My lure box cached a swarm this afternoon. Two questions, do bees that want to swarm,  first find a place to go to and then swarm to that place . Or do they swarm and than try to find a place. Or both. The reason why I ask is bees where checking out the lure-box for 5 days and more before they decided to move in.  You would think a already swarmed colony hanging in a tree somewhere would not wait that long. Other question. I like to give it to my neighbour (150 meter away), should I wait until the queen has  some eggs or move it as soon as possible so foragers won't come back to the original place? Thanks

z01 swarm.JPG

z02 swarm.JPG

z03 swarm.JPG

Move it to it's permanent home as soon as possible. Like today or tomorrow morning.  Often swarming Queens will fly from the hive and get tired quite soon and have a rest somewhere not far away from the old home, and the swarm will settle there until they decide to move...

Swarming bees have their GPS system reset. If you leave them to settle in too long you'll lose flying bees making a short shift like that.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

23 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Swarming bees have their GPS system reset. If you leave them to settle in too long you'll lose flying bees making a short shift like that.

Great, thank you for your advice yesbut, I will move the box this evening.

• Like 1