Trevor Gillbanks

Apiary Diary. January 2020

Well,  What to say.  Another decade is rapidly fading into the past and all the doomsayers are still with us.

We did not enter a new Ice age in 1970's.

We did not run out of oil in the 1990's.

We did not lose the polar ice caps in 2000's.

We did not all drown in 2010's (Rising sea levels).

And I am not sure what we were all meant to die of in the 2010's (oh yes Global warming) (Climate change)

Have a fantastic 2020 people.  

May your God give you everything that you need in your life.

Let's hope for a fantastic bee season also. (however that looks for you)

Let's all say a prayer for the victims of the Australian bush fires.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

We did not lose the polar ice caps in 2000's.

Hi Trev - You forgot the Millennium Bug - Our computers were all going to be defunct and planes drop out of the sky

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well said Trev.

It may well be smoke inhalation that gets us in 2020, it's very hazy outside this morning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Russ said:

it's very hazy outside this morning.

For the past week we have been getting hazy grey skies above the Plains and no doubt that is the contents of Australia floating over us.  Some days you can smell the smoke, and it's not from local farms at this time of the year. 

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

Hi Trev - You forgot the Millennium Bug - Our computers were all going to be defunct and planes drop out of the sky

Yes.  Forgot that.

Also need to add.

Everyone of those supposed disasters all had a special tax to solve the problems.

The taxes never went away , they just go added to.

How can paying money to the UN assist with anything apart from making us all struggle. Oh yes, and there is a tax to pay all those struggling as well.

• Agree 1

Not forgetting those ongoing taxes to keep paying me me me me me Me ME !!!!

• Haha 2

I don't mind that, because I was getting mine before you.  However, we did earn it, so we are only getting a little refund

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

And the acid rain that was going to kill us all. 

All i remember is that it never rain when I was on acid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, we did earn it, so we are only getting a little refund

Speak for yourself, I've always been work shy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We spent millions planning for the millennium bug and now we will be spending millions on climate change.  Meanwhile climate change will just blow across the Tasman and the government would have achieved as much as King Canute in trying to hold back the tide.    

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Hector Wong said:

We spent millions planning for the millennium bug and now we will be spending millions on climate change.  Meanwhile climate change will just blow across the Tasman and the government would have achieved as much as King Canute in trying to hold back the tide.    

maybe, but there is a lot at stake, I think we could all try a little harder until proven otherwise. Yes for sure there have been all sorts of worries throughout history and most have proven to be unfounded. We were also told that thalidomide, DDT, asbestos and the Vietnam war would be totally safe and those promises proved to be unfounded too, so it can go both ways. I guess it all depends how much you like to gamble with your own future and future generations. Here we do lots of things to try to minimise our impact on the environment, none of it 'hurts', it actually pays a dividend, so I can't understand all this rhetoric and grandstanding by climate change deniers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1
  • Spoon 1

59 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

maybe, but there is a lot at stake, I think we could all try a little harder until proven otherwise. Yes for sure there have been all sorts of worries throughout history and most have proven to be unfounded. We were also told that thalidomide, DDT, asbestos and the Vietnam war would be totally safe and those promises proved to be unfounded too, so it can go both ways. I guess it all depends how much you like to gamble with your own future and future generations. Here we do lots of things to try to minimise our impact on the environment, none of it 'hurts', it actually pays a dividend, so I can't understand all this rhetoric and grandstanding by climate change deniers.

Sorry @ChrisM  That is so funny.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

thalidomide, DDT, asbestos and the Vietnam war would be totally safe and those promises proved to be unfounded too

Fortunately with thalidomide, the NZ govt were not at all keen on its use, so that diminished the cases in NZ.  With the Vietnam War we were very lucky that Sir Keith Holyoake was very anti full conscription.  DDT I can remember paddock fills of dead birds in the 60s.  Asbestos was used as a building product, and every ironing board had an asbestos board to place the hot iron on.  My father contracted asbestosis repairing Asian fishing boats, and maintenance in NZ freezing works because pipes were lagged with asbestos. 

I think climate change is real, and it is already here, and I believe it is evidenced in how the climate in my area has changed over the last few years, and the types of crops that are being grown.   Unlike the Millennium Bug, climate change is already scientifically recorded. 

...Meanwhile back on the Canterbury Plains we are already seeing die off in paddocks of clover.  It would appear that the flow is intermittent i.e. honey is being stored in comb frames, but foundation is not being drawn. 

A lot of grains have been grown the last two seasons, and these always to better in a hot climate.  Also there has been a lot of peas and beans grown. 

The last couple of weeks the strong winds have abated, thank goodness, and at long last we have got some good matings.  I had to cull queens from Day 11 cells put out on 28 November

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

@Trevor Gillbanks
Has organised to quit this world a good month before it all goes pear shapped so he wont have to be around listening to all of us saying I told you so .  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

pear shapped

I am really partial to pears!  Like them on a cheeseboard, in chutneys, or poached in wine!

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Trevor Gillbanks
Has organised to quit this world a good month before it all goes pear shaped so he wont have to be around listening to all of us saying I told you so .  😁

If I have to wait until 1 month before the collapse I will be about 1000 years old.  

• Haha 3

Climate change is here in front of us and is incredibly real.  The evidence is compelling.

• Agree 7

Obviously, all the self employed beeks aren't having the day off!  It was flamin hot in a bee suit today - needed electrolytes

Posted (edited)

Kanuka in the comb from today - a dark green colour, but then when the comb is broken open it appears more of a golden colour.  Can anyone tell me why?

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

3 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Obviously, all the self employed beeks aren't having the day off!  It was flamin hot in a bee suit today - needed electrolytes

Blow that.  You need to go naked (oh, I didn't really mean "naked", just no protective gear :-).  I did the first graft of the year today, hoping to crank out some Queens over the next few months.

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

If there is a flow on, I do wear less protective stuff, otherwise the heat would be unbearable - overalls, not a zip up veil - just one over a cap, no gloves.  It was 37 degrees, and the yard was v sheltered.  It's also good not needing much smoke on a flow.

We had such abysmal mating this spring, I have started the autumn grafting a lot earlier.  The guys are really experienced and hence understanding, and they are going to start splitting nucs this week and recelling, so we can get on top of their autumn requeening, with the plan that we will be on top of things going into next spring. 

Can't comment on the kanuka issue, cos don't do the stuff

Your stock looks nice!

Edited by Maggie James

We were all under smoke haze today , a orange grey sky

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Kanuka in the comb from today - a dark green colour, but then when the comb is broken open it appears more of a golden colour.  Can anyone tell me why?

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

Blow that.  You need to go naked (oh, I didn't really mean "naked", just no protective gear :-).  I did the first graft of the year today, hoping to crank out some Queens over the next few months.

It maybe the way light moves through the density of the liquid in the hexagonal cells .

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

We were all under smoke haze today , a orange grey sky

So do you have sun? Another dull grey day here in the valley. bees working as temps are up.Kamahi only.No Rata showing yet but it is still too early.

Just now, Bighands said:

So do you have sun? Another dull grey day here in the valley. bees working as temps are up.Kamahi only.No Rata showing yet but it is still too early.

We had an orange ball that got duller as the day progressed .

We were expecting a nasty souwest but had not much wind .

Bees working rata and mahoe . Kamahi all but finished .

So much manuka and kanuka , I am  wondering if the bees are in it .

5 hours ago, ChrisM said:

so I can't understand all this rhetoric and grandstanding by climate change deniers.

Not a climate change denier.  Climate is changing , I remember walking home from school as a child and skating on the frozen puddles on the side of the road after a week of continuous frosts.  Don't see that anymore.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2