nikki watts

Auckland city bee bylaw.

Does anyone know if Auckland city have any bylaws about the number of hives on a section ?

Our overstocking neighbour has gone into overdrive and put over 60 hives on his 3/4 acre section next to our 800 acre Manuka block. 

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Does anyone know if Auckland city have any bylaws about the number of hives on a section ?

Our overstocking neighbour has gone into overdrive and put over 60 hives on his 3/4 acre section next to our 800 acre Manuka block. 

Are they his hives .?

Does he live in the middle of them ?

Edited by kaihoka

Surely if the zoning is rural resedential the district plan allows for rural livestock of which bees are one.

There are specific bylaws - mainly relevant to urban hives.  I know there was a thread on here at the time we were all fronting up to make submissions, as originally they were going to charge a poultice for the right to have bees.

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Are they his hives .?

Does he live in the middle of them ?

Yes they’re his and no he’s not crazy enough to live there. 

Hes just making life hard for the people who do live there. I’ve already had one lot say they’re having trouble with bees trying to get water from the only tap they have. 

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Yes they’re his and no he’s not crazy enough to live there. 

Hes just making life hard for the people who do live there. I’ve already had one lot say they’re having trouble with bees trying to get water from the only tap they have. 

That is so annoying .

Is he local to the barrier ?

Can you shame him into moving them .

Social pressure can be quite effective in small rural areas .

3 hours ago, Dal said:

The specific section relating to bees is:

9 Types of animal management controls
(1) The council may make controls for the following purposes -
(a) the keeping of bees in an urban area, specifically–
(i) bee management;
(ii) flight path management; and
(iii) provision of water;

I can only assume that a complaint would need to be made for the Council to act.
There are no limits on numbers, and nothing relating to locations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

That is so annoying .

Is he local to the barrier ?

Can you shame him into moving them .

Social pressure can be quite effective in small rural areas .

He doesn’t live here but has brought this section and another block around the coast. 

Ive tried talking stocking rates and reasoning with him but he doesn’t think putting hives  100-200 mtrs   from ours is a big deal. 

We can try and shift ours further into our blocks but that will need diggers. 

It looks like it will come down to who can afford to stay in business the longest without getting a decent crop. Not a good outcome for anyone or the bees. 

1 hour ago, PhilEvans said:

The specific section relating to bees is:

9 Types of animal management controls
(1) The council may make controls for the following purposes -
(a) the keeping of bees in an urban area, specifically–
(i) bee management;
(ii) flight path management; and
(iii) provision of water;

I can only assume that a complaint would need to be made for the Council to act.
There are no limits on numbers, and nothing relating to locations.

Thanks . We’ve suggested  the neighbours to complain  to the council. 

We may all suffer for what  this guy is doing. There’s 3 other beekeepers in the area that would be affected by the council having to step in. 

• Sad 1

I have heard this sort of argument before and for me it really depends on who was their first. If you're neighbouring beekeeper had bees there before you bought your property then I don't have a problem but if you were keeping bees before him and he has moved the bees in on top of you I suggest you do something along the lines of trying to make sure you take your honey off before he does and then Feed a large amount of colourfully dyed sugar right across the fence from his hives. Heating  the sugar beforehand would also increase its hmf.

It's time some people learnt that for every action there can be a reaction

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, john berry said:

I have heard this sort of argument before and for me it really depends on who was their first. If you're neighbouring beekeeper had bees there before you bought your property then I don't have a problem but if you were keeping bees before him and he has moved the bees in on top of you I suggest you do something along the lines of trying to make sure you take your honey off before he does and then Feed a large amount of colourfully dyed sugar right across the fence from his hives. Heating  the sugar beforehand would also increase its hmf.

It's time some people learnt that for every action there can be a reaction

We were there 4 or 5 years before he purchased. He knew dam well we had hives over the road when he brought the section. It was always about cropping  our Manuka block.

last year he only had a modest amount of hives there, that was bad enough. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nikki watts said:

We were there 4 or 5 years before he purchased. He knew dam well we had hives over the road when he brought the section. It was always about cropping  our Manuka block.

last year he only had a modest amount of hives there, that was bad enough. 

This guy may have other sources of income .

Some people have no idea or just do not care about the precarious financial existence of remote rural living

12 hours ago, kaihoka said:

This guy may have other sources of income .

Some people have no idea or just do not care about the precarious financial existence of remote rural living

That’s the crazy thing, he’s a hard working, struggling beek just like all of us. He does pollination and runs hives all over the north island chasing Manuka.

Hes probably doing the same thing to other beeks in other areas. he just doesn’t seem to get that overcrowding means everyone loses. 

• Sad 2

Sounds like he must of started out working for one of the corporates, and learned about hive placement from them.

• Agree 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, olbe said:

Sounds like he must of started out working for one of the corporates, and learned about hive placement from them.

Dosent need to learn that from the corporates, a lot of non-corparates doing the same thing

• Like 1