Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

New Zealand Bee Biosecurity Visual ID Guide

Recommended Posts

awesome, thanks to all involved.

surely there must be a way, at the very least, that MPI can get the AFB PMP to email this to every registered beekeeper?

Similar with that recent guidance about treating varroa with non-registered stuff like OA-Glycerine strips - i struggle to even find it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

i struggle to even find it...

It's not worth much of an effort let alone a struggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tommy dave said:

awesome, thanks to all involved.

surely there must be a way, at the very least, that MPI can get the AFB PMP to email this to every registered beekeeper?

Similar with that recent guidance about treating varroa with non-registered stuff like OA-Glycerine strips - i struggle to even find it...

Yes.  They can do that.  No problem.

However, the cost is in the production of the booket.  (I also got a real copy as part of the trial)

It is a water proof, plastic coated paper with a clip ring in the top corner.

The pages are virtually indestructible as they need to be able to be thrown about abit with travel in vehicle and could get covered in honey etc and then need cleaning.

It would appear to be very expensive to produce for every beekeeper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  They can do that.  No problem.

However, the cost is in the production of the booket.  (I also got a real copy as part of the trial)

It is a water proof, plastic coated paper with a clip ring in the top corner.

The pages are virtually indestructible as they need to be able to be thrown about abit with travel in vehicle and could get covered in honey etc and then need cleaning.

It would appear to be very expensive to produce for every beekeeper.

 

would be nice to know the cost. Say it's $10, i'd buy one. And reckon plenty of clubs would subsidise that to some extent for their members. Although, in some senses, it might be of most value to be able to get this to those specifically not engaged with clubs, nor fora, nor beekeeping groups, nor experienced beekeepers - and sending it to everyone would access that. Perhaps an option for some sort of supplier rebate so that a copy was available free with any order (opt out available) of over say $200 from any of the major, or wannabe major, equipment suppliers? Hopefully the right people are thinking about options.

 

Wonder if there's some sort of leverage available off the model used for the plastic paua tools and combo paua/cray/scallop tools that mpi provide free of charge? they're everywhere = great way of spreading the rules for fish size limits.

 

Hell, after the mid-winter "flow" my bees found in one apiary (guaranteed robbing something) i'd pay for one for every registered beekeeper with apiaries within 500m of mine (excluding one particular apiary which i'd imagine might get pricy so i'd want to check that cost in advance).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is why they are asking for funding so that this can get sent to every registered beekeeper.  Getting commercial sponsorship would be difficult in this current environment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy stuff from overseas these days and you get a GST invoice from NZpost, you also cop a "Biosecurity Levy". So there's more money coming in than there was...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MPI are asking for funding ???

 

That sounds weird 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

That is why they are asking for funding so that this can get sent to every registered beekeeper.  Getting commercial sponsorship would be difficult in this current environment.

 

i'm trying to think of ways to get it out there. Agree re commercial sponsorship.

 

about 9,000 registered beekeepers from memory.

no idea on cost, assuming $10 per unit which is likely an over-estimate, that's just shy of $100k

 

there are plenty of organisations and sites/similar (e.g. this forum, various facebook groups) with reasonably decent reach.

If it was made available at cost - noting at the time that the longer term goal is to make it available for free to those who haven't already received it so nobody gets bitter paying for something later available for free, but that later distribution bit pending funding - to beekeepers prepared to pay, and a decent information push through various channels.... I wonder whether we'd end up with 50% of registered beekeepers covering the cost, and happy for the others to freeload due to everyone gaining a benefit - plus a reduced taxpayer/mpi cost? Many hobbyists likely spend that on coffee in a week and would love to virtue signal, most commercials would stomach a one-off $10 cost.

 

Can't see a real downside to my idea other than freeloading/prisoner's dilemma risk, which doesn't really matter if open up-front

 

there must be something we can do for something that so clearly sounds of value to all of us.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

there must be something we can do for something that so clearly sounds of value to all of us.

Well I'll play the Grinch and claim that this publication merely complicates the simple message that if you see something you don't recognise, report it. 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Well I'll play the Grinch and claim that this publication merely complicates the simple message that if you see something you don't recognise, report it. 

 

yup, and the more that simple message is communicated, the better :)

beyond that though, there are afb pics in there, and there are yet further benefits in those pics circulating ever more widely

 

edit, and fundamental and terrifying regarding competence at mpi: calling afb and nosema "endemic" means a level of absolute ignorance and incompetence in those supposed to be expert... some useless bureaucrats need to go back to school...

Edited by tommy dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Well I'll play the Grinch and claim that this publication merely complicates the simple message that if you see something you don't recognise, report it. 

 

 

However, Not everyone is as experienced as you and I and having a visual aid would be very helpful.

 

34 minutes ago, M4tt said:

MPI are asking for funding ???

 

That sounds weird 

 

 

Not really.  They only have a certain amount of money in the bucket, and each department can only do projects that are approved.

I am not sure of the exact figure, by the Pathogen project cost about $1.5 M over 3 years.  All that money got spent.

MBovis is costing a big bucket of money.

This labour government is not overly keen on farmers and are not overly prepared to just throw more money into the pot. (My own thoughts and feelings on this line)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Well I'll play the Grinch and claim that this publication merely complicates the simple message that if you see something you don't recognise, report it. 

