7 hours ago, tommy dave said:

i assumed you were referring to all new zealanders on the forum. Please elaborate on who exactly you were referring to. i.e. who are "you guys"

your claim "it is is up to you..." isn't worth the time it took you to type it.

i find it offensive, but am glad that you are engaging to correct my errors..

assuming what is convenient for the arguments sake and then pretending to be offended. yes thats a very common practice nowadays...

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the world of agriculture. Wools in the ####, has been for years because the plastic boys advertise their products with a sheep on the front. EarthWool batts have no wool in them. What a pro

Unemployed beekeepers?

As a fairly recent diagnosed diabetic , extraction week lead to high sugar levels . now controlled without medications ( bad reaction to the frontline meds ) by cutting out sugar ( honey) and car

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Christi An said:

assuming what is convenient for the arguments sake and then pretending to be offended. yes thats a very common practice nowadays...

everyone is offended by everything it’s so ridiculous how PC our country is.

Its so soft and Namby Pamby it’s offensive. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Thats awful , where did that happen .

sorry overlooked your question before.

the train thing happened in Frankfurt.

the firefighter one in Augsburg. Just two of the better known examples.

normally main stream media usually don't make a big fuss about things like that or straight ignore it. (they did however cover the white island eruption to great detail and caused some panic among some of my european friends and family)

1 hour ago, Christi An said:

sorry overlooked your question before.

the train thing happened in Frankfurt.

the firefighter one in Augsburg. Just two of the better known examples.

normally main stream media usually don't make a big fuss about things like that or straight ignore it. (they did however cover the white island eruption to great detail and caused some panic among some of my european friends and family)

it is terrible these random acts of violence, .

like that American teenager who threw the kid off the balcony at the tate gallery in london.

or that guy who shot all those people in Christchurch.

it just shows you can never tell when some moment of madness is going to affect you .

Just now, kaihoka said:

it just shows you can never tell when some moment of madness is going to affect you .

I usually have a second or two's warning when I do it to myself

• Haha 2
41 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

it is terrible these random acts of violence, .

like that American teenager who threw the kid off the balcony at the tate gallery in london.

or that guy who shot all those people in Christchurch.

violent acts require violent people (whatever the reason may be that those people behave like that)

and i absolutely reject the narrative that those outbreaks are something that has to be considered normal or even expected!

2 hours ago, Christi An said:

and i absolutely reject the narrative that those outbreaks are something that has to be considered normal or even expected!

I think for a lot of humanity it is normal and expected , which is why 70 million people are on the move looking for a safe place to live .

2 hours ago, Christi An said:

I may be an ignorant Kiwi but there are certainly some slow learners around...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

everyone is offended by everything it’s so ridiculous how PC our country is.

Its so soft and Namby Pamby it’s offensive. ;) 

Very true.. gone are those days.. but then some of us living out in the sticks still hold true those ways set into us by dads and grandads etc.. 

had to drive into the big smoke today to collect some frames.. first time for a long time.. jeez I wish I could build a big wall and fence them all in it. 

Very sorry if I may have offended any town folk 😬

Edited by Stoney
To apologise for harm caused.
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I may be an ignorant Kiwi but there are certainly some slow learners around...

Some people certainly are very quick at picking up a fabricated narrative, completely ignoring any facts and worse any context whatsoever.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Christi An said:

(they did however cover the white island eruption to great detail and caused some panic among some of my european friends and family)

LOL, i have overseas relatives who wanted to know if i was OK. They must think NZ is such a small island that I was as likely as not caught in the eruption. 😁

On 19/12/2019 at 12:25 PM, Christi An said:

yeah im pretty sure the family of the firefighter that was beaten to death last week or the mother of the child that was thrown in front of a train a few months ago are extremely gratedul for all the "revitalization" of their country.

and all the no go zones that suddenly appear in all of the cities...

geez... how do you guys manage to know so little about whats happening to the outside world? never mind... I think i know the answer...

"Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem."
– John Galsworthy

A lot of us over here been living in a bubble.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Unfortunately as the worlds social (and NZ’s) problems hit closer to home every day many people become apathetic to it as nothing they can do will ever have an effect on fixing the situation.

So many people become insular.

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, dansar said:

Unfortunately as the worlds social (and NZ’s) problems hit closer to home every day many people become apathetic to it as nothing they can do will ever have an effect on fixing the situation.

So many people become insular.

As I am said, to buy imported honey in a Croatian port would cost me around 2 dollars. I am expected to believe that is honey? Still such imports going smoothly, what do " authorities"? So how not to be apathetic when own authorities by not doing what they should destroying own production. 

Also what research shown this year.. don't buy " honey" on the stands by the road on Croatia.. The vast majority of it isn't honey.. and selling such to tourists go smoothly..

