Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

3 hours ago, Alc said:

Can we please stick to bees, I know they depend on the climate, but if I wanted to read non referenced opinions of climate skeptics I would listen more to trump and the other ‘experts’ that don’t believe it’s happening.  maybe start a new thread so I can not waste my time reading it? 

checked all hives today, nectar slowing down, we have incredibly dry conditions.  Some pohutukawa nectar still uncapped which is crystallising already!  Pohutukawa are pretty much finished, Kanuka seems to have finished here now Too.  I spread parsley seeds everywhere there was bare soil earlier in the year most is flowering now, and covered with bees! 

the bees will get pollen from parsley.

have you considered something like mustard,  buckwheat  or phacelia which will give a honey flow.

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

I’ve just taste tested the first of this seasons creamed honey.

It is stronger and darker than usual, probably because there is no clover in it because there has been hardly any around this year.

A darn nice drop if I may say so 

Tomorrow I will take some Persian Clover honey off ( it was supposed to be Crimson clover ,  but there is not a single plant of that in the sward). It has virtually finished flowering now , so it needs grazing . Apparently the seed will germinate in cow dung after its been through the cow 

78BAD1BC-9645-44AA-8FFE-E716D0FD013D.jpeg

09CFFF98-5F48-4568-9A34-0A9A26894D59.jpeg

thats not to dark for cats ear, would have thought it darker than that

3 hours ago, jamesc said:

Ok ... it’s a warm day down here in the gully with no rain forcaste for a week or so...

But....

I have my granddads  weather forcasting device from way back when before the era of cellphones and radio coms.

It comes from the clipper days and records pressure differential.

In the last few hours the atmospheric pressure had dropped dramatically.... but the barometer is steady.

This gadget measures things days out...

Now ... whats that cyclone doing up in Fiji?

0F35318B-7E04-4AC4-BA69-32738EA14E98.jpeg

nice, what way does it work

Weather has turned great .

Hills are full of flowers , rata , kanuka , manuka , mahoe , native jasmine  and white rata starting .

Me and the bees , we are very happy .

• Like 4

Been trying to get on top of some paperwork today. Can anyone point me in the direction of the mpi statement regarding oxalic acid and formic acid for own use that came out late last year.

Thanks Jamo

11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Weather has turned great .

Hills are full of flowers , rata , kanuka , manuka , mahoe , native jasmine  and white rata starting .

Me and the bees , we are very happy .

I hope your boxes are filling nicely, youve waited awhile for the good weather.  Ive just put a 5th 3/4 box on two of mine while the rest have three. No sign of Rata flowering here yet but still the odd Kamahi flower and white Rata starting. Went fishing at Fox River the other day and good Rata flowering there so signs are good for here next month i hope.

21 minutes ago, YTB8TA270 said:

I hope your boxes are filling nicely, youve waited awhile for the good weather.  Ive just put a 5th 3/4 box on two of mine while the rest have three. No sign of Rata flowering here yet but still the odd Kamahi flower and white Rata starting. Went fishing at Fox River the other day and good Rata flowering there so signs are good for here next month i hope.

Has your weather turned nice too .

The temps are still a lot colder than the last two summers .

The sea off the west coast has been consistently two and up to three degrees colder this summer . Last two summers it has been up to three degrees warmer .  Thats 6 degrees difference .

Our rata will finish in week I think .  It starts  flowering before christmas here and gradually works its way down the west  coast . The cooler weather has delayed flowering this yr .

Kamahi finished here beginning of dec.

Since I have been discussing things on the forum I have realised that what happens here in the bush is a good indication of how flowering will be later further down the coast .

I've done my harvesting, squashed them down to three boxes, treatment coming up soon when they've sorted the  wets & cappings .

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I've done my harvesting, squashed them down to three boxes, treatment coming up soon when they've sorted the  wets & cappings .

Is there more honey coming in if you wanted it .

I have learnt if you want the bees to clean up  and refil the wets properly you have to put them on when theres a flow.

If I take too much wax off when I scrape and put it back in the hive when the flows nearly over they cap the frame over with thin layer of honey .

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is there more honey coming in if you wanted it .

Not much. Kanuka's finished within range here/

5 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I have learnt if you want the bees to clean up  and refil the wets properly you have to put them on when theres a flow.

I do the plonk the wets in an a box on top of an empty box above a lid with a hole in it thing...

