aussie fire and bee keeping

Chairman Mao Zedong was the Chairman of the Chinese Communist Party from 1949 to 1976

In 1958 he instigated  the four pests campaign which all but eradicated the common sparrow.
Once the sparrow was gone the locus population exploded and led to the destruction of many crops which in turn contributed substantially to the great Chinese famine of that period.
Between 15 and 45 million people starved.
The point here is that something can and always will be done in dire situations, so when people say that nothing we can do will make the slightest difference, it pays to consider that while on the face of it this may be correct, the bigger picture is that something will be done about it, probably not by us and almost certainly not for us.
Do you get my drift? 

• Agree 1
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trevor is not correct.  It has not set 'records' for growth over the last 5 years, and the ice cap is not expanding.  It is shrinking around the edges, but its' mass is increasing because of increased

This was a month ago It would have got worse So terrible for them all https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/beekeepers-traumatised-by-screaming-animals-after-bushfires/11721756

We are distilling alcohol from fruits ( plums), no methanol, no headache if drink too much.. In fact I inherited distilling equipment from my late grandfather - for our personal use, not selling. Even

Posted Images

Uh huh.

In tricky situations I like to use the expression...’ well , lets just see what hsppens.’

Most always somthing happens. It maube not what we expected or wsnted... but we move on.

apolgies for the spelling. The laptop packed a saddy and i fogured i did’nt need a new one. Appartantly the cell phone has more grunt, albeit a smaller key pad.

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

Chairman Mao Zedong was the Chairman of the Chinese Communist Party from 1949 to 1976

In 1958 he instigated  the four pests campaign which all but eradicated the common sparrow.
Once the sparrow was gone the locus population exploded and led to the destruction of many crops which in turn contributed substantially to the great Chinese famine of that period.
Between 15 and 45 million people starved.
The point here is that something can and always will be done in dire situations, so when people say that nothing we can do will make the slightest difference, it pays to consider that while on the face of it this may be correct, the bigger picture is that something will be done about it, probably not by us and almost certainly not for us.
Do you get my drift? 

Hard to see that sort of organisation in a multiparty democracy .

Be a shame if humans had made such a mess of things that authoritarian regimes were the only way forward .

20 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Be a shame if humans had made such a mess of things that authoritarian regimes were the only way forward .

In democracy its called regulation and bureaucracy.  The average person is expected to accept all the costs

• Like 2
22 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

totally agree but nothing we do in our corner of the world will make one jot of difference in the scheme of things.

It will cost us all heaps of money and make some of us feel good about ourselves but that’s all.

With a comment like that I,d be guessing your a baby boomer. Could be wrong though.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

With a comment like that I,d be guessing your a baby boomer. Could be wrong though.

What has that got to do with anything.  I presume  you are a millenial with that comment of yours.

Pots calling each other black and all that.  And yes I am a baby boomer who like all our generation was taught to question everything and not just be lemmings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
51 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

And yes I am a baby boomer who like all our generation was taught to question everything and not just be lemmings

Also taught that we had to be productive and pay our way in life 

i.e. contribute to GDP and be self sufficient.  We were brung up by children of the Great Depression

And it is predicted that our generation, because of our life style, will outlive the next

• Agree 3
21 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Currently 7.5 billion. 

Predictions, won't exceed 11b this century. Most growth in developing nation's. 

A good video, Gino. He explains it very simply.

I have 13 brothers and sisters so we be adding to the African side of the blocks.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

What has that got to do with anything.  I presume  you are a millenial with that comment of yours.

Pots calling each other black and all that.  And yes I am a baby boomer who like all our generation was taught to question everything and not just be lemmings.

I think there will never be a universal agreement on climate change .

But this issue is one that even you and I will agree is a real crisis and appalling threat to the world

The plastic polluters won 2019 – and we're running out of time to stop them

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/02/year-plastic-pollution-clean-beaches-seas?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

But this issue is one that even you and I will agree is a real crisis and appalling threat to the world

Sorry, but no, I don't believe we have a crisis.

Sure it would be nice if we cleaned up all the pollution in the world.  And that will happen.  But I don't believe that Global warming is a problem.  Getting cold will be a problem.

The reason they changed the rhetoric from Global Warming to Climate Change was because the world is not getting warmer.

The antarctic Ice cap has set records for growth in the last 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Sure it would be nice if we cleaned up all the pollution in the world.  And that will happen.  But I don't believe that Global warming is a problem.  Getting cold will be a problem.

The reason they changed the rhetoric from Global Warming to Climate Change was because the world is not getting warmer.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2019/02/antarctic-greenland-ice-melt-less-bad/

emphasis on less bad 

The Antarctic sea ice is melting at an unprecedented rate, but if you read the 'research' articles published at the behest of the American oil magnates, you will read the opposite - it is much like their gun lobby, money spent between lobbying and producing fake research by the two groups would provide free healthcare for the whole USA, but that would apparently tip the country irretrievably into total communism. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

That is absolute crap. 

There were 4 lines in your response, each one stated the exact opposite of the truth.  I won't call them lies, because sadly, you believe them to be true.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Chill Out 1
5 hours ago, Bee Good said:

I would be very interested to know what you are doing on a personal level that will help combat global “ climate change “ ?

or will your efforts not make one jot of difference ?

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

You misunderstood me .

I think plastic pollution is a far greater threat than global warming.

The ecosystem of the world can adapt to global warming , real or not .

But a world full of plastic is deadly to most life

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

These are the commercial aeroplanes in flight about 3 minutes before I posted this..

Flights.jpg

Imagine if they all had to land .

Where would they go.

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

You misunderstood me .

I think plastic pollution is a far greater threat than global warming.

The ecosystem of the world can adapt to global warming , real or not .

But a world full of plastic is deadly to most life

I think the deadliest threat to most life is some crazy despot who gets their hands on nuclear or biological weapons and has no compunction about using it.

You only have to look around and see some of the people who are leaders of their countries to realise that any of them would be capable of doing it if the opportunity arose.

Alternately a volcanic eruption big enough to turn day into night for years.

Theres plenty wrong with our stuffed up world but I don’t believe limiting plastic bags or composting my leftovers will help any time soon.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Imagine if they all had to land .

Where would they go.

That's a fun scenario. They can't all land at once because there isn't room on the ground for them all.  Fact.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
27 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

So I just googled Antarctic ice cap and @Trevor Gillbanks is correct it is actually expanding. 

Only on websites controlled in USA, there are plenty of British, European and others saying the exact opposite, but they are well down the list that comes up on the American owned and controlled Google.

• Agree 3
42 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I think the deadliest threat to most life is some crazy despot who gets their hands on nuclear or biological weapons and has no compunction about using it.

You only have to look around and see some of the people who are leaders of their countries to realise that any of them would be capable of doing it if the opportunity arose.

Alternately a volcanic eruption big enough to turn day into night for years.

Theres plenty wrong with our stuffed up world but I don’t believe limiting plastic bags or composting my leftovers will help any time soon.

Ah, as you say, nuty leaders with deadly aresnal have not yet done it. Plenty of opportunities.

We forget our little bacteria/virus. 

So off topic