Jamo

Spray damage

Does anyone know the label instructions regarding bee safe use of these sprays in kiwi fruit orchards

Movento

Prodigy

Luna

Actiguard.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Does anyone know the label instructions regarding bee safe use of these sprays in kiwi fruit orchards

Movento

Prodigy

Luna

Actiguard.

It's the wetting/sticky additives and pure pressure blaster on bees that knocks them.

And your bees are out but not the neighbours

Edited by Gino de Graaf

Don Mac is the guy you want to chat to, i cant put my finger on the info right now.

I dont know how to tag Don into this conversation.

48 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Probably Google those chemicals, 

I've done that. Not particularly helpful. @Don Mac

From memory they all have to be used before kiwifruit flowering starts. Recommend the orchard is mown first so the sward is not flowering also.

these chemicals themselves are not particularly dangerous to bees.

there will be bee safety statements on each label - these labels can be accessed on the acvm website. However the restriction on before flowering use only is mandated by Zespri 

cheers

• Agree 1

Under Zespri spray program they all should be used pre-flower,

Prodigy, movento up to 5 days pre-flowering, Luna and Actiguard up to 2 days pre-flowering.

Actiguard and Movento can then be used again after harvest while the leaves are still gowing.

To me the only Bee-Safe thing about them is that they SHOULD be used when there is no flowers to intice bees into orchards, or while bees in the orchard.

• Agree 1

Morning Folks

I always have breakfast before putting the computer on - it is much more relaxing way to eat and watch the sun come up.

@Jamo   - one question why do you need this information?  Have you had  bee kill?

Reason, I do not like trying to point at products with a shotgun.......if you have had a bee kill get the dead bees tested in a pesticide screen to identify the chemical first.

Then we can target the chemical with a rifle shot.

Please detail why you need this info.

2nd Question - Have you Read the Labels? There are two formulations of Movento insecticide and 3 formulations of Luna fungicide. Which one mate? 

I do have some clues but some growers have been known to do a deal and get some cheap product from another source.

Those 4 pesticides are all authorised for use on Kiwifruit. So refer to the Zespri spray programme and their guide for protecting pollinators at all times.

Movento 100SC by Bayer Crop Science is a systemic insecticide for the control of armoured scale in Kiwifruit.

Movento 150OD is sold as an insecticide for potatoes.

A really interesting product, as it is sold as an insecticide but is not classified as toxic to invertebrates (Class 9.4)

No label warnings for honey bees. But application is preflowering so risk is minimal - Label states clearly " the first at green-tip and the second pre-flowering."

Label is located here; https://www.cropscience.bayer.co.nz/products/insecticides/movento 100sc

Luna Privilege by Bayer Crop Science is a Fungicide for the control of Sclerotinia in Kiwifruit. There are 2 other Luna products, making three in total.

It has no warning statements concerning effects on pollinators and is not classified as toxic to honey bees (Class 9.4).

The Label states that application is recommended from 7 days before flowering until 80% of flowering is complete.

But Zespri's spray programme states that the grower should not apply after bud phase of the flowering cycle - pre flowering use only.
So it is applied during flowering which means it has some risk for honey bees during pollination, especially if used as a spray tank mixture. See Link below.

Label is located here; https://www.cropscience.bayer.co.nz/products/fungicides/luna privilege

Actigard is manufactured by Syngenta.

ACTIGARD is a plant activator that stimulates systemic acquired resistance, reducing the symptoms of Psa (Pseudomonas syringae pv. actinidiae) in Kiwifruit.

There is no data on toxicity to honey bees. It is not classified as Class 9.4.

There is a special application note for use when controlling PSA in Kiwifruit - see link below. It should be applied post harvest and not at this time of the year!

Label is located here; https://www.syngenta.co.nz/product/crop-protection/plant-activator/actigard

Prodigy is a systemic insecticide developed by DOW AgroSciences and now a product of Corteva. It is used for the control of leaf roller in Kiwifruit. And it is classified as 9.4A.

Initial data showed it was safe to honey bees, but sub lethal effects have since been researched in flowering almonds - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29361013

Be careful with honey bees if this product is applied is my personal advice.

But note the label  recommendation " Apply at pre-bloom or at late flowering followed by 2 further applications at 14 day intervals."  Do not apply during flowering is what it says to me.

Refer to  the Zespri Spray programme _ I do not have a copy of this seasons programme.

Label is located here; https://www.corteva.co.nz/products-and-solutions/crop-protection/prodigy.html

I am really surprised that there are still growers who wish to apply these products during flowering and pollination.

