Chandan

Bumble bee nest for removal

Hi 

I stumbled across a forum discussion (Bumble Bee Nest For Removal) when doing a google search on how best to remove a bumble bee nest without resorting to sprays. In October 2013 @@Alastair and @@johnhi30 arranged for the successful removal of a nest in Glenfield, Auckland. I live in Pakuranga and would really appreciate if someone is able to remove a nest under my house as well? I love having the bees around but my neighbours don’t want them and have suggested using sprays so if possible can they be relocated somewhere close.

Contact number 02102208806

Thanks!

Edited by Chandan
Forgot to mention some details

Bit out of my turf Chandan, but a member closer to Pakuranga may be interested.

There is no easy way to remove a bumble bee nest from under a house.  I've done them a number of times - it involves crawling in, preferable after dark (so the foragers are at home), and picking the bees out with tweezers under red light (so they don't fly), then scooping out the brood comb and taking it away.  If they go into an inaccessible space like under a slab - you have to let them stay or kill them.  BUT I always point out that nests last a few months at most, so by the time they are busy enough to be noticed they are often "gone" within a small number of weeks. (Mature colonies switch to queen/drone production - these disperse and the workers eventually all die off). I'm not sure what the interest of the neighbours is: Perhaps they see foragers in their garden.  If so, it's unlikely many come from your nest.  Unless someone harasses a nest directly I don't see any danger to people.  I've had a nest under my childrens' playhouse and none of us noticed it for weeks.

Let me know if  can help placate any concerned persons.

• Thanks 1

I had a Zonda nest in my backyard one year and in the cluster of 8 houses around us there were no problems.  In fact much curiousity (I had asked first if I could have the nest in the area).  A few observations  about bumble bees in gardens but nowhere near the same numbers of the honey bees seen in gardens.

Bumble bees are vital for growing broad beans - first year, no beans, then got a basic salvia they really like and then enough to feed a village in beans, off about the same number of plants - in many ways, it was that discovery that got me interested in honey bees as I had had a go at grafting fruit trees, and realised they needed pollinating.

• Good Info 1