Wildflower

NZBF Commercial kitchen

Long term, I am hoping to work less at my Garden Centre, and hope to supplement my income doing occasional market stalls. Only thinking very small scale....What is needed to be able to legally produce some honey/ honey products to sell at markets?

Found info on food safety act etc. On line.

Edited by Wildflower
Slight change of wording.

55 minutes ago, Wildflower said:

What is needed to be able to legally produce some honey/ honey products to sell at markets?

An outlay of several thousand dollars 

• Agree 3

53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

An outlay of several thousand dollars 

that is a little bit of an exaggeration (?), it depends on the local council fees as they're all different it is impossible to say, but just one thousand dollars is a reasonable budget from what I understand for NP1 through your local council and using your local council to do the one-off verification/audit. Best to visit the council and ask their fees and advice. After that the biennial rego is CPI inflation adjusted but roughly $200 every two years if nobody ever complains and it all goes smoothly. Please let us know if you find out differently from your council.

I looked into the same process, although I have no intention of extracting my own honey for sale. I’d more likely sell mine to someone else who has a stall.

Anyway , MPI were  very helpful and have a bit of a check list to go through to direct you in the right direction , which was to local council . It appears local councils differ in their rules between provinces .

What you need to comply with is food safety laws , which in normal persons speak, is extraction, testing and labelling , for selling within your ‘council ‘ area. You also need to demonstrate you can store it safely .

Yeah I found MPI really helpful when I was getting set up so I can sell honey from the school hives.

the other thing needed is a big sword and suit of armor to fend off all the other beeks selling at the markets.

there used to be fights years ago, i would expect it to be worse now.

aplenty of stories of all the beeks disappearing when council inspectors did their rounds.

You will also need to comply with the labelling rules.

@Wildflower , I understand staff from MPI are holding presentations at bee clubs around NZ that may be of help. They are holding an event here in Blenheim this sunday - see here https://www.nzbees.net/calendar/event/90-presentation-by-mpi/

Perhaps you could ask MPI if they plan to visit a bee club near you to hold such a presentation?

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1