frazzledfozzle

World honey prices

Without wanting to be nasty ..... but I wonder if the Ozzy bush fires have a put a damper on their Manuka.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

Without wanting to be nasty ..... but I wonder if the Ozzy bush fires have a put a damper on their Manuka.

Read my aussie bush fire post .

It has a link

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/beekeepers-traumatised-by-screaming-animals-after-bushfires/11721756

Edited by kaihoka

I did ..... and it it does'nt look good  .

• Agree 1

Yes that's one of the horrible things about these fires, the suffering of animals that might take days to die in excrutiating pain.

• Sad 2

On 2/12/2019 at 7:57 AM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't know about the BOP and Avo plantings.  But go for a drive up into Northland.  Many thousand of Hectares have been converted into Avo plantings.  I have no idea where they think they will get the staff to harvest them

How about now? 

Be some shiny arshes who will become manual outdoor converts very soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

How about now? 

Be some shiny arshes who will become manual outdoor converts very soon.

I don't think so.  

Most of the available workforce do not want to work.  However, I get your point, but this pandemic will not last long enough for the current plantings to be bearing fruit.

On 22/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, jamesc said:

What Manuka??? Theirs got wasted.

2 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

What Manuka??? Theirs got wasted.

Still plenty in Tassie I believe

• Thanks 1

On 22/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, jamesc said:

Assume we are talking about 'Faux Manuka Honey' Jelly bush or Kallara ? Only New Zealand produces Manuka Honey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I don't think so.  

Most of the available workforce do not want to work.  However, I get your point, but this pandemic will not last long enough for the current plantings to be bearing fruit.

How do you know?? 

The government subsidy stops people taking on other jobs. 

• Like 1

If anybody is curious about non-manuka values in the US this is the monthly USDA honey report: https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvmhoney.pdf It shows that American white clover is selling for about $1.50 per pound (approx NZD $5.30 per kg), Argentinean clover for a bit less than that. But the only NZ clover honey sold into the US so far this year has been 1 container at about NZ $3.20 per KG! So nobody has a bulk market there, and certainly not at a premium to US honey. Of course, not a good time to be getting one either. 

• Good Info 2

Welcome to the forum Brother !  🙂

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

Welcome to the forum Brother !  🙂

I would say he has been lurking on the sidelines for a while

13 minutes ago, Bighands said:

I would say he has been lurking on the sidelines for a while

Maybe, but nice to meet !!

Posted (edited)

I was looking through some old emails last night and came across a contract we signed with 100% pure down South dated January 2009.

we got $4.70 for our good honeydew and $4.10 for our dew blend. 

11 years later and the price is a whole lot less but our costs are through the roof :( 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Sad 3

In the city and surrounding areas, there has been a pronounced change in many peoples outlooks during the lockdown - more are cooking and planting vegetable gardens, in a move back to basics and nature - let's hope that this also happens overseas as well as I think it should see a rise in prices as our honey in unadulterated, and reliably so.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

In the city and surrounding areas, there has been a pronounced change in many peoples outlooks during the lockdown - more are cooking and planting vegetable gardens, in a move back to basics and nature - let's hope that this also happens overseas as well as I think it should see a rise in prices as our honey in unadulterated, and reliably so.

I hope so as well but people do not have the money to spend as no work.You watch, a world depression I am afraid

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I was looking through some old emails last night and came across a contract we signed with 100% pure down South dated January 2009.

11 years later and the price is a whole lot less but our costs are through the roof :( 

Sad tale.

Why? Is our clover so cheap.. .

Cause who wants to make an extra $1 a kilo if there's lots turnover moving M.

Some are doing it but it's hardly a priority. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Compared to any other primary industry in nz beekeepers cant be doing too well, after my costs I'll be lucky to pay myself 800 a week this coming season

22 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Compared to any other primary industry in nz beekeepers cant be doing too well, after my costs I'll be lucky to pay myself 800 a week this coming season

You must have been a bit insulated up there from the rest of the country's beeks doom & gloom not to have figured that out before now.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

Suppose so, though do you consider how you acquire assets?  Your business value grows (hopefully) 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Suppose so, though do you consider how you acquire assets?  Your business value grows (hopefully) 

To me as long as I have everything I need the business value doesn't mean anything because it was never intended to be sold.

This is my next step, giving my hives s lift kit, my lower backs killing me after the last few weeks.

The recipe for a better back:

8x concealed purlin cleats

6x C nails

3m of 150x40 H4

3x 38mm screw fixings

2x 75mm screw fixings

And only 170 more pallets to go😁

20200501_175126.jpg

@Maru HoaniGood to see you got a hammer hand on to help !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

To me as long as I have everything I need the business value doesn't mean anything because it was never intended to be sold.

This is my next step, giving my hives s lift kit, my lower backs killing me after the last few weeks.

The recipe for a better back:

8x concealed purlin cleats

6x C nails

3m of 150x40 H4

3x 38mm screw fixings

2x 75mm screw fixings

And only 170 more pallets to go😁

20200501_175126.jpg

Some ideas for stands - type in google picture search " postolja za košnice".

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Amen to that Sister .... that catch is 2009 was when we were buzzing .....  building hives, selling nucs to wannabe Manuka Barons ....and Dew was a sort after commodity to blend with Manuka on account of the fact that with no pollen it is untraceable in a blend , unless of course you let is sit on the shelf toooo ,long, when it will seperate out.

• Like 1