TheProspect_Beekeeper

1080 Hive and Honey testing

I'm interested to know whether people have had their hive/honey affected or tainted by 1080 poison since the banning of Jam baits in 92. All the Antis bangin on about how its ruining the industry and NZ'S reputation on the world honey market. I call BS as it would have been become apparent during honey tests and reported yes?

No laboratory have developed a test for the presence of 1080 in hone.Landcare will test your honey but their test only goes down to .005 and this lab is owned by  the government,so would you trust them.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Bighands said:

this lab is owned by  the government,so would you trust them.

i would

• Agree 5
  • Haha 1

what does 0.005 mean?

What is the maximum level of 1080 permitted in export honey?

And/or considered to be considered an insignificant trace?

If Landcare does this test, then surely one laboratory has a test for 1080?

Is it usual for the laboratories to keep their tests secret?

14 hours ago, Bighands said:

No laboratory have developed a test for the presence of 1080 in hone.Landcare will test your honey but their test only goes down to .005 and this lab is owned by  the government,so would you trust them.

God , you guys carry on like DOC is the Black Opps  division of the Deep State .  LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

God , you guys carry on like DOC is the Black Ops  division of the Deep State .  LOL

You are so correct with that statement

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1080 is a naturally occurring organic compound which can be made artificially and used to kill pests.

People don't seem to get so upset about formic acid, oxalic acid and thymol which are also naturally occurring organic compounds made artificially and used to kill pests.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, ChrisM said:

Is it usual for the laboratories to keep their tests secret?

That probably depends what the purpose of your lab is. If you are a commercial lab then having secret tests wouldn't particularly help your cause.

On 27/11/2019 at 6:04 AM, Bighands said:

What load of bloody nonsense, this is up there with chem trails and the fake moon landing.

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, john berry said:

1080 is a naturally occurring organic compound which can be made artificially and used to kill pests.

People don't seem to get so upset about formic acid, oxalic acid and thymol which are also naturally occurring organic compounds made artificially and used to kill pests.

if you eat 200 grams of carrots you habe more than a treatment dose of oxalic acid in your stomach. yet i doubt youd want to eat anything that contained even small amounts of 1080? would you?

certain chemicals will just have certain impacts to certain animals at certain concentrations. Comparing them like this does not do any good to any attempt at a sensible discussion.

that said i see 1080 as a necessity and get the impression that they are fairly transparent about it.

Yet People are stupid and make a big fuss about some pellets dropped into the bush and dont care about the nasty poisons sprayed on their food and everywhere on the side of the roads.

how exactly is 1080 supposed to get into honey?

The point I was trying to make is that you will never get a sensible discussion about 1080. It is nevertheless a naturally occurring product that is found in some foodstuffs including apparently tea.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

agree. there certainly are more nasty substances out there

20 hours ago, Christi An said:

Yet People are stupid and make a big fuss about some pellets dropped into the bush and dont care about the nasty poisons sprayed on their food and everywhere on the side of the roads.

that to me is a huge issue.

we must be consuming so many residual chemicals when we eat our fruit and veges :( 

• Agree 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

that to me is a huge issue.

we must be consuming so many residual chemicals when we eat our fruit and veges :( 

Except orchardists have very strict standards for spray residues because of the export market .

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

Except orchardists have very strict standards for spray residues because of the export market .

Like putting apples in a calcium bath so they hold up in cold storage

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Never mind the volume of unrecyclable chemical containers.

17 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Like putting apples in a calcium bath so they hold up in cold storage

I never saw that at the packing shed I worked at .

10 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Never mind the volume of unrecyclable chemical containers.

that is true .

But the IPM regime that they subscribe to now means that there are a lot more things alive in orchards these days and the mangement is aware of using predators to control bugs .

But in nelson its the fungus thats the biggest problem .

Fungicides are nasty stuff.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I never saw that at the packing shed I worked at .

I saw it when I was picking fruit.

Just now, Bighands said:

How many yrs ago was that ?

Just now, kaihoka said:

How many yrs ago was that ?

10 yrs ago

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bighands said:

15 hours ago, Bighands said:

10 yrs ago

For gods sake, if you going to say this is what happens in  food production, make it bloody relevant, and up to date. we only just got cell phones 10 yrs ago.

Thats like saying the kiwifruit spray orchards every 6 weeks regardless, which they used to do, 20 bloody years ago, ,but dont do now.

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

For gods sake, if you going to say this is what happens in  food production, make it bloody relevant, and up to date. we only just got cell phones 10 yrs ago.

Thats like saying the kiwifruit spray orchards every 6 weeks regardless, which they used to do, 20 bloody years ago, ,but dont do now.

100% support on this @Dennis Crowley

• Agree 1

Oh still small voice of calm.....

Atrazine is a residual herbicide used by maize growers ..... kills everything dead except the maize plant for months and months.

The Tordon we sprayed on our gorse covered hillsides has a residual knockdown effect for a year or so....

We spray pasture with Glyphosate and turn a  mob of sheep in to eat the Tag .....

The question is  .....the rain falls from the skies and washes the residual into the water courses and we take water from those courses for drinking, or relax in swimming holes in the midday heat ..... or spray it onto pasture to make the grass grow green in a dry time ......

Water is life.

And we wonder why we have increased levels of ADDH, Depression, Manic idiots .....  

I tell ya brother,  It 'aint right and we are messing with stuff that has short term gain and  long term consequences.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 5

54 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Hives that had been used to pollinate organic apple orchards were on average noticeably weaker than those from conventional orchards. Personally I like organics but being on those orchards for some reason seemed to knock the hives around.

You certainly see a lot less cases of spray poisoning now than you did 20 years ago in all orchard types.

@john berry

organic orchards use heaps of copper , maybe bees do not do well with plants grown with lots of copper in the soil .

@jamesc

Do cropping farmers export.?   if not they will not be subject to the same standards as  food  exports.