Sam Bees 21

NZBF Extract higher grade honey from hives now?

Hi there, 

I have x4 hives, only 2 of them have done well while Manuka in my area was flowering. So I have some supers of Mono floral Manuka. My question is, should I take them frames out and get them extracted now (local extraction plant) or just keep a note of which supers contain that honey and get it harvested separate to my other at the end of the season?

Reason being I'm unsure with the kanuka and Pohutukawa flowering now wether the bees will start to mix it all together on these fames?

Thanks for the advice.

Wouldn't your extraction plant struggle to keep your two boxes  of honey seperate anyway ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Wouldn't your extraction plant struggle to keep your two boxes  of honey seperate anyway ?

I am suprized they would even do them, can you not get hold of a small club extractor,

• Like 1

Yeah good point, I know it's not much honey so I may be better using a smaller club extractor in a commercial kitchen.

18 minutes ago, Sam Bees 21 said:

Yeah good point, I know it's not much honey so I may be better using a smaller club extractor in a commercial kitchen.

Or a large spoon & spatula in your own kitchen ! 

• Like 2

Can I take the frames off and store them? Or with they be much thicker and harder to extract being Manuka, even after re heating?

13 minutes ago, Sam Bees 21 said:

Can I take the frames off and store them? Or with they be much thicker and harder to extract being Manuka, even after re heating?

They would certainly be harder to handle later. Wax softens as well as the honey......

• Like 1

are you planning to try and sell as manuka honey?

there's no other reason to care about timing, no (should say "very few" cos likely there's at least one out there) beekeepers really believe that manuka honey taken as food has health benefits beyond those from other honey types

If using a small extractor, you must extract within two hours of coming off the hive for it to be still liquid enough to extract preferably less, unless you try and reheat it - which is a mission in it's self.

• Like 1

I'd leave it all on and at the end of the season winter the bees and see how much you are left with . 

We used to take honey dew off early ..... and ended up with starving bees !

• Like 1