aussie fire and bee keeping

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trevor is not correct.  It has not set 'records' for growth over the last 5 years, and the ice cap is not expanding.  It is shrinking around the edges, but its' mass is increasing because of increased

This was a month ago It would have got worse So terrible for them all https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/beekeepers-traumatised-by-screaming-animals-after-bushfires/11721756

We are distilling alcohol from fruits ( plums), no methanol, no headache if drink too much.. In fact I inherited distilling equipment from my late grandfather - for our personal use, not selling. Even

Posted Images

Slightly off topic -  Woke up this morning 01/01/20 and the clouds had an orange hue to them, a slightly eerie feeling. I guessed it was the smoke from Australia's fires, but yet the 'feel' outside didn't seem right. I looked out the window at the bees toing and froing from one of my home hives and something didn't look right. In our back yard we have a Southern Rata standing 12 metres tall and in full bloom, a spectacular sight usually covered in bees, bumble bees and native bees, and of course bellbirds and waxeyes. But today was different, hardly more than 300 insects on it. I went outside and studied the bees flight path, they were behaving very strange. I've been beekeeping for close to 40 years and have never witnessed this behavior, not every bee but one in ten would fly out then fly straight up. I followed them till about 30 metres height and then they disappeared from my vision. Their flight was not in a circle gaining altitude but a straight line up, not wavering left or right, till I lost track of the bee. The remaindering bees were not flying their usual flight path to the tree, they were all flying up to about 3 metres before heading to the tree which was only 10 metres away. I checked all the hives and they were all behaving in the same manner, some going straight up and the rest flying up then to the tree.

I'm asking other geriatric beekeepers if they have ever encountered this unusual behavior, and whether it could / is related to the atmospheric conditions we are experiencing at the moment. Also, the bees that are flying straight up, where tf are they going? Are they coming home? I have no idea! 

Even though it is warm outside, heavily overcast more-so with the smoke, the bees aren't working to the potential that they should be given that there is a fantastic nectar source only metres away.

I look forward to your thoughts on this matter.

P.S. After reading through some up-to-date news reports from Australia, some beekeepers have been hit very hard with up to 70% losses. I feel for them, I know from personal experience how that feels. But on the other hand, their losses of Australian Manuka bush (Tea Tree) is a personal gain to the Manuka Producers Association of NZ. The MPA better utilise this period of non-production from Australian beekeepers over the coming 3 - 5 years to their utmost potential.

6 minutes ago, Old Timer said:

checked all the hives and they were all behaving in the same manner, some going straight up and the rest flying up then to the tree.

I have seen it here with a group of hives at the bottom of a hill covered in rata trees .

The commercial beek whos hives they were commmented on it

Well Old Timer - The skies on the Canterbury Plains are very grey today, and the foothills surrounding the main divide along with the Alps are not visible.  It is 35 degrees here today, and generally for us it is a very dry heat, but today the sun is very obscured and when I went to the grafting yard today, I wondered myself how were the bees navigating and was this affecting foraging.  The clover is starting to die back, and this is earlier than normal.  The flow is intermittent i.e. drawn out combs are being filled, but not much foundation being drawn.  Oddly enough for us, we haven't had much wind today, and the whole situation is very eerie.  I notice outside the town boundaries many are driving with lights full on.  Inside some rooms are quite dark.  We haven't seen the spectacular sunsets you talk about, but I certainly remember this happening with extreme bushfires as a child, and I also remember from the beaches of the West Coast being able to seen the outline of Australia!  I wonder if Australia is visible this time. 

• Like 1

We have the glowing orange ball here this morning , looking up through the fog and smoke .

There is quite a bit of talk in Australia that the change in climate there is man made from greatly disrupting the natural water course from   North to South by catching it in giant dams , and sending it where it wouldn’t go by itself , fracking for example, amongst others .I tend to agree. If that is an example of how humans can alter the climate , we’d want to be damn careful because it will likely collapse their economy , whatever that means, and alter world dynamics . 

If all that is true, it’s not difficult to imagine that if their rivers were flowing freely , things might be easier to deal with . It’s a massive dry country and everyone has an opinion on what they should do with the water . Big big problem 

• Agree 1

Indigenous people who lived in australia  for 40,000 yrs decided at some point that permanent settlements of large populations was just too dam difficult and developed a nomadic culture.

