Alastair

International Honey Prices

8 hours ago, Alastair said:

This is the monthly honey report issued to USA commercial beekeepers. It is the average price paid to beekeepers, bear in mind the prices are US dollars, per pound.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

if a typical price is US $1.70 per pound that is .65 for NZD and x 2.205 for kg. = NZ $5.77/kg plus gst $6.63

just for sake of approximate comparison.

• Good Info 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

if a typical price is US $1.70 per pound that is .65 for NZD and x 2.205 for kg. = NZ $5.77/kg plus gst $6.63

yes, I got between $5.10 and $6.30 ish plus GST / kg on a range of prices.     As it has been said plenty, depends if you are carrying debt.   It would be nice to see prices "lift" to this in NZ and have sales going ahead.     So, who is pulling the chain?

Plus those guys make more honey per hive than us, put most of their hives in almonds for US$200+ a hive annually, have cheaper vehicle running costs, don't pay site rents, are less regulated, and for the most part don't have to work hill country like us.

• Good Info 1

Wow  , people actually pay money for buckwheat honey .

I wonder what they do with it .

• Haha 1

B18689A5-25D0-4186-AE99-ADB1A9A2B44E.jpeg

All fascinating stuff. This arrived on the email this morning.

These are honeys being offered to the world market ex NZ.

The interesting one is the Kanuka price ..... we have been offered around $5/kg for everything we can produce .... so who is pulling whose plonker here?

• Good Info 1

Not enough info, is this a sale catalogue ? 

Oh sorry .....  It's a regular thing that comes through from Albert Sapiano ..... I 'aint tech savvy enough to sort the email into a  pdf .... if indeed that is what you call it. ....

My techy is still overseas somewhere....

But you get the gist right ..... I don't see much being offered from NZ at  bargain basement prices ..... which is probably why it is'nt moving.

Edited by jamesc

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Albert Sapiano

You mean the professional poker player ?

3 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I think that it is $6.60/ kilo inc GST, more kiwi dollars to one American I think. One yankee $ = $1.52 NZ

• Good Info 1

Wow James i got a lot less than that for some better grade honey. All in the marketing i guess.

12 hours ago, Alastair said:

This is the monthly honey report issued to USA commercial beekeepers. It is the average price paid to beekeepers, bear in mind the prices are US dollars, per pound.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf

@Alastair I'm not sure if i'm reading the table describing imports by country of origin at the end of the document correctly, but if I am then the numbers, particularly imported from NZ, make interesting reading too - and described in that section in kilograms and $US

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

But you get the gist right ..... 

Well no, I've no idea if this is a price list or what...

29 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Its a recipe for pancakes. 

3 hours ago, Sailabee said:

I think that it is $6.60/ kilo inc GST, more kiwi dollars to one American I think. One yankee $ = $1.52 NZ

eh? if you want to argue about $6.60 or $6.63 then I'm confused.  Do you object to the last 3cents?

for the record 1/.6695 = 1.49 but that's just the BNZ, and that is just the retail rate. I think using 0.65 was reasonable.

image.thumb.png.fee898bc8db1c255fcdc48ee0c9469c3.png

7 hours ago, ChrisM said:

eh? if you want to argue about $6.60 or $6.63 then I'm confused.  Do you object to the last 3cents?

for the record 1/.6695 = 1.49 but that's just the BNZ, and that is just the retail rate. I think using 0.65 was reasonable.

image.thumb.png.fee898bc8db1c255fcdc48ee0c9469c3.png

Not at all, just that I thought one American dollar was worth more than one NZ - so the kiwi dollars would be the other way around. - $1.50ish, but I am well have got it the wrong way round.

Edited by Sailabee

11 hours ago, yesbut said:

No ..... It's not a pancake recipe or a price list .....it's a wish list from producers listing with Mr Sapiano as to what they want for their honey. 

• Thanks 1

Is there any info James about what if anything, they got?

11 hours ago, Alastair said:

Is there any info James about what if anything, they got?

Welll ..... we need those guys to front up and say if they sold what was on offer. But nobody really talks about that , eh !

We have dropped the price of our bulk honey in the Shop for Christmas  ..... down to $10/kg bulk .

Happy Christmas.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 3:39 PM, Chrisdub said:

yes, I got between $5.10 and $6.30 ish plus GST / kg on a range of prices.     As it has been said plenty, depends if you are carrying debt.   It would be nice to see prices "lift" to this in NZ and have sales going ahead.     So, who is pulling the chain?

The US produces around 75,000 tonnes and imports nearly  200,000 tonnes annually.  The Dakotas will often produce over half of the US honey crop, largely from "clover" (usually sweet clover) .  So selecting an average of the Dakotas for domestic production would be a better figure to start with, but the US market is driven by the import price , and the numbers for total imports to YE September calculate to US$2.17/Kg or NZ$3.30/kg.  Major supplying countries such as India, Ukraine and China are supplying at under US$2.00 per kilo (NZ$3.00)

• Good Info 2

Aaah but Chis you forgot to take into account, if i use my beekeeping bushmans math, -

That empty paddock with no hives + manuka honey is a goldmine x mtrs away from the other hundred hives in plain view - hours to move hives / kms away from the bush = manuka is a goldmine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

If NZ honey consumption was around .83kg per person the same as the USA, there would be 1.37kg 'missing' or 'surplus' regarding the 2.2kg going into the local market. This 1.37kg per person could be in a grey area such as dried honey powder for cooking which is exported, exported as part of other foods (honey glazed ham, manuka and pear chocolate) or fraudulently in some kind of way, but since this has been going on since before 2013 it looks completely legit. 1.37kg x 5 Million people is nearly 7000 tonnes of honey. Is there any research to show that NZ people eat 2.64 times more honey than yanks? Maybe Americans don't trust their honey? Is this a consequence of anyone in America being allowed to sell honey (as opposed to our self imposed NP1 / RMP regimes). Does anyone know what is the typical honey consumption per capita of our other trading partners such as UK, Australia, Europe? Not that it matters, just I was interested to notice these differences. Maybe the NZ market is already saturated? It would be a big deal if demand in USA for real honey at Trader Joe's could be increased by up to 2.64 times.

Living in San Fran I was always pleased to buy Oyster Bay Sauv Blanc from supermarket, it was in constant supply but since returning to NZ I never buy it, it is much more expensive here and there are better options that are much cheaper. What a strange world it is that I can buy it cheaper overseas than here and everyone still makes a profit.

No argument about the Manuka bubble, I was assuming those 7000 tonnes of honey probably wasn't Manuka.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, ChrisM said:

mostly due to over stocking.

Its critical that NZ works out how overstocking affects production.
It's either due to competition for forage, ill health as an effect of overstocking or a combination of both.
In my view it probably isnt due solely to competition for forage.

The facts of the matter are really important because one day we may need to really push the production envelope and if the limiting factor is forage then that is an absolute, whereas if the limiting factor is Bee health then Science may be able to intervene.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1