frazzledfozzle

World honey prices

9 minutes ago, CraBee said:

Except I'm not seeing much evidence of it being a Giffen Good at the moment......your thoughts on the market?  I also don't think you've seen my vehicles, heavy revision downward from the 100K required 🙂

Re. the market, there has been a significant increase in demand for Manuka, and not at discounted prices, so yes it's still being demanded and paid for as a Giffen Good.

Re. your vehicles comment, do you buy $100-200 honey (for 250g)? If not, then you're not one of the Manuka consumers I was describing, which may be reflected in your car choices ;)

• Like 2

In the good old days of the honey marketing authority you could always buy hives for less than the cost to build them .

At least these days beekeepers are only poor some of the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john berry said:

In the good old days of the honey marketing authority you could always buy hives for less than the cost to build them .

At least these days beekeepers are only poor some of the time.

im not sure whether to give that a smiley face or a sad face :) :( 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, Alastair said:

Back when, most NZ made honey was sold here in NZ. We were protected from overseas prices because of the import ban.

In round numbers for many years NZ consumed about 2/3 of its production.  As production started to touch 10,000 tonnes, NZ consumption was still relatively steady at say 6,000 tonnes. 

The role of such as the HMA was ensure that the 1/3 that ultimately needed to be exported (regardless of whether the world price was high or low) would sell at the best price possible.  The HMA was also allowed to compete on the local market, which caused contention.  Some variables that impacted on prices included such as: prices being achieved in NZ, prices being achieved on the world market, production over the current and recent seasons in NZ, and the same for the world. 

Two or three or more above average NZ production seasons in a row has many times led to near disaster for the honey industry.  Prices would plummet, as sellers would price cut to get rid of the glut, and speculators would offer at below production costs and wreck the markets even more.   Or the time period leading up to the demise of the HMA - over a number of years, the world price had risen, and individual NZ sellers felt they could compete on the market as good as the HMA was doing.  

When the HMA was wound up, its proceeds were directed to the Honey Industry Trusts.  NZ Honey Co-op comes into the story because it was created to provide some market stability for the time after the HMA, buying the packing plants, etc, from the HMA.  And the proceeds from the HMA were loaned to the Co-op for 5 years (I think), then repaid. 

And still today, we have the Honey Industry Trusts providing ongoing value to the industry...

Honey Industry Trust stuff moved to:

Edited by yesbut
  • Good Info 3
  • Confused 1

Beekeepers had to pay a seals Levie on all honey sold on the local market. This went to the honey marketing authority and many believed it was used to subsidise their own New Zealand sales to the detriment of other beekeepers. It was one penny per pound which doesn't sound all that much until you realise that manuka in the early days could be as low as 3p a pound. One and 2 pound pots of honey generally had a seals Levie printed on the lid but for things like 5 pound tins you had to buy stamps and stick them on.

I didn't agree with a lot of what my grandfather Percy Berry did but he was instrumental in getting rid of the honey marketing authority and I think that was one of his greatest achievements

wk34-wow-wapple-logo-horizontal-1200x120
WWW.WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU

{{metaController.metaData.metaDescription}}

Honey at Woolworths Australia

On 8/05/2020 at 12:06 PM, Bighands said:

Yes correct.Have you seen him or spoken to him re sale of your honey

I keep in touch with him. He was over in NZ last quarter of 2019. 

On 7/05/2020 at 2:59 PM, Bighands said:

I still think the only way we are going to get honey prices to rise and not compete with each other in the same market nis to have a single desk seller such as Zespri or a co-op that every beekeeper who exports must belong to.I  have been in the industry and exported under my own to label to know what happens out there and it is not nice.

I cannot agree with that comment. The moment you take that route value is lost from every independent brand regardless of the extra value added that the brand producer brings to the product. Manuka and other honey florals can and are altered in many ways prior to export. Flavours are added, Nutritional ingredients or Vitamins are added. Product is turned into powder or crystals or lozenges or lollies. Honey is also packed in multiple different ways for different markets and different channels within global regions. Sachets, Bags, Jars, Tubes, Squeezey bottles, Plastic jars, glass jars , pails etc 

If you pick a Kiwi fruit, pack it exported unpack it and then put it on the shelf in a UK supermarket, I can't really see where much value was added on the journey to the consumer?

• Agree 1

Sacre Bleu ....... chocolate in honey ..... what is the world coming to ?

22 minutes ago, jamesc said:

If ya saw what I see my teenagers putting together to eat would have ya wondering. Anything's possible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Waste of the chocolate, I reckon. Bit like those lemon flavoured beers .....

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Boot said:

you pick a Kiwi fruit, pack it exported unpack it and then put it on the shelf in a UK supermarket, I can't really see where much value was added on the journey to the consumer?

