250 Bill for being 30 hours late filing paye details. Wasn't late with payment just the Info.

The joys of giving a young fella a job.

• Sad 3

Home hives. Hive B. I have AFB protocols on since recognising the disease in late winter. I had to take off the honey and put in varroa strips because of DWV. So hive B. has 3 x 3/4 brood, 2 semi capped supers, wets and cappings plus strips. Have to clean everything down and sort hive C. tomorrow, D on Friday. The perils of living in a valley with hundreds of hives. I will certainly have to treat again in Autumn. Delicious bitter sweet honey though.

IMG_4811.JPG

Edited by Apihappy
  • Like 1

Blue borage is the common name used . You could equally call it Patterson's curse honey or salvation Jane honey.

Names are changed all the time. Tamarilo /tree tomato. Venison /cervena (or something like that) kiwifruit/Chinese gooseberry or way back in the day CITRUS apiarys HONEY /manuka .

A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

our pollen guy could always tell Manuka from Kanuka and our results read as such.

for example 

“Manuka/ Kanuka 86% ( mostly Kanuka)  “

or vice versa

So your pollen guy included Manuka and Kanuka in the same count??

6 minutes ago, john berry said:

lue borage is the common name used . You could equally call it Patterson's curse honey or salvation Jane honey.

I have done patterson's curse, also known as Salvation Jane and that is echium platigineum and I loved it and it came up on honey analysis.  Great stuff to gets lot of comb drawn out.  

4 hours ago, CraBee said:

Well just that, is it a manuka pollen count or a manuka / kanuka pollen count?

Exactly.  The discussion was around accuracy of labeling and if Manuka/Kanuka pollen counts are combined then it is not accurate.

5 hours ago, M4tt said:

Catsear. I’ve got Paddocks full of it 

0041161B-7D6A-4E6E-8B1A-933E158AF472.jpeg

My rabbits love it too.

They would be so happy to live in that paddock .

No worries about them digging holes unless you reinforce their feet with titanium .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

the Manuka standard is a standard pulled out of someones bum.

Sounds exquisite agony

8 hours ago, Ted said:

So you think most Manuka honey sold in supermarkets would be mono Manuka??

Why would a packer sell mono Manuka for the same price as 70% Manuka or a 30% blend?

8 hours ago, CraBee said:

Any of the three main labs in the Nth Is or if you are selling to Airborne their lab, and I guess there are outfits that have their own labs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted said:

So your pollen guy included Manuka and Kanuka in the same count??

yes he did because back then Manuka / Kanuka was all the same thing.

Before there was money in Manuka, Kanuka was never even talked about, it was always put under Manuka whether you were talking honey or firewood or whatever.

Kanuka honey was just as worthless as Manuka honey.

• Agree 3

Actually kanuka was ever so slightly more desirable than manuka as it was slightly easier to extract and filter. What has really upset me about the standard is that clover with a high percentage of manuka will pass the mono floral manuka test with flying colours but manuka with a bit of kanuka will fail. The two were always packed as the same thing.

Manuka from my hives has always had a low UMF rating so I have never chased the ridiculous high prices and have been more than happy with getting a reasonable premium for my manuka and manuka\kanuka honeys and then we had all those criminals coming along and deliberately adulterating manuka to make it go further and now we suffer for their crimes and crimes I believe they were.

MPI should have prosecuted those that were deliberately  committing fraud and left the rest of us alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Sounds exquisite agony

Why would a packer sell mono Manuka for the same price as 70% Manuka or a 30% blend?

Any of the three main labs in the Nth Is or if you are selling to Airborne their lab, and I guess there are outfits that have their own labs

There is someone in the SI who does pollen counts and when I asked him / her about distinguishing manuka from kanuka they said they can't.  I said how do you know what it is then.  And the answer was "whatever our customer tells us it is".  So if I'd have wanted to I'd could readily sent kanuka in and told him / her it was manuka and got a "manuka" pollen count for my kanuka.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

The latest labs have good equipment and when I have seen the microscopy slides the pollen is a different shape. Maybe someone that works in a lab could comment on this with an experienced opinion.  

To my taste Kanuka and manuka definitely are two different tastes, and at the moment kanuka isn't bringing a great price. Yet to me kanuka is a pleasant tasting honey; not the strong toffee flavour of manuka

In this area, historically beekeepers and packers have sold/bought mainly on pollen counts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

yes he did because back then Manuka / Kanuka was all the same thing.

Before there was money in Manuka, Kanuka was never even talked about, it was always put under Manuka whether you were talking honey or firewood or whatever.

Kanuka honey was just as worthless as Manuka honey.

So how does this sit with codex??  If Kanuka and Manuka pollen can be distinguished should they not be sold/labelled as such?