Alastair

The Oxalic Staple Info Processing Thread

35 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

I started beekeeping in Oct 2017 with a nuc of italians. I initially used OA vaporisation but didn't like it. The bees were very agitated when I used it, and would attack the vaporiser, killing many. In june that winter, I noticed many bees covered with mites, despite weekly doses, so I switched to the paper staples. I make my own and used 35% OA by weight. I have not lost a hive in that time. I don't dry my staples first. But I do run them firmly between my fingers to squeeze out the solution. I also only run a line of cotton up the middle, though I have used a stapler to make some up as well.

In that time I have noticed some interest things. Some queens will not lay anywhere near the staples, others I can lift up the staple and find brood. I had a couple of carni queens I purchased in Feb 2018 last till this spring before they were superceded, while an Italian queen was superceded in a month. I have made a decision not to buy any more queens in as I started overwintering queens in nucs. I have one hive as school that seems to supercede regularly. I am not sure what is going on with it, but it has had 4 new queens since August 2018. They now have a tiger queen running around so will see how that goes.

Some hives seem to ignore the staples, others go out of there way to remove them and cause significant damage in only a week or two.

I also left a significant amount of honey on the hive for winter due to the very poor harvest last season, and I don't like feeding sugar.

Lol

Well Done Mark
Just a note on stitching.
More is better when the paper comes under attack and it cost 1 cent in thread  per staple to have 4 straight lines plus two overlocked edges stitched.
Stapling with an office stapler is by far the most expensive way to go.
I can make ten thousand edge protected staples per day so if you want some for your school project just let me know.
There is a budget for helping out.

Phil does your machine do all the stitches at once, or do you have to do each row of stitch individually?

37 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Phil does your machine do all the stitches at once, or do you have to do each row of stitch individually?

I have 30 fillies with darning needles,
At smoko they do my socks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Philbee said:

Lol

Well Done Mark
Just a note on stitching.
More is better when the paper comes under attack and it cost 1 cent in thread  per staple to have 4 straight lines plus two overlocked edges stitched.
Stapling with an office stapler is by far the most expensive way to go.
I can make ten thousand edge protected staples per day so if you want some for your school project just let me know.
There is a budget for helping out.

Stapler was a quick and dirty fix when I only needed 4.

Faster than waiting for the wife to be out of the house before I could get the sewing machine out.

Its only one hive eating the staples and they have requeened themselves so I will see how the new hatch works out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Markypoo said:

I will see how the new hatch works out.

That will indeed be an interesting observation.

They will have little oxalic crystal boggle eyes. 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

That will indeed be an interesting observation.

Yep. Every queen is different as to how the hive approaches the staples. Some ignore them, some savage them.

5 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Yep. Every queen is different as to how the hive approaches the staples. Some ignore them, some savage them.

Some Girls do and some Girls dont

Laying under staples.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Some Girls do and some Girls dont

Laying under staples.jpg

Clever getting her to pose with her work.

• Like 2

Knew you'd show some brood once you hunted down a reasonable one 😄

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Knew you'd show some brood once you hunted down a reasonable one 😄

check out the date.

54 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

Clever getting her to pose with her work.

That was a fluke and I didn't notice her there until later.

She would be one of the yellowist Ive seen in a while

Edited by Philbee
  • Haha 1

Date was last week? 😄

Phil i like your brood comb, but have you got any useful data yet, in line with the purpose of this thread?

I am still wrestling with why my hives did so badly.

@Philbee

Does plastic or wooden and wax frames make any difference  to the way strips work .?

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@Philbee

Does plastic or wooden and wax frames make any difference  to the way strips work .?

I dont use wooden frames, only plastic.
Cant see how there could be any difference.

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I dont use wooden frames, only plastic.
Cant see how there could be any difference.

Neither do I .

I was just wondering .

• Like 1

Here are some pictures from my topbars. I use trimmed plastic frames as starters. as you can see, one hive's queen wouldn't lay eggs next to the staple so the bees put down capped honey. The other one shows are topbar I put down in the brood nest. The girls wouldn't draw comb next the the staple.

topbar strips 2.jpg

topbar strips.jpg

• Like 2