Fiona S

Reversing crystallization

Hi all, happy 'nearly the holidays' to you. 🥂

A quick question - does anyone have experience reversing crystallization of Manuka honey? I got a small but strong harvest last year, and want to give the last few jars away. Problem is - they have crystallized into the characteristic massive crunch surrounded in gel. 

I have tried melting them in the glass jars via water bath - didn't work

I have tried melting them in the microwave - but only about 75% of the crystals melted. I wonder if this method isn't advised in case it destroys some of those good properties in the honey? 

Any other methods people have used that works to 100%? If so - how long does honey typically last once again liquefied? 

Any experience or ideas most appreciated. Thanks :)

Fi

Honey Manuka crystal.jpg

13 minutes ago, Fiona S said:

Hi all, happy 'nearly the holidays' to you. 🥂

A quick question - does anyone have experience reversing crystallization of Manuka honey? I got a small but strong harvest last year, and want to give the last few jars away. Problem is - they have crystallized into the characteristic massive crunch surrounded in gel. 

I have tried melting them in the glass jars via water bath - didn't work

I have tried melting them in the microwave - but only about 75% of the crystals melted. I wonder if this method isn't advised in case it destroys some of those good properties in the honey? 

Any other methods people have used that works to 100%? If so - how long does honey typically last once again liquefied? 

Any experience or ideas most appreciated. Thanks :)

Fi

Honey Manuka crystal.jpg

I had a carton of beautifully creamed Rewarewa in the back of the ute the other day to give to landowners.  A few jars spent all day in there in the sun and were completely melted out by the time I retrieved them.  It was a very hot day - 27 degrees I think.

• Good Info 1

I'd suggest the water bath wasn't  hot enough or long enough. Dunno about Manuka, but my Kanuka once melted stays liquid about a fortnight.

• Good Info 1

I have had a jar of crystallized manuka sitting on the window sill of a warm sunny room for over two weeks .

It was thick with crystals,  it is now runny with crystals .

Good luck , tell me how you did when you suceed.

I used some 'crunchy' honey to play with a creaming method. I exposed it to heat and got it semi liquid via sun/solar oven. Strained the crystals from the runny honey.

Crystals into a mortar and pestle and got a very sore arm pulverising them (20+minutes) As fine as you possibly can.

Added back to the liquid honey and placed in the fridge. The resulting creamed honey is smoother than I expected.

Only problem is no-one who gets my honey wants it creamed!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mummzie said:

I used some 'crunchy' honey to play with a creaming method. I exposed it to heat and got it semi liquid via sun/solar oven. Strained the crystals from the runny honey.

Crystals into a mortar and pestle and got a very sore arm pulverising them (20+minutes) As fine as you possibly can.

Added back to the liquid honey and placed in the fridge. The resulting creamed honey is smoother than I expected.

Only problem is no-one who gets my honey wants it creamed!!!

I creamed some honey when it was completely liquid and it was a very smooth sucess.

Other honey I attempted to cream I did not get it so completely liquid and it is not as smooth .

Thanks to you for your ideas. With more time over the holidays I might try your creaming method Mummzie - but on a small scale! 

Yesbut - perhaps the bottles could be boiled similar to a canning method to get that extra temperature and length... might try with a jar and see.

Probably going to go with Ted's idea of the hot car first ... I will report back with results :)

Ciao

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fiona S said:

Yesbut - perhaps the bottles could be boiled similar to a canning method to get that extra temperature and length... might try with a jar and see.

I generally perch them on a trivet on the back of the wood burner at bed time. ...in the morning....yum. I haven't had to do it this year, for whatever reason my last harvest never showed the slightest sign of crystallizing.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I generally perch them on a trivet on the back of the wood burner at bed time. ...in the morning....yum. I haven't had to do it this year, for whatever reason my last harvest never showed the slightest sign of crystallizing.

i wonder why that is .

some of my honey from 2 seasons ago has not crystalised .

do you think its mahoe ?

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

i wonder why that is .

some of my honey from 2 seasons ago has not crystalised .

do you think its mahoe ?

Could be some sort of dew.Have you had it pollen analysed.

yes

rata , mahoe, brassica and about 15% unknown

Hi all, thought I had better report back. Put the jars in the car and within a day the honey was nice and liquid. Its been 11 days so far and it has gone back to its nice thick consistency without crystals. Cheers :)

• Like 5