Nuc_man

Advocate airborne take on honey situation

? 3$ kg to look forward to....gonna get ugly

• Agree 2

Here is the link

https://media.wix.com/ugd/0f980a_f72912047cbe4fdca219ecc0cd5b505f.pdf

A good read for us retired oldies.

A very scary read for those trying to make a living from our bees.

Subscription is free.  Just subscribe to get your monthly bee fix delivered to your device of choice.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Agree 2

Very interesting. Gosh I have not seen Peter Bray since he was a schoolkid, but he has grown to look very like his Dad. Also has the same no nonsense attitude as his Dad, and the same logical thought processes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’m really enjoying the advocate it’s had really interesting no BS articles that calls it how it is which is very different from the light and fluffy media releases coming from APINZ that talks of 25% price drops and the downturn being temporary.

Its well past time to get real and be honest about the current situation 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Something missing here @Nuc_man  ???

Oops forgot to attach link sorry

Really Interesting article, and a bit scary too. 

Airborne rubbish the mgo and umf values yet put 25+ on their label. Even if they have ‘pollen’ written under it, it still takes advantage of the umf branding and is another confusing measurement for the consumer. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

Really Interesting article, and a bit scary too. 

Airborne rubbish the mgo and umf values yet put 25+ on their label. Even if they have ‘pollen’ written under it, it still takes advantage of the umf branding and is another confusing measurement for the consumer. 

25+ what?

7 minutes ago, Bighands said:

25+ what?

% Manuka pollen according to the label

But in fairness, they introduced their pollen count method before manuka was a thing. They were groundbreaking at the time, introducing a standardised method to correctly identify honey types by the pollen. This was for all honeys, not just manuka.

I suspect that was a resaon they have always been so strident in rejecting the other methods of defining manuka, they felt they already had the ultimate method.

And indeed, the passage of time has shown some of the other methods to be wide open to abuse.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Good Info 3

Airborne have been doing mono floral honeys for a long time and good on them. It seems to me they concentrated mainly on the top end of the market but lately they seem to be buying up a lot of cheap honey and undercutting everybody else.

A producer\packer doesn't want a race to the bottom.

A straight packer sometimes does.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alastair said:

But in fairness, they introduced their pollen count method before manuka was a thing. They were groundbreaking at the time, introducing a standardised method to correctly identify honey types by the pollen. This was for all honeys, not just manuka.

I suspect that was a resaon they have always been so strident in rejecting the other methods of defining manuka, they felt they already had the ultimate method.

And indeed, the passage of time has shown some of the other methods to be wide open to abuse.

Fair point. Did they always use the +, that’s the part that links it to UMF to me. 

Edited by nikki watts

Straight up, I don't know. I would assume the + to mean the count is that, or over.

As a young guy i was friendly with Richard Benseman (now deceased), who later became a partner with Peter. One day he was in Auckland and called into my house, excitedly showing me samples of their latest range of mono honeys and describing the pollen count method they had developed. This was way before manuka was considered anything other than suitable for making biscuits.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

I’ve never seen them selling Kanuka as a mono floral honey but I know for a fact they have bought plenty.  Gone into Manuka perhaps??  

• Agree 1

I was pleased to see  that someone in the industry  saw honey as a food and talked about taste and flavour .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I was pleased to see  that someone in the industry  saw honey as a food and talked about taste and flavour .

They have supported many beekeepers.When I say support they have bought honey off them when others would not. Loyalty goes both ways,supplier and buyer.Packers must find it difficult when they do not know how many tonnes of each type of honey they are getting.Beekeepers must also find it hard when they do not know how much they will get paid for their honey.Very hard to budget.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Bighands

are you sitting inside looking out the window at the weather too.

I am thinking I need more inside hobbies .

• Haha 2

Of course.I split an Amm hive and gave each nuc a frame of eggs and let them raise ther own queens.I moved 1 nuc to where I live now so will be interesting to see how it has mated.I do know it is alive.But if the mating has happened I will be very surprised.No one has moved any hives into the Otira valley yet so the only drones the Queen can mate with are ferals or swarms. The weather has not been great, about 4 fine days in the last month.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Bighands

are you sitting inside looking out the window at the weather too.

I am thinking I need more inside hobbies .

30 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Of course.I split an Amm hive and gave each nuc a frame of eggs and let them raise their own queens.I moved 1 nuc to where I live now so will be interesting to see how it has mated.I do know it is alive.But if the mating has happened I will be very surprised.No one has moved any hives into the Otira valley yet so the only drones the Queen can mate with are ferals or swarms. The weather has not been great, about 4 fine days in the last month.

Beautiful day here in Manawatu.  A little draughty but nothing to slow the hives down at all.

The rain yesterday pretty much missed us totally.  Nice and green here but will burn off soon if we don't get some rain.

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Beautiful day here in Manawatu.  A little draughty but nothing to slow the hives down at all.

The rain yesterday pretty much missed us totally.  Nice and green here but will burn off soon if we don't get some rain.

Burning off fast east coast south island

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Beautiful day here in Manawatu

No appropriate emoji response for that .

Need a new one . LOL

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how anyone can give their customers confidence that they are buying genuine Manuka Honey by giving them a pollen count on the jar,

3 hours ago, Ted said:

I’ve never seen them selling Kanuka as a mono floral honey but I know for a fact they have bought plenty.  Gone into Manuka perhaps??  

How many years can the consumer be mislead about pollen counts on Manuka/Kanuks before they finaly give up and find something else to buy.......................

12 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

Not sure how anyone can give their customers confidence that they are buying genuine Manuka Honey by giving them a pollen count on the jar,

How many years can the consumer be mislead about pollen counts on Manuka/Kanuks before they finaly give up and find something else to buy.......................

If you combine pollen count with taste and thixotrophy you will nail a good manuka honey. 

Noone talks about taste these days 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I guess my point was they talk about integrity and honesty but then go and pay $18 kg for 100% Kanuka (a couple of years ago) so at that price it is definitely being sold as Manuka.