Paul Beer

NZBF What is this brood condition? 3 weeks after swarming

This hive swarmed 3 weeks ago and still has no new queen.  Existing brood looks like this.  What are the sunken silvery cells?  I have the swarm captured and plan to merge it with my other also queenless hive.

brood.JPG

Looks like backfilling brood area with nectar. If the hive swarmed 3 weeks ago and there is no laying queen, those capped cells should have emerged (21 days), as the queen would have stopped laying days before the swarm.

• Like 1

Agree with Phil and the hive swarmed less than 3 weeks ago and the new queen has not started laying yet.

However the silvery cells, not enough detail in the pic to identify, but could they be newly emerged larvae in royal jelly?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

Thanks Phil.  Plenty of nectar in other frames, wet and bees are bringing plenty. .  But these are half-filled and dry.  Does the nectar dry out?  I will poke and investigate tomorrow or when I  make the merge 

probably pollen as they don't have anything to feed it to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Are you merging because you want less hives, or because you are worried about queenlessness? If queenlessness, wait a while.

15 minutes ago, Paul Beer said:

Thanks Phil.  Plenty of nectar in other frames, wet and bees are bringing plenty. .  But these are half-filled and dry.  Does the nectar dry out?  I will poke and investigate tomorrow or when I  make the merge 

I just zoomed right in, and there are some empty cells, and some that look like dried larvae, maybe chilled after the swarm occurred, which could also have happened to the capped brood. Not enough bees left in the hive to keep everything warm when the swarm left. But there is an emerging bee, just to the right of centre, and about 1/3 of the way down. That would make sense if the swarm was 2 weeks ago.

23 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Are you merging because you want less hives, or because you are worried about queenlessness? If queenlessness, wait a while.

The swarm is housed in a nuc box, I don't really want a third hive.  The other hive has been queenless for ages, at least 2 months.  Only dawned on me 2 weeks ago.  So I  think we have waited long enough 😯 

My own bee keeping (having) is being learned in chunks which can only be fitted together later.  So a few weeks back i could sense this hive was going to swarm so went through it removing quite a few swarm cells and supercedure cells, in a newbeek way, then the swarmed anyway.  So now I'm in a corner learning how to make a queen from this situation.  Moving the nuc box across the section in daily hops.  People say a swarm should only be in a nuc box for a few days.  Well it's been 3 weeks now shrug.  

OK well the swarm can be combined with the one that 2 weeks ago you realised has been queenless for at least 2 months. However the queenless one could contain laying workers that will be dangerous to the good queen so do a newspaper combine and use a queen excluder to stop the queen walking into the other bees before they have got to know each other. The excluder can be pulled after 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Right thanks Alastair that's what I was planning to do.  Will do. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul Beer said:

This hive swarmed 3 weeks ago and still has no new queen.  Existing brood looks like this.  What are the sunken silvery cells?  

entombed pollen ?

• Agree 1

Whatever was wrong I got an explosion of activity in that hive, many frames of beautiful worker brood, several frames drone brood (can i just cull them out?)  plus plenty honey.  Bees sure build up a level in their second season!  It is the first time I have been able to see eggs.  Still have not seen the Queen.  As for the other hive it merged nicely. 

Edited by Paul Beer
More
  • Like 1

LOL. This advice often holds true. People misjudge their dates and freak. 😄

On 17/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, Alastair said:

If queenlessness, wait a while.

That’s the beauty of a new queen in a strong  hive . They go nuts !

• Agree 1