They used fire stick farming , mosaic burning , this created new soft grass for animals to eat and people could easily hunt them .

When I was in the NT 20 yrs ago a conservation ranger said they were trying to recreate mosaic burning techniques .

They had noticed that some animals were dying out without this practice because they had evolved with it .

It was very sucessful where it was tried but impractical to create on a large scale without nomadic people to walk the land constantly burning small fires.

Europeans arrived 300yrs ago and tried to replicate the world they came from .

Even without climate change it maybe that the carrying capacity of the land of OZ is limited and not suitable for a european style of human organisation .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
35 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Even without climate change it maybe that the carrying capacity of the land of OZ is limited and not suitable for a european style of human organisation .

The human desire for infinite growth on a planet with finite resources is going to bite us. As much as those who deny/downplay human impacts on the environment and climate, we are not doing a good job of looking after the place.

• Agree 3
13 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

The human desire for infinite growth on a planet with finite resources is going to bite us. As much as those who deny/downplay human impacts on the environment and climate, we are not doing a good job of looking after the place.

totally agree but nothing we do in our corner of the world will make one jot of difference in the scheme of things.

It will cost us all heaps of money and make some of us feel good about ourselves but that’s all.

• Agree 4
1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

totally agree but nothing we do in our corner of the world will make one jot of difference in the scheme of things.

It will cost us all heaps of money and make some of us feel good about ourselves but that’s all.

Correct . That’s where political interference and taxing everything that moves becomes an absolute nonsense in solving anything environmental. One way or another we are going to need to address our stocking rates 

• Agree 2
52 minutes ago, M4tt said:

One way or another we are going to need to address our stocking rates 

Human and animal .

59 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I think we all should do something.

I think the biggest impediment is that a section of humanity always  wants to clip the ticket on any social endevour which leads to lots of cynicism.

35 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Human and animal .

I think we all should do something.

to what end ?

what can you as an individual do that will make any difference at all on any level ?

slightly off topic I have a huge problem with tax payer money going into buying up productive farms and planting them in pines all in the name of climate change reduction.

Pine trees for goodness sake :( 

• Agree 4

Human stocking rates .

The bee stocking rate is getting sorted out the hard way . 

We can do something here . Probably not go down the same track as Oz with water management . We’d want to watch how much we suck out of bores.

Ive just found  out this morning from my Blueberry neighbour next to a block 3 km away has totalled 770 mm for the year . At home here we are just on 1000mm . Consequently, he is flat out sucking up water from below to keep his berries alive . I’ve never heard of rainfall so low around here . Average used to be 1200mm

And where I live in Katikati:

Horizontal the months and vertical mm

Rain14.pdf

Well that's not working, I have the monthly rainfall in a graph yearly over the last 6 years, but the file doesn't seem to upload properly. I will try to work it out.

Edited by Gerrit
doesn't display file properly
8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The fsct thsy we are blanketed in Aussie ash is testiment to the fact that we are all interconnected, whether we like it or not.

Imagine if the ssh cloud was radioactive.

on second thoughts, kill thst thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

The fsct thsy we are blanketed in Aussie ash is testiment to the fact that we are all interconnected, whether we like it or not.

Imagine if the ssh cloud was radioactive.

on second thoughts, kill thst thought.

yes but I’m sure banning plastic stickers on fruit will go a long way towards turning that smoke into clean air radioactive or not. :) 

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Any number of issues can skewer predictions. This is a prediction, based on current population dynamics. 

You can not really argue with demographic statistics.

Apparently peak baby was 1971.

If the world has an aging population when the the old people die there will be not enough people  to replace them .

But this will not be for another 30yrs.

Plenty of time for humans to make plenty more mess .

• Like 1

That you tube is rather simplistic . It assumes that the world is just a few paddocks and races of people  stay where they are put . It also assumes that all couples have two children , period . 

In reality , where the world is grossly overstocked and ruined , populations are moving away to other areas to repeat the process . 

His concept is interesting but I wouldn’t bet on it 

• Agree 1