 

Some of us whose memories go back a bit remember what happened to one poor beekeeper who thought he had discovered EFB . I personally once made the mistake of ticking the box on my harvest declaration that the honey might have been collected from near a crop that had been sprayed. MPIs response in both cases was slow unwieldy and Draconian and certainly in the case of my harvest declaration they were completely unprepared with how to deal with somebody actually telling the truth.

It's a long story but suffice it to say I would report a potential incursion but I would want to be pretty certain about it first. The penalties in New Zealand for being honest are pretty severe.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have downloaded it as a PDF it will be on your phone if you want to look at the pictures .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kaihoka said:

If you have downloaded it as a PDF it will be on your phone if you want to look at the pictures .

Yes.  That is what I said in the OP.

Well done if you have downloaded it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  That is what I said in the OP.

Well done if you have downloaded it.

 

yes if an oldie like me can do it there is hope for the rest them .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

yes if an oldie like me can do it there is hope for the rest them .

I am a bit north of you age wise.  So I understand.  What was the question again

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess if Apinz can use the AFB data base to locate all the beekeepers with more than 25 hives for the commodity levy proposal, and then email them all relentlessly, regardless of the fact it was using the data for a non-AFB purpose, then it should be a no-brainer to use it to email out this thing.

Not only is it useful but it actually contains AFB info in it, not mention a bunch of other bad pests and diseases that dovetails with the principle goal of the Agency.

If some of these nasties get established here, they'll end up adding to the Agency's worklist.

If I had a paper one it would never be to hand exactly when I wanted to see it, but I would most likely have my phone with me.

To be fair they don't move that fast and so that email is probably coming and it is the cheapest way to distribute the document. 

It could also be a useful addition to the AFB app on bk's phones.

Meanwhile I have downloaded the pdf and I quite like it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ChrisM APINZ cannot access the data base, any use of the database was used within the rules allowed and given the tick by the minister, lawyers and AFB management agency. 

And APINZ dose not get to see any info in the database, any material sent is passed onto the AFB management and they post it.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

ChrisM APINZ cannot access the data base, any use of the database was used within the rules allowed and given the tick by the minister, lawyers and AFB management agency. 

And APINZ dose not get to see any info in the database, any material sent is passed onto the AFB management and they post it.

Well, if that is the case, please can you explain to us all what was the commodity levy consultation process and exactly how did ApiNZ know to contact me about the commodity levy? That is to say if I did/didn't have 25 hives, how did you know?. Maybe you could start by telling us what database was used actually? Are you saying the Agency database was not used or that it was used but it was given the tick by the minister? Are you saying that emails I got from ApiNZ were actually sent from within the Agency? Can you remind me of the rules of use of the agency database?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their is only one database, the AFB data base. It is jointly owned by beekeeping industry and Govt, the beekeeping industry under APINZ, it has certain rules around its use and cannot be used outside of those set of rules. APINZ does not run/ hold or have access to the data base. if their is a reason that fits within the scope of the rules around the use of the database, which would have to be signed of by the minister/mpi and checked with legal team then APINZ can only pass on the info to Asurequality who have the job of running the database which they or their team then process and send out. If anything is sent out APINZ dosn't know who gets it as we don't have access to that info. If you got a something from the database then everyone who is registered would/should have also got that info.

But there are also many databases that beeks have given their email details to, conference and or field days create a database of beeks, so depends on where your email footprint has gone as to where your email info comes from, I get emails from groups such as the stupid APITAX group I don't even belong to, but i must of signed my email to something once or they just copyed it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, ChrisM said:

I guess if Apinz can use the AFB data base to locate all the beekeepers with more than 25 hives for the commodity levy proposal, and then email them all relentlessly, regardless of the fact it was using the data for a non-AFB purpose, then it should be a no-brainer to use it to email out this thing.

Not only is it useful but it actually contains AFB info in it, not mention a bunch of other bad pests and diseases that dovetails with the principle goal of the Agency.

If some of these nasties get established here, they'll end up adding to the Agency's worklist.

If I had a paper one it would never be to hand exactly when I wanted to see it, but I would most likely have my phone with me.

To be fair they don't move that fast and so that email is probably coming and it is the cheapest way to distribute the document. 

It could also be a useful addition to the AFB app on bk's phones.

Meanwhile I have downloaded the pdf and I quite like it.

 

 

@ChrisM I am not sure what your grip is but the OP had nothing to do with ApiNZ or the Api Levy.

If you want to have a gripe at ApiNZ, then start another thread and do so there.  

There is no need to open old wounds in this thread.

I started this thread to raise awareness of a great asset that is online and hopefully soon to  do be issued to all beekeepers.

In this case I also support @Dennis Crowley in his replies.  Thanks Dennis.

 

  • Chill Out 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 9:40 PM, tommy dave said:

edit, and fundamental and terrifying regarding competence at mpi: calling afb and nosema "endemic" means a level of absolute ignorance and incompetence in those supposed to be expert... some useless bureaucrats need to go back to school...

Or it could indicate that someone made a mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Or it could indicate that someone made a mistake

true, it probably got edited by a comms team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just print your own copy/ies and laminate the pages. Bind it or hole punch the corner and spin on a key ring loop. Simple..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...