It will be normal that authorities not just shut down such stands, also some put in prison for endangering human health. But knowing where I live.. I would like to see positive resolution.. but it would be miracle..

At same time is expected from beeks to lower prices for their honey to match all these mumbo jumbo..

Apathy or not, it's reality.. 

If someone doesn't know Croatia is in EU...

Edited by Goran
  • Good Info 1
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

NZ beeks need something like this , that they have in aussie .

Maybe comvita could run it .

Years ago when varroa was found in Nelson, and hives destroyed in attempt to eradicate it from the South Island, Canterbury beekeepers were very generous donating hives to this area and a rather large sum of money to help the cause, along with labour for inspections. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

NZ beeks need something like this , that they have in aussie .

Maybe comvita could run it .

https://www.capilanohoney.com/au-en/for-bees/hive-aid

There are many ways to support our own industries. My preference is for these type of funds to be independent. There is a tendency for a marketing objective to be behind the altruism when individual companies are involved. 

The best way to protect beekeeping is to protect the integrity of the finished product from adulteration and ensure jars of honey are actually full of honey. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-03/capilano-and-supermarkets-accused-of-selling-fake-honey/10187628

We also need to think and look long term when we consider the protection of our own honey industries. Comvita and Capilano already work together and created a joint venture. https://www.comvita.co.nz/_assets/Investors/Financial-News/Year-ended-31-June-2017/Comvita-and-Capilano-collaboration-update16-08-09.pdf 

Ironically the New Zealand honey industry is now in a global battle to protect the valuable Manuka name. It seems we like to shoot ourselves in the foot far to often. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Ironically the New Zealand honey industry is now in a global battle to protect the valuable Manuka name. It seems we like to shoot ourselves in the foot far to often. 

If you read my post about the aussie bush fire it says the coastal manuka has been badly  burnt .

27 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

If you read my post about the aussie bush fire it says the coastal manuka has been badly  burnt .

I hope they don't blame NZ for this!

Perhaps we could send them some of the predicted abandoned hives we are going to encounter.  That would help NZ honey production and hive health!

There are only two hives burning in the photo.  Good way of getting rid of AFB, then apply for relief aid.

52 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

That will benefit them long term.

Way back when I was in the far north, fires used to sweep through the manuka, which would regenerate and then yeild excellent crops for the next few years. Fires, or "matchbox farming" as it was called, was still not really frowned upon back then, it was still in many peoples memories when the gum diggers used to regularly burn it off so they could find the gum. Then once the manuka had not been burned for a few years and got towards maturity the yeild per acre would reduce. 

That's something i noticed on my recent trip up there. Now that fires are not allowed to happen, all sorts of other stuff is crowding out the manuka, even massive pine trees. And the manuka itself is looking pretty raggedy, not the lush stretches of it as of old.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 3

It's called fire ecology, and many strains of eucalypts will only drop their seeds in a fire, and this ensures survival of the species.  The trees also explode in fire because of the eucalypt oil they hold and seeds are sent hurtling through the air.  The ground below the eucalypt is full of debris from the tree, and this also aids the spread of fire. 

I hate to say it, but when the Aussies have their cities next to their native bushes, they are trying to defy nature.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
9 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Goran raises and important issue that effects the NZ honey industry in general. We are all competing with foreign manufacture because the greatest proportion of industry growth can only come from export. Effectively we compete and sell on a world stage. Fake honey from Chains and other countries seeps through the EU and North America and get blended with real honey and drags the value down. As fast a testing methods catch up the chemical make up of the fake takes another step forward. 

When something is cheap there are always those that sniff a dollar and turn a blind eye. We may not be able to import honey to NZ but there are plenty of NZ producers that move their honey of shore for blending, processing and packing. This is not simply for any potential lower cost labour savings. It allows NZ honey to be blended with cheeper non NZ honey, It allows people to avoid New Zealand's stricter label an quality compliance and in the case of Manuka allows people to avoid the MPI Manuka Honey Definition. It has been said before and remains a truth - There are plenty of "cowboys' in this industry. 

Uh huh ..... no doubt about that ...... which is why as exporters we need to up the game  and shout the story as to why  honey packed in NZ in tamperproof  containers is the real Oil.

Product of NZ packed in Swansea is not the real oil.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
15 hours ago, jamesc said:

Uh huh ..... no doubt about that ...... which is why as exporters we need to up the game  and shout the story as to why  honey packed in NZ in tamperproof  containers is the real Oil.

Product of NZ packed in Swansea is not the real oil.

Swansea - perfect example and there are many others. Just think of the opportunities to ship bulk to AUS and blend with a little jellybush before you on ship to another part of the world. 

The only real protection NZ Manuka product has at present is the UMF quality mark.