Nedeljko

New neighbour complaining about my apiary

I need an advice on what to do with a complaint of a new neighbour who recently moved into a brand new house about 50m away from my apiary. I have 12 busy hives on a lifestyle block near the newly developed section in Schnapper Rock, Auckland area. The section next door was built around 3-4 months ago and I had my beehives next door for about 4 years now. I need time to find a new apiary location and my hives are super heavy now with 2-3 supers full of honey. I am a hobby beekeeper and don't have a crane or a lift to move that easily. 
The neighbour seems to be very upset and sends me messages like this: "So please move your beehives asap please...my house got damaged from your bees ..and getting serious now..", "Not only the house ..Cars. all windows and door paint etc., and even I can't hang to dry my washed clothes at out side of my home...', "Sp please tell me when can you move your beehives. Thank you" 
From another phone number: "Hi there, it's Jenny and Andre here, we live next door to the property where you keep your beehives. We and our neighbors  have major issues with your bees pooing over our houses, windows, cars. Our brand new house is covered in sticky, yellow bee poop, we are unable to hang any washing outside and our cars are covered in the bees poop as well. We have spoken to your friend who lives at the property last night and would like to ask you to move the beehives away from the current location ASAP to avoid further complications with damages to our properties. Please advise, Regards Jenny.

Please advise on what to do here and if there is any rule or law around this.
Your time (especially during early December) is much appreciated.
Nedeljko

• Sad 1

I think you should find out your legal rights , which may be on your side .

Offer them honey .

If you have all the legal rights I would tell them to wait till the end of the season .

You were there first .

• Thanks 1

This will fall under nuisance according to council by laws, if complain goes to council, you will be served with 14 days notice to move the hives. Try to explain to the neighbors, sounds like houses n cars are all under flying path of your bees. Since empty sections are now being built on, you may have to look at reducing your hive numbers. Find alternative site and scrap honey off to make the move easier.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Sorry.  But I think you will have to move the bees.  The problem or the house owners are not going to go away.

Not easy to fix.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Agree with the above post. Unfortunately, you will have to move them.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, john berry said:

If people want to live in the country they should accept that livestock and the noises and messes they make are part of the deal. They should go back to town. 

This is the problem we will see more and more in the big cities. Auckland can't spread any further and it will grow compact and dense from now on. This new section is next to a lifestyle block where people have sheep and my bees. 

Thank you all for your quick answers. I will try to buy some time and will look for a new location. First need to harvest the honey to make it lighter. 

58 minutes ago, Nedeljko said:

This is the problem we will see more and more in the big cities. Auckland can't spread any further and it will grow compact and dense from now on. This new section is next to a lifestyle block where people have sheep and my bees. 

Thank you all for your quick answers. I will try to buy some time and will look for a new location. First need to harvest the honey to make it lighter. 

I feel very sorry for you .

If it were me I would be so pissed off .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nedeljko said:

Drop the hive numbers to 2 and move the rest and give them some honey, 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Yep unfortunately your bees pooping over your neighbours stuff is your problem , so you’ll need to move them . 
It wouldn’t hurt to offer them honey plus a house wash . It’s awful stuff to remove....

• Thanks 1

we get this a fair bit. a lot of old farms are cut up into lifestyle blocks and lifestyle blocks are cut up into big sections.

just have to move them elsewhere until the next house gets built.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

We have a similar problem...... and Big Hands will have something to say about this .....

We put bees in behind the Otira Pub when it 'aint raining. And the publican is more than happy because he gets honey to sell in the Restaraunt ( how do you spell that) promoting Otira as the Rata capital of the world.

The problem is the bees stain all the laundry on the line from the hotel suites.

But the Publican is a philospohical man  and sorted the problem by buying a dryer machine ...... which was probably quite a good move this year.

So, go sweeten the neighbours up .... 

The other thought is to erect something like a shade cloth screen so the bees have to fly high and change their flight path, meanwhile edumacating the neighbours to plant something appropriate that will do a similar job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We have a similar problem...... and Big Hands will have something to say about this .....

We put bees in behind the Otira Pub when it 'aint raining. And the publican is more than happy because he gets honey to sell in the Restaraunt ( how do you spell that) promoting Otira as the Rata capital of the world.

The problem is the bees stain all the laundry on the line from the hotel suites.

