Avo

NZBF Reusing Honey super frames

Hi, looking for some advise on repurposing frames.

Last year we found the plastic frames used in the honey supers, were much easier to uncap, extract then the wooden ones, so this season are going all plastic for supers, I have a supply of first year wooden ex-super frames from the extraction, placed back into the hive as wets, cleaned up and then stored for this year and I would like to repurpose for the 2nd brood box. I also have a number wooden frames un-used (will need to purchase some wax sheets).... what is the best for the hive ?... all new undrawn waxed frames 10+, or ex honey super frames of which I have 40+... got about 50 plastic frames I am cleaning up for rewaxing. I have 4 hives to double storey, two are new NUCs. 

Appreciate feedback, thanks.

Edited by Avo
  • Like 1

Hi Avo

So long as your ex honey frames are well drawn, they make excellent brood frames.

The queen can lay virtually straight away as soon as the bees have reformed the cells , and they will store food as well.

There is nothing wrong with brand new frames , except the bees need to draw them .

If you prefer plastic, you can replace the wax in the wooden frames with plastic inserts as you need to . Just give them a good thick waxing before you put them in the hive and the bees will draw them well on a good honey flow

Thanks Matt, appreciate the advise, had not thought of the plastic inserts, will give them a go... 👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Avo said:

Thanks Matt, appreciate the advise, had not thought of the plastic inserts, will give them a go... 👍

I'd recommend using them. Makes life easier.

I would not recommend them. It's one instance where we can quite reasonably say no to plastic .

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

any drawn frame is like having money in the bank, bees do not have to turn round and rebuild comb, there fore producing honey, we have have a few plastics but use  and make all wooden,

if you get AFB which you will some time a wooden frame is much nicer to burn than a plastic