Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

December 2019 Apiary Diary

Recommended Posts

The last month of the year has arrived. Where did the year go to?

I hope everyone's hives are great condition for the honey season.

 

All the very best wishes for the season of the Big Red Fella.

 

Have a happy and Blessed Christmas and a Great New Year.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

What I’m seeing at the moment is shiny bees. Not many ,  but more than I’d like to and in more hives than I’d like to. I had shiny bees by the bucket full, heading into winter , which was not good, but they seem to have made a reappearance . I have not seen any for months 

C3AD47DB-247B-4F7F-BA16-84356CFDA384.jpeg

  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

The last month of the year has arrived. Where did the year go to?

I hope everyone's hives are great condition for the honey season.

 

All the very best wishes for the season of the Big Red Fella.

 

Have a happy and Blessed Christmas and a Great New Year.

Bees are healthy but weather is s--t

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Bees are healthy but weather is s--t

We are just a bit north of endless sh-t.

But we will be getting some next week .

A shame because there is such a lot happening in the bush .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

We are just a bit north of endless sh-t.

But we will be getting some next week .

A shame because there is such a lot happening in the bush .

A normal spring,a little sick of the wet weather. One good thing is selection of bees that can mate in this weather will stay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bighands said:

Bees are healthy but weather is s--t

Manukas budding☹️

8991C2E7-9867-4C3A-9728-D58D9E64C303.jpeg

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot and dry here we could desperately do with some of your rain from down south.  29 degrees on the Eastern Verandah this afternoon with the promise of more hot weather to come, no rain forecast for the next ten days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BJC said:

Hot and dry here we could desperately do with some of your rain from down south.  29 degrees on the Eastern Verandah this afternoon with the promise of more hot weather to come, no rain forecast for the next ten days.

How much rain you want ?

you can have most of whats coming to us this week . LOL.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

How much rain you want ?

you can have most of whats coming to us this week . LOL.

 

Happy to take the lot but I might regret that when I visit Westport on Tuesday  that is if I dont get blown out of the sky with the expected winds

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please, send the rain this way... at the top end of the fabulous Bay of Plenty we have had zilch rain. Today... can't see the Kaimai's... can't see Katikati.... The Mount... gone, but here in the lonely top of the bay, nothing but sunshine, glorious sunshine and wilting veges... though the Pohutukawas' are loving it!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jamesc said:

Manukas budding☹️

8991C2E7-9867-4C3A-9728-D58D9E64C303.jpeg

Our Manuka is just ended, almost all the flowers have fallen off, so far we are 2 weeks earlier than last season. 

The best one I've seen was when the flowers ended after cristmas

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Our Manuka is just ended, almost all the flowers have fallen off, so far we are 2 weeks earlier than last season. 

The best one I've seen was when the flowers ended after cristmas

I saw manukas today on our place today covered in buds .

Not active though so not worth more than bush honey .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Please, send the rain this way... at the top end of the fabulous Bay of Plenty we have had zilch rain. Today... can't see the Kaimai's... can't see Katikati.... The Mount... gone, but here in the lonely top of the bay, nothing but sunshine, glorious sunshine and wilting veges... though the Pohutukawas' are loving it!

 

We got a bit of rain last night, up in the hills. Not enough. Are you down near the water?

Well,a few more early morning drives and all the ladies and few men are in their summer locations. My shifting started early October, ending this week. 

Then box up. Still green but too dry. Need substantial rain to flush up, 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

We got a bit of rain last night, up in the hills. Not enough. Are you down near the water?

Athenree, near Waihi Beach. Dry as a bone...

Today's dribble looks like it'll pass us by. Now that we are on water meters the veges are getting expensive!

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Gwenyn Gwesty said:

Athenree, near Waihi Beach. Dry as a bone...

Today's dribble looks like it'll pass us by. Now that we are on water meters the veges are getting expensive!

And the Pumpkin ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, jamesc said:

And the Pumpkin ...?

I was going to ask you the same thing!

191202 Pumpkin 001.JPG

191202 Pumpkin 004.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a dry spot. Cows been recently. Got potential, if it gets soaked. Some years we can be toasted and produce. Others years, like last, green but slow 

DSC_0319-1376x774.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been a great spring where I am this season. Plenty of rain and plenty of sunshine. Bees are loving it. 
 

last December rained constantly and ruined the flow. Hopefully not this year!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

It has been a great spring where I am this season. Plenty of rain and plenty of sunshine. Bees are loving it. 
 

last December rained constantly and ruined the flow. Hopefully not this year!

Has not stopped raining here.

.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re getting daily rain and showers now .

just as the Manuka is flowering ..... 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

We’re getting daily rain and showers now .

just as the Manuka is flowering ..... 

Is that normal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Has not stopped raining here.

.

I spent 6 months in tropical aussie winter .

Rained one day .

Fantastic !!!

Its raining here now too .

Edited by kaihoka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

This is a dry spot. Cows been recently. Got potential, if it gets soaked. Some years we can be toasted and produce. Others years, like last, green but slow 

DSC_0319-1376x774.JPG

Makes great smoker fuel ..... really. 

Honeys flowing here  ..... big time in this warm and sultry weather . Should be finished splitting by the end of the week ...... oh well, who needs more worthless honey, at least the bees are up and running !!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 12:13 PM, M4tt said:

 

 

What I’m seeing at the moment is shiny bees. Not many ,  but more than I’d like to and in more hives than I’d like to. I had shiny bees by the bucket full, heading into winter , which was not good, but they seem to have made a reappearance . I have not seen any for months 

C3AD47DB-247B-4F7F-BA16-84356CFDA384.jpeg

 Are you sure they havent just been foraging on salvias. I have a number of plants and was a bit worried at seeing shiney bees til I watched them push their way into the flower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tomatoes are doin better than the pumpkins.

7D11D02C-9838-4302-A06F-6F910CFE1703.jpeg

AC62A62D-CF81-476F-A366-02A905C6EA41.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...