Jump to content
Alastair

Turbocharging a smoker

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

it is compatable, I will send you a home made bellows you can screw on, and then blow smoke all over your buddy. 😉

I looked at your video and thought  " I'll have the neighbour ringing up the fire brigade if they see smoke like that drifting over the ridge . "'  😁😁

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alastair said:

Did not get 100% the results with the smoker bellows I made, so today I knocked up the mark 2. 🙂

 

This is bigger than anything you can buy and had the room so I put in two inlet holes. 

 

This puppy blows WAY more air than anything else I have ever used, and can quickly puff up a storm, which is a great boon, when needed.

 

 

mk1.jpg

mk2.jpg

.

 

 

Show me a pic of your smoker.

 

If it is compatable, I will send you a home made bellows you can screw on, and then blow smoke all over your buddy. 😉

Looks great @Alastair Would you be kind enough to post the dimensions of the bellows.  I think I will make a couple.  Great setup.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Looks great @Alastair Would you be kind enough to post the dimensions of the bellows.  I think I will make a couple.  Great setup.  Thanks

 

nice wood working job there. 

tho i would tweak it a bit by putting an outlet tube on so it lines up the smoker better. a 45 degree flare on the tube inside the bellows and if you go really fancy, fit a 'strainer' mesh (like on a faucet) to keep the air flow straight so more of it blows into the smoker.

if i had a cnc router i would make flow paths on the inside of the wood panels to direct air flow more efficiently to the outlet. 😎

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Struggling to find pine needles to make any smoker go, (along the same lines as “water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink”, have resorted to dry cabbage tree leaves and kanuka bark. Smells nicer and burns longer. Put green pine needles on top. Thanks Alastair, I shall get himself onto this when he’s got a minute!!!

Edited by Bron
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bron said:

Struggling to find pine needles to make any smoker go, (along the same lines as “water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink”, have resorted to dry cabbage tree leaves and kanuka bark. Smells nicer and burns longer. Put green pine needles on top. Thanks Alastair, I shall get himself onto this when he’s got a minute!!!

Is it wet where you are.

I always look at your part of the country with envy.

I imagine you with endless hot sunny windless weather .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bron you got to try sacking. Used to be common until our spuds and whatever started turning up in that plastic stuff. However it can still be had from coffee grinderies and maybe some other places. Pine needles are great but you just got to keep topping up constantly, where a good bit of sack will go for a few hours.

 

And good suggestions tristan, I have done all of those at various times. 🙂

 

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Would you be kind enough to post the dimensions of the bellows.  I think I will make a couple.  

 

The timber is 135 mm x's 10 mm scotia, available standard from Bunnings and other hardware stores.

 

The bigger bellows in the video the scotia was cut to 25 cm lengths. The top of the bellows expand out to 13 cm, the need here was to have as big as possible but not too big to comfortably hold between thumb and fingers.

 

Couple tips about making it. I think a little less than 25 cm height would be fine because with the bellows in the video, the last little bit of air going through the smoker doesn't have much smoke, so these bellows are blowing more through than needed at each puff. All the same, better a little too much, than not enough.

 

To valve the air inlet holes I hust hung a bit of vinyl over the holes, stapled on at the top. Simple but seems to work absolutely fine.

 

I did 2 air inlet holes because we want the weakest spring possible to avoid being too hard on the hand muscles, but also want a quick return after the bellows are compressed. To get a quick return we want plenty of air entering the bellows quickly, and these are bigger volume bellows so the more air intake the better.

 

Attaching the vinyl is a little fiddly, I found the easiest way was to staple it on, and once all good then nail on the wooden strips. A bit of formed stainless like the bought ones have would probably been better than wooden strips, but I don't have the technology to make the stainless ones. The wooden strips are nailed on with 19 mm galvanised flatheads which seem perfect.

.

All up though, much more simple to make than I had expected, other than hassling with spring issues.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bron said:

Struggling to find pine needles to make any smoker go, 

 

We use sacks from coffee roasters - and there's a few of them to keep the latte sippers happy. Hang them on a fence for the winter as some may have insecticides in them. The seed potatoes sold in the red shed are supplied in small sacks - try a grovel there, also need the fence treatment to burn nicely also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/11/2019 at 4:53 PM, Alastair said:

Did not get 100% the results with the smoker bellows I made, so today I knocked up the mark 2. 🙂

 

This is bigger than anything you can buy and had the room so I put in two inlet holes. 

 

This puppy blows WAY more air than anything else I have ever used, and can quickly puff up a storm, which is a great boon, when needed.

 

 

mk1.jpg

mk2.jpg

.

 

 

Show me a pic of your smoker.

