Margot C

New caledonian vet willing to get beekeeping experience in NZ

Hi there,

I am a vet working at the bee disease surveillance network in New Caledonia and I am coming to the North island of New Zealand in February.

I am keen on working for one month in a beekeeping operation to discover different beekeeping practices ! I am not an experienced beekeeper as in my work I focus mainly on the sanitary aspect of beekeeping (I only have one hive in my garden, so I am examining hives belonging to other beekeepers or to our network of sentinel hives more often than mine), but I am eager to get hands on and gain some more practical experience !

New Caledonia has a small and growing beekeeping sector : around 700 beekeepers and 12.000 hives. We do not have varroa but we do have problems with AFB and european foul brood as well...

I would feel favored to practice beekeeping in a different environment as well as learn how you deal with varroa and AFB in NZ...

I have put my email address in my profile, so please feel free to contact me directly !

Cheers, 

Margot

• Like 2

Do you have the correct visa to allow you to work while here?

Hi Grant,

I didn't picture this as working but more as sharing experience. So I haven't applied for a working holiday visa... But I guess I still could if the beekeeper who welcome me wants me to have one.

Cheers !

Margot

I think that would be down to immigration, not the beekeeper, but I'm having difficulties finding information due to you being an FOT. Please check first with immigration to see what the requirements are, as we can be quite strict on entry for anything other than tourism.

9 hours ago, Margot C said:

Hi Grant,

I didn't picture this as working but more as sharing experience. So I haven't applied for a working holiday visa... But I guess I still could if the beekeeper who welcome me wants me to have one.

Cheers !

Margot

Sabbatical might be the way to put it to Immigration 

• Agree 1

More than happy to introduce you to the Dog Team down here who have routed out most of our AFB in the last couple of years.

Patient persistent pressure has paid off.

I always thought that AFB was going to wipe us out. 

I was wrong . 

• Like 2

Hi there,

Thanks for your answers and happy new year !

Grant, 

I have filled out the online form to get a tourist visa which allows me to stay for 3 months ; also I will be sailing and cycling during my trip to New Zealand, so I think it's fine for me to do one month of beekeeping as long as I am not getting any salary. But I can also check the working holiday visa modalities.

James,

thanks for your offer but for now I am planning to stay in the north island ; if I change my mind I will contact you to come to visit your apiary.

Philbee, if I manage to go through the New Zealand immigration ;-), would you welcome a pair of extra hands on your apiary in February or March ?

• Like 1

How big are your muscles? I'll be harvesting honey in Feb but it's only a job for those with a strong back we'll be hefting 40 kg boxes. It is exhausting work and probably long hard days.

I'm just north of Auckland harbour bridge. i ONLY take people out with me if they are prepared to put in a solid days work. It's unpaid, but i can give you a bed and feed you for a few days, long as you don't mind roughing it somewhat in my bachelor pad.

It's been a difficult season for me, some of the hives have health issues so we will be dealing with those at the same time as harvesting so there will be some things of interest.

My email is in my profile, drop me a line but only if you are fit and up to this physically. I can flick you my Facebook page so you can check me out before committing. 

So, when Margot C gets a back injury from lifting 40 Kg boxes, she will receive ACC support but only if she is within NZ.

It may be appropriate to point this out before she is injured, and get her to help with non-lifting activities or up to 20 Kg .

https://www.securo.co.nz/articles/maximum-weight-lift-during-work

What Are The Guidelines On The Maximum Weight You Should Attempt Lift?

The maximum weight you can lift depends on:

• Your gender
  • The distance of the load from your body
  • The height of the load

The following diagram depicts the guidelines:

lifting-recommendations.jpg

Great advice Tudor. 

I don't have any non lifting duties though which is why i have laid it on the line about the need to be fit. Also why it's unpaid so i am not an employer.

If someone wants to work bees in February, the reality is there will be heavy lifting. This is commercial beekeeping, not hobby beekeeping with a couple of hives.

There are though, ladies who do this and i have worked with several, and at least one was tougher than me. I have though worked with a lady who expected me to do all the hard stuff and i found it particularly unpleasant. I'm an equal opportunities guy.

To put it in a nutshell, I can't use someone who can only lift 20 kg's. Not in February anyway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sorry Tudor but those weightlifting suggestions are ludicrous. Even a three-quarter box would be well over.

I am 62, have been beekeeping all my life and can still stack a 40 kg box of honey on the truck well above my head. Lifting hives and boxes of honey without hurting your back is primarily technique and not that much to do with strength.

I sometimes think government regulations are designed to make us all weak, fat, stupid, dependent and lazy and  they seem to be working.

PS. When I was in England a couple of winters ago I took off a few full honey boxes that were one half depth modified Dadants . I hate to think what those little beauties weighed.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Margot C said:

Philbee, if I manage to go through the New Zealand immigration ;-), would you welcome a pair of extra hands on your apiary in February or March ?

Possibly.

I would be treating probably.
Pity you were not her next week to help finish off some research trials.

11 hours ago, john berry said:

Sorry Tudor but those weightlifting suggestions are ludicrous. Even a three-quarter box would be well over.

I am 62, have been beekeeping all my life and can still stack a 40 kg box of honey on the truck well above my head. Lifting hives and boxes of honey without hurting your back is primarily technique and not that much to do with strength.

I sometimes think government regulations are designed to make us all weak, fat, stupid, dependent and lazy and  they seem to be working.

PS. When I was in England a couple of winters ago I took off a few full honey boxes that were one half depth modified Dadants . I hate to think what those little beauties weighed.

You are a survivor, long may it continue.

Hi again,

Thanks for the answers.

I can lift up 40kg boxes for one day but I am not sure my back want to commit to do it for a month... So thanks for the offer Alastair, but I will decline it. 

Philbee, if you have less heavy work to do in February or March or heavy work that can be shared, I would be happy come to help and to hear more details about your research trials !

How can I join you outside of this forum ?

Cheers,

Margot

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Margot C said:

Hi again,

Thanks for the answers.

I can lift up 40kg boxes for one day but I am not sure my back want to commit to do it for a month... So thanks for the offer Alastair, but I will decline it. 

Philbee, if you have less heavy work to do in February or March or heavy work that can be shared, I would be happy come to help and to hear more details about your research trials !

How can I join you outside of this forum ?

Cheers,

Margot

Im not into Honey so dont lift boxes onto trucks etc

Today was the largely the last day of a Autumn, Winter, Spring efficacy trial for an Oxalic slow release Varroa treatment trial.

You would have enjoyed it

Ill post a pic of one of the last Hives done today which was a relief.
By the Time you get here Ill be doing my late summer Varroa treating which may be of interest since we will be Mite counting as well.
I wouldn't expect you to lift anything heavier than a smoker.

Facebook. Lake bush honey phil

IMG_3554.JPG

Nice picture !

Thanks for the offer and contact Phil. I have sent you a message on Facebook.