yesbut

Oh, Frazz !!!

@frazzledfozzle  Somebody around here has been buying from the opposition !  Check out my latest swarm !

20191129_135608 (Medium).jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

@yesbut

shes very beautifull, are they nice bees .

• Like 1

They are on 3/4 frames which allows me to be a bit tempted to keep them. I've always rather fancied some grey bees around the place.  They're nice enough. None of my swarms/hives are grumpy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

@frazzledfozzle  Somebody around here has been buying from the opposition !  Check out my latest swarm !

20191129_135608 (Medium).jpg

blimmen Heck !!

Doesnt look like all those bees are of that queen though. Those yellow bees are supposed to look more darker even if she had mated with italian drones. The queen looks pure Carniolan and the first cross between a Carniolan queen with Italian drones look a lot darker than normal italians but not as dark as pure Carniolans.

Maybe it is a queen which has been bought and introduced into a hive and it has swarmed for what ever reason before all the bees have changed into the new queens offsprings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Jose Thayil said:

Doesnt look like all those bees are of that queen though. Those yellow bees are supposed to look more darker even if she had mated with italian drones. The queen looks pure Carniolan and the first cross between a Carniolan queen with Italian drones look a lot darker than normal italians but not as dark as pure Carniolans.

Maybe it is a queen which has been bought and introduced into a hive and it has swarmed for what ever reason before all the bees have changed into the new queens offsprings.

Is she laying though ? She might be a sister to those bees 

10 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Is she laying though ? She might be a sister to those bees 

That's one reason reason why  I like her...laying up a storm, faster than they can draw comb..

I've had an attack of the guilts, the real owner is quite keen to get her back......swarmy and all.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

That's one reason reason why  I like her...laying up a storm, faster than they can draw comb..

Interesting photo

Finders- Keepers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Kill it Kill it 😄

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, yesbut said:

I've had an attack of the guilts, the real owner is quite keen to get her back......swarmy and all.....

suspect it's the owner's beekeeping that is swarmy, not the queen. Keeping it will give the beekeeper a lesson in competence in swarm competence that giving it back will never do

• Agree 1

welcome to the great unwashed ...

16 hours ago, Jose Thayil said:

Doesnt look like all those bees are of that queen though. 

I have queens, grafted from AI carniolans and open mated and their offspring look exactly like that. Wide variation in colours.

• Like 1

I'll give it back to the owner...... for 250 :D

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of the pure Carniolans I had before.

7.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Did you get an AI queen?

No. Open mated in a closed breeding area. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jose Thayil said:

This is one of the pure Carniolans I had before.

7.jpg

So have you lost that strain?

7 hours ago, Bighands said:

So have you lost that strain?

Well the daughter queens were also open mated for a few generations now and most have some Italian in them but generally are about 70 % dark bees and30 % lighter bees. Good calm bees still and works well for me.

Edited by Jose Thayil
  • Like 1

What I've found with the blacks is they can be pretty docile in nice weather and a flow. But when there isn't a flow, let's just be polite and say I'll take italians.

• Good Info 1
  • Sad 1

Please give it to me. Many reasons i would go for a Carniolan queen.
Carniolans respond quickly to changes in nectar and pollen availability.
They can build up a workforce and break it down more quickly than Italians. They
fly at colder temperatures. They may be less susceptible to brood pathogens, diseases may spread more slowly in a Carniolan apiary.
They are commonly agreed to be as gentle as Italians. Italians don’t forage as far as Carniolans. Italians keep large number of bees after the nectarflow stops and therefore consume more honey. True, they may want to swarm more but I can manage that. My Carniolans aren't aggressive.

• Like 1

Gotta say Ned, when we worked your hives together last week, I was impressed with what nice bees they were, and also how much honey they have gathered thus far. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nedeljko said:

fly at colder temperatures. They may be less susceptible to brood pathogens, diseases may spread more slowly in a Carniolan apiary.
They are commonly agreed to be as gentle as Italians. Italians don’t forage as far as Carniolans

cant say I’ve read any research notes on these conclusions ?

not saying there isn’t any but would love to know if there’s any actual truth in any of it. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

5 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

cant say I’ve read any research notes on these conclusions ?

not saying there isn’t any but would love to know if there’s any actual truth in any of it. 

For the research you can start here - 

I have one Italian and one Carniolan hives next to each other on an urban site. Italians were larger in numbers in an early spring. Once the nectar flow starts Carniolan overtake quickly and brought more honey. Carniolans lead by a 3/4 box of honey so far. 
I am sure Italians are great for the Mediterranean type of climate but Carniolans are better by far for NZ in my opinion.
Also, it is worth mentioning that cross-breed or (Tiger queens) have also interesting and some of the features we all love. hygiene, honey yield, etc. 
Dr Peter Dearden from University of Otago mentions that we have large variety of genes in NZ and also some that are only present in NZ.