They have done pretty well. Especially with licensed G3. G3 supports Hayward. 

Isn't the kiwis sold from the zespri packaging in markets? 

Looking at the big discounting within Woolworths Australia from NZ labeled honey... Like 50% (did anyone else read the previous link...)

Was it priced too high initially? In turn not getting a solid foothold early?

Edited by Gino de Graaf
  • Good Info 1

Is there good money in manuka honey still.

The local beeks have had a really good year for manuka honey

6 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is there good money in manuka honey still.

The local beeks have had a really good year for manuka honey

I hear mixed reports. 

Honey is often held for 12-18 months for it to grow activity. Buyers used to buy and grow. Now beekeepers hold it until it grows out. Was a good season and lots of Manuka growing. 

It's so cheap, our pigs enjoy it a lot. 

DSC_0602_copy_774x1376.jpg

DSC_0604_copy_774x1376.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I hear mixed reports. 

Honey is often held for 12-18 months for it to grow activity. Buyers used to buy and grow. Now beekeepers hold it until it grows out. Was a good season and lots of Manuka growing. 

DSC_0602_copy_774x1376.jpg

DSC_0604_copy_774x1376.jpg

Does feeding honey to pigs flavour the meat.

Or is that pig  not for eating .?

4 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Does feeding honey to pigs flavour the meat.

Or is that pig  not for eating .?

That is how you get Honey cured Bacon.

lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Can pigs get diabetes?  Or do you have an exercise class for them to avoid this issue?

Honey fed piggy - sounds el yummo.  You could do different honey varietals of pig!

Edited by Maggie James
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Maggie James said:

Can pigs get diabetes?  Or do you have an exercise class for them to avoid this issue?

Honey fed piggy - sounds el yummo.  You could do different honey varietals of pig!

Pigs are naturally obese so reckon diabetes not a big concern. 

It's a treat for them and it's spilled honey to use up. 

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Pigs are naturally obese so reckon diabetes not a big concern. 

Diabetes is not common amongst bees either.. ;) 

• Haha 5

On 10/05/2020 at 8:09 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

They have done pretty well. Especially with licensed G3. G3 supports Hayward. 

Isn't the kiwis sold from the zespri packaging in markets? 

Looking at the big discounting within Woolworths Australia from NZ labeled honey... Like 50% (did anyone else read the previous link...)

Was it priced too high initially? In turn not getting a solid foothold early?

Most likely. this will be part of a normal promotional activity agreed with brands in advance. So many weeks at normal price followed by so many weeks at agreed discount. The Supplier wears the cost generally. Very similar happens with our major 2 supermarket chains here in NZ. 

On 9/05/2020 at 12:37 PM, Gino de Graaf said:
wk34-wow-wapple-logo-horizontal-1200x120
WWW.WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU

{{metaController.metaData.metaDescription}}

Honey at Woolworths Australia

Yo .... I just read this ..... interesting that pretty much all the honey sold apart from the Manuka is labeled simply  as 'Honey' , with no description of what sort of honey.

The other interesting thing was a pot of MGO 30 labelled as 'Active Manuka' ......340gm for ten bucks.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2020 at 5:47 PM, jamesc said:

Just trying to drive volume and value in the clover market. Anything that encourages new consumers to try honey of find alternative uses for honey is good with me. 

On 17/05/2020 at 7:25 AM, jamesc said:

Yo .... I just read this ..... interesting that pretty much all the honey sold apart from the Manuka is labeled simply  as 'Honey' , with no description of what sort of honey.

The other interesting thing was a pot of MGO 30 labelled as 'Active Manuka' ......340gm for ten bucks.

On 17/05/2020 at 7:25 AM, jamesc said:

They can get away with 'Active" because it was packed in Australia. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

6 hours ago, Boot said:

Just trying to drive volume and value in the clover market. Anything that encourages new consumers to try honey of find alternative uses for honey is good with me. 

They can get away with 'Active" because it was packed in Australia. 

Well Holy heck Jemima .... I'm sending all my honey to Oz and should look at  buying a condo on the Sunshine Coast, yeah Nah, maybe Tennants Creek  or Marble Bar and live like a King.

It's all a joke .... eh.

But seriously ... chocolate in honey ..... perhaps a little honey in chocolate , but ...

Product diversification - can lead to increased sale.

James what would you say I plan to try to mix hazelnuts paste and chocolate with it? 😀 

20 minutes ago, Goran said:

Product diversification - can lead to increased sale.

James what would you say I plan to try to mix hazelnuts paste and chocolate with it? 😀 

Hmmm .... yes .... I'd go Hazelnut with chocolate ....... I think my point is Honey and Chocolate is a combination of two very sweet ingredients, and by combing the two you loose the individuality of the Honey and the Chocolate ... the end product becomes just a very sweet treat.

• Agree 1