Alastair

Epipen Alternative You Can Afford

Picked this up today from the Northcross Pharmacy, $25. 

Yes that's right folks, $25.

The owner, Philip, ran me through a little talk on how to use it. Unlike an Epipen that requires no skill, this requires that the adrenaline ampule be snapped open, the needle attached to the syringe, the adrenaline sucked out of the ampule, dose adjusted to 1/2 a ml, then pushed into the thigh full length of the needle, and injected.

Being so much cheaper than an Epipen, this kit will be far more accessable to the masses. This is the first kit Philip has sold, he is waiting to see how popular they are and is considering options about possibly a more detailed list of instructions to be included in the pack. The price may need to go up, but it's still a great deal and will give peace of mind to those concerned for others who may be stung by your bees.

anaphylaxis kit 1.jpg

anaphylaxis 2.jpg

Northcross Pharmacy.jpg

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 5
  • Good Info 3

That’s awesome, how much adrenaline is in the ampule? Is there enough for more than one dose? 

Oops just read the label holds 2 doses.. 

I wonder if he will post them.. 

Edited by Stoney

He told me to regard the ampule as one dose. IE, suck most of it into the syringe, then point the syringe upwards and flick it a few times so any air in it will go to the top, then squeeze it so any air will be expelled, and dose reduced to a 1/2 ml, don't bother trying to catch or save the bit that is wasted.

As to wether they will post I'm not sure, how about drop them an email, attention Philip, to find out. He was certainly very obliging and helpful when I was in the store.

I also got a similar kit last night, but after an hour+ training course on its use and the symptoms of anaphylaxis. It also covered the appropriate dose for a child, and the possible need for further shots.

I would be very cautious of kitting up with the ampule and syringe without training and practice. If you need it for yourself, an epipen is the better choice

.https://www.resusnelson.nz/courses-scenario-training/anaphylaxis-training

From a different source, I'm told the patent on the Epipen expires in a couple of years....maybe then  a functional lifesaver will be affordable.

• Good Info 1

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

I wonder if he will post them.. 

Just heard back from the pharmacy who tell me they post stuff all over the country, no issues.

• Thanks 2