 

If it is compatable, I will send you a home made bellows you can screw on, and then blow smoke all over your buddy. 😉

thats better, yell out if you want to try abit of leather, i got a little saw bench like that, a great wee secondary saw for the smaller stuff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, i bought that saw bench nearly 40 years ago and it was second hand when i got it. Had new bearings and a couple of motor reconditions, but it's part of my life now ha ha.

 

Re the leather, that would be pretty cool Kevin. I don't want to relieve another man of his lambskin, but i'll be running this bellows for a while to see if any design improvements are needed, then if i do have to build another I'll get in touch, so the ultimate, leather clad, bellows can be built. 😉

 

What I could do is send you a template, so you could cut out the piece needed, and not have to send me more than needed.

 

In fact, the more i consider that idea, the better it sounds. 🙂. Give me the rest of the season to work this bellows, then I'll be in touch. 👍

 

And by the way, the 2 inlet hole idea was stolen from you. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to Turbo Charge your smoker and get super charged faster and better lighting of the smoker, try this.

Drill a 10mm hole just above the fire grate, make a small door to cover hole , I used the metal from a beer can (note to self, drink beer first), and fix with a self tapping screw.

Pack smoker with you favourite material, top with some green grass, and, with a small blow totch, or a big one of you only have a big one, light the material through the 10mm hole.

Lighting from the base of the material gives cool smoke and it is easy to relight if it goes out during your inspection. Can even blow through the hole to get it really going!

 

003.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alastair said:

Yup, i bought that saw bench nearly 40 years ago and it was second hand when i got it. Had new bearings and a couple of motor reconditions, but it's part of my life now ha ha.

 

Re the leather, that would be pretty cool Kevin. I don't want to relieve another man of his lambskin, but i'll be running this bellows for a while to see if any design improvements are needed, then if i do have to build another I'll get in touch, so the ultimate, leather clad, bellows can be built. 😉

 

What I could do is send you a template, so you could cut out the piece needed, and not have to send me more than needed.

 

In fact, the more i consider that idea, the better it sounds. 🙂. Give me the rest of the season to work this bellows, then I'll be in touch. 👍

 

And by the way, the 2 inlet hole idea was stolen from you. 😎

my saw vi got for $40.00 it was sitting out side down the back of a cherry farm here,

leather just let me know when,

yer you need two holes, so much better

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So,  What's life without a challenge.

I decided I would try and help @Alastair out and get some good Bellows (mattress springs).  I then decided that id I was going to go to all the effort of getting springs, then I should make a monster bellows myself.

 

So.  Here is the build with pictures.

 

I measured up some original bellows, they are 125 w x 190mm high with a span of 95mm

My new bellows are 125 w x 250 mm High. with a span of 105..  Approx twice the volume.

I made mine with 9mm marine ply (because I had it).

 

This is how I fixed the spring (one end only) And constructed the inlet ports

The purple stuff is silicon cooking sheet.  I bought that from Uncle Bills some time ago for another job.  No no cost.

 

20191127_121940.thumb.jpg.bf463f94b463da6a2e940d6dfd80e83e.jpg

 

 

I decided to hinge the plates together to help prevent wear on the vinyl covering.  Again I had these spare in the workshop as part of my small joinery that I do

 

20191121_144241.thumb.jpg.508db9c7f956c9f6394d6fae16586643.jpg

 

I decided on a nice outlet of 10mm ID copper pipe (scrap material that I get off a plumber friend)

 

20191129_133826.thumb.jpg.97dd5253adcbdce516f0be6c745ee52c.jpg

 

Size comparison between the original and mine.

 

20191129_133813.thumb.jpg.5fa82e77f2fca61b4285f2da49911404.jpg

 

 

Another size comparison.

 

20191129_133758.thumb.jpg.0010c7ae36cf0fd360607c6b0911d083.jpg

 

 

Smoker demo to follow.

 

 

20191121_144117.jpg

Here is the demo video.

Sorry about the wind but as you can see, lots of smoke even when squeezing very slowly.

 

 

 

Total cost.  1 x 500 gm pot of honey for the springs.  I got 12 for that price.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better hope you don't have the neighbours calling the fire brigade with that going on 😄

 

Much nicer workmanship than mine Trevor, with hinges, probably better inlet valves, and spring attached with nice clips instead of bent nails.

 

I'll take a couple of leaves out of your book when I build my next beast, using the springs you sent me. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, yesbut said:

 

Maybe thats what you have to have in areas with africanised bees .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

Maybe thats what you have to have in areas with africanised bees .

heard from a guy who had hives in brazil (i think) and they had a big smoker that sat on the ground and one person constantly pumped smoke in.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...