The other factor you should always ask information about is - what other products are in the spray tank.

Surfactants, penetrants, foliar nutrient products etc. etc.

@Jamo more information please

• Good Info 2

Here’s a trailer load of stuff that showed up in the yard this morning prior to inflicting some spray damage on  a lot of gorse!

2FE547BB-1A07-4421-81C7-90C58E30F652.jpeg

Discount on a bulk buy ..... Ecan got on our case so we had to take out a sixth mortgage.

Ecan is a bit of a misnoma  ...... an Environmental authority bull dozing farm operations to do what goes against the grain of environmental stewardship.  

Edited by jamesc

26 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Discount on a bulk buy ..... Ecan got on our case so we had to take out a sixth mortgage.

Ecan is a bit of a misnoma  ...... an Environmental authority bull dozing farm operations to do what goes against the grain of environmental stewardship.  

What would happen if you did not follow ECAN rules?

We tried ..... you get bulldozed  and recieve snotty phonecalls threatening with  legal action to make you comply.  Sometimes it's easier just to be a drone.

5 minutes ago, Bighands said:

What would happen if you did not follow ECAN rules?

Maybe have a lovely valley full of regen ?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

We tried ..... you get bulldozed  and recieve snotty phonecalls threatening with  legal action to make you comply.  Sometimes it's easier just to be a drone.

Whats wrong gorse ?

We have a lovely native forest in areas that were gorse 40yrs ago

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

Whats wrong gorse ?

It's a declared noxious weed. If Authority wants to get heavy ..........we know all about it's good points.....fact remains it swallows grazing.

• Like 1

The trouble with a lot of these Gvt agencies is that they want the problem fixed yesterday.

They don't seem to have the mentality to wait out the generation and watch the big picture unfold.

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

It's a declared noxious weed. If Authority wants to get heavy ..........we know all about it's good points.....fact remains it swallows grazing.

True ..... but under our Climate change obligations  to reduce our Methane emmisions we have cut our stock numbers by 50% .... so the gorse has had a fieldday .... so we used the cash to  buy chemical ...... and with all due respect .... how Irish is that ? 

Like I have always believed ..... sometimes a lot of these Office Wallahs need to get out a bit more .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gorse is well known as a nursery crop for native regeneration...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Looks like enough chem to knock out about 160 ha there @jamesc ! On the subject of spray damage , I was spraying some blackberry yesterday and noticed heaps of  paper wasp queens , so decided to use them as my test subjects . I  was using met with  penetrant added  . As soon as I misted the wasps with spray , they dropped like a stone . Same with a German wasp queen  at the wrong place at the wrong time . I was surprised how quick it affected them , so you wouldn’t want to aerial spray flowering gorse with hives nearby . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I have a site thats forage was recently chopper dosed with Met + penetrant.. they flew most of the day getting it done. I didn’t notice piles of bees out front as I guess they never made it home. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I have a site thats forage was recently chopper dosed with Met + penetrant.. they flew most of the day getting it done. I didn’t notice piles of bees out front as I guess they never made it home. 

What sort of forage were they spraying .?

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

What I’m not sure about is whether the penetrant only causes trouble as direct contact , or if it can also cause harm to bees  as a coating on the plant . My thinking is that once the spray has started to dry on the plant it would pose less of a risk .  

Part of the solution is communication , but the reality is hardly anyone knows if there’s bees on their place , let alone their neighbours now . I load helicopters a bit so get to see apiary sites from the air , and invariably there will be hives tucked away out of sight . Generally we do the majority of our spraying early morning while it’s calm , so as a result hopefully that helps reduce the risk to bees . At the end of the day , as beekeepers we need to assess the risks when placing hives . If there’s a big block of gorse/ scrub nearby , a tub of $4kg honey and a chat to the land owner about future spray plans could pay dividends later .

Science in action ..... next time you need two target  samples ..... dose one with penetrant, one with chemical. Observe ,record and report  result .  Nothing to it.

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Jamesc, do you have to spray the whole property or just 10mtrs in from your boundry ? 

you should make them watch the doco about the chap on Banks Pen that left the gorse so naive could grow.

9 hours ago, Stoney said:

@Stoney  have you reported that incident to the EPA Pollinator incidents webpage?

https://www.epa.govt.nz/everyday-environment/animals-and-insects/bees/?accordion-anchor=497

We need the EPA to be fully aware of all the incidents that happen to get any long term results that protect our bees.

Please report it if you have not to date. We need the EPA to see that data.

• Thanks 1