• Thanks 1

I attempted some sugar shakes today but there is too much fresh nectar getting put next to brood . The bees get drenched in nectar upon dumping in the container , so it will have to wait till nature winds the tap back .

Of course , this wouldn’t matter with an alcohol wash but I’m not that callous 

• Good Info 1

2 hours ago, M4tt said:

I attempted some sugar shakes today but there is too much fresh nectar getting put next to brood . The bees get drenched in nectar upon dumping in the container , so it will have to wait till nature winds the tap back .

Of course , this wouldn’t matter with an alcohol wash but I’m not that callous 

being callous has nothing to do with it M4tt, your hive has more bees dying everyday than you would kill in a every now and then alcohol shake. what if you wait to long so you can do a sugar shake and find you mite numbers to high. how many bees will die then. When you finish taking your honey off what happens to all those bees?

Just do the shake and bee done with it.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

being callous has nothing to do with it M4tt, your hive has more bees dying everyday than you would kill in a every now and then alcohol shake. what if you wait to long so you can do a sugar shake and find you mite numbers to high. how many bees will die then. When you finish taking your honey off what happens to all those bees?

Just do the shake and bee done with it.

Yes you are quite right . Good perspective 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M4tt said:

Yes you are quite right . Good perspective 😊

What sort of alcohol do you use .

I have some industrial stuff for cleaning my garlic .

Or do you use whisky or vodka etc

7 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

What sort of alcohol do you use .

I have some industrial stuff for cleaning my garlic .

Or do you use whisky or vodka etc

meths is the way

Cheap

• Thanks 1

I read an article that bees can get drunk too.. In fact funny to hear that they act similar to humans, being bully and annoying. Also got corralled by other bees in some corner until they get sober. It wasn't written how they cope with hangover though..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Has your weather turned nice too .

The temps are still a lot colder than the last two summers .

The sea off the west coast has been consistently two and up to three degrees colder this summer . Last two summers it has been up to three degrees warmer .  Thats 6 degrees difference .

Our rata will finish in week I think .  It starts  flowering before christmas here and gradually works its way down the west  coast . The cooler weather has delayed flowering this yr .

Kamahi finished here beginning of dec.

Since I have been discussing things on the forum I have realised that what happens here in the bush is a good indication of how flowering will be later further down the coast .

Borage is putting on a bit of a show... Rata is coming slowly....a bit of a case of wait and see.

paddocks of clovet that hsd potential last week are now done.

where to next Kimosabhe?

C8F2DD68-BE81-4AEA-A630-C23C856F35E7.jpeg

• Like 3

Borage.....perpetuating the myth.......

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Borage is putting on a bit of a show... Rata is coming slowly....a bit of a case of wait and see.

paddocks of clovet that hsd potential last week are now done.

where to next Kimosabhe?

C8F2DD68-BE81-4AEA-A630-C23C856F35E7.jpeg

That beautiful .

What is the pink flowers .

How far south does the echium grow .?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

Borage.....perpetuating the myth.......

yeah.... isnt it viper's bugloss (and echium)? very different to the borage i also have at home... thought u can call it blue borage supposedly, but that seems odd as borage also has blue flowers

(just had to do it yesbut! 😉 )

Edited by Rashika

2 hours ago, Rashika said:

yeah.... isnt it viper's bugloss (and echium)? very different to the borage i also have at home... thought u can call it blue borage supposedly, but that seems odd as borage also has blue flowers

(just had to do it yesbut! 😉 )

I get annoyed that everyone calls vipers bugloss blue  borage when it is not.Like not naming the ratas sepertately.N Rata honey is a completely different colour to S.Rata. SI label my honey true to variety after getting the pollen analysis back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bighands said:

I get annoyed that everyone calls vipers bugloss blue  borage when it is not.Like not naming the ratas sepertately.N Rata honey is a completely different colour to S.Rata. SI label my honey true to variety after getting the pollen analysis back.

How can you tell the ratas apart in the frames .

What colour is northern rata .

It would be very hard to get the consumer to start calling borage honey ,echium honey .

It would be a marketing disaster .

Still be truthful in what you sell.You cannot tell the difference between S and N Rata in the frames but it is not the frames you are selling,it is the honey extracted from these frames and you can differentiate then.It is great telling people the difference between N and S Rata trees, so many people do not know.

• Like 1