But the Publican is a philospohical man  and sorted the problem by buying a dryer machine ...... which was probably quite a good move this year.

So, go sweeten the neighbours up .... 

The other thought is to erect something like a shade cloth screen so the bees have to fly high and change their flight path, meanwhile edumacating the neighbours to plant something appropriate that will do a similar job.

The only problem is since Lester took over the village the number of beehives increased so much so the a major player had to move out due to the fact the children could not play outside without being stung.

Just now, Bighands said:

The only problem is since Lester took over the village the number of beehives increased so much so the a major player had to move out due to the fact the children could not play outside without being stung.

Rata capital capital of the world, yeah right .He has had one Rata festival in the 5 years he has been there, instead of every year

Oops ..... yah only need to celebrate when it flowers .... right ?

You not living in one of Lester's houses ?

On 7/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, Alastair said:

I'm not sure Ned which house at your site has the problem. But what I have found in similar situations is that bees will fly over houses that are at the same level or lower than the apiary, but much less likely to fly over them if they are higher than the apiary. Unless there is a natural flight path caused by trees or similar over that house.

Hey Alastair, it is those houses on the right hand side as you come down the driveway. Actually there are 3 new neighbours who moved in and all have the same problem.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, Alastair said:

If the houses in question are higher than your apiary, I would suggest moving the apiary down the drive to a lower location on the same property, this will almost certainly make the problem go away. But if the new houses are lower on the property there may be little you can do. 

These houses are higher and above my apiary. The bees fly over and it does look like my bees pooed all over their property. I have been there for 5 years and I will remove my hives to the lower part of the property which is about 80-90m further down and about 150m away from the complaining houses. It is all away from their sight, below the steep bank and huge trees. Hopefully that resolves the matter. Thanks

On 6/12/2019 at 11:15 PM, kaihoka said:

I feel very sorry for you .

If it were me I would be so pissed off .

I can't be pissed off as there are 5 houses and 4 of them complain. I understand it is a problem to them and will try to find the best solution for everyone by removing the hives 150m away from the neighbours. THanks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nedeljko said:

I will remove my hives to the lower part of the property which is about 80-90m further down and about 150m away from the complaining houses. It is all away from their sight, below the steep bank and huge trees. Hopefully that resolves the matter. 

Good luck with it Ned. It is such a lovely place for bees i do hope this works out. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Having had to vacate apiaries over the years due to urban sprawl, airport development, new highways, rezoning etc I understand that your predicament is frustrating, but at the same time I wouldn't be happy with 12 strong hives 50 m from my washing line or back door.  If there are four neighbours complaining, I don't think you are going to win this one.  Better to remove the hives, before the neighbours get too stroppy and you get ostracised or your hives get damaged.  

• Agree 1

I cant stress talking to your neighbors enough. Get ahead of this. As said above ... give them a date. Educate about the difficulty of moving hives even a small distance..etc

People can be reasonable if they understand .. and if they aren't.. my commiserations... stroppy neighbors moving in have ruined many a happy home and neighborhood.

People who move in and complain about prior stuff are rife in nz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree with WebKiwiNZ. It's the same as those that build houses in areas where there are already well established vineyards, then moan about sprays, machinery operating outside 'normal work hours', frost protection, such as windmills and helicopters, operating at early hours, workers laughing/talking too loud. The list goes on.

If you are going to have to move them now and you find them too heavy for you to lift in one whack, how about moving the boxes to your vehicle one by one. A bit of faffing around but at least they will be moved. Maybe you could move them over a short period of time, instead of all at once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

And it will continue as long as we have unbridled population increase in the name of the economy.

how many people actually live in your town?

Is this an anti-catholic nod to contraception? 

migration figures do not seem that extreme if you consider what the statistics people have recorded.

However, I do agree completely about a 'consumer society' and the waste of energy and resources.

image.thumb.png.2888d74e902aa02e0300d1f0acd7f4da.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChrisM said:

how many people actually live in your town?

More than used to.

1 minute ago, ChrisM said:

Is this an anti-catholic nod to contraception? 

This forum is a bit like like a party conversation...religion, sex, and politics have no part.

• Haha 1

oops, I seem to have nailed all three without trying.

3 hours ago, yesbut said:

More than used to.

And the new people are all over 50yrs

Imagine driving on our nelson rds in 20yrs time .

At least no one will be going over 60 klm hr

• Haha 3