Colorado_Chris

Visiting Intl Beekeeper Hoping to Meet NZ Beek(s)

Hello New Zealand Commercial Beekeepers!

I'm a visiting sideliner from the US (Boulder, Colorado) on holiday to hike the 3000km Te Araroa trail from Cape Reinga to Bluff.  As I tramp through your beautiful countyside I'm excited to see hives in full spring action with seconds and thirds already, especially since I just buttoned up my hives for the winter and they've already received 30+ cm of snow!

In addition to running a few dozen hives back home, I consult for the University of Colorado's Peleg Bee Lab as the primary beekeeper maintaining hives and isolating swarms for research.  In the PHD lab we analyze bee swarms and clusters using high-definition cameras, x-ray chambers and GC-MS chemical pheremone analysis to model bee interactions and behaviors.

I'm interested in meeting beekeepers along my travels to learn more about NZ specific beekeeping processes (who's flying the hives in with helicopters?! Awesome!).  I'm also curious as to what diseases are most prevalent and what methods are the most effective or ineffective regarding (varroa/SHB/AFB/EFB/nosema etc).  If beekeeping here is anything like in the states there are wildly different approaches and heated opinions on what's the 'best'.  I'm also curious how heavily regulated the industry is here, in Colorado it's literally the wild west with no regulation, inspection, or even registration. In short I would love to meet in person as I have quite a few questions.

Currently I'm tramping south-east past Kerikeri with my fiance but am willing to find my way anywhere for a bit of time talking bees!

Sincerely, 

Chris

• Like 3

Hi Chris I'm happy to meet up, I'm on Aucklands North Shore (just north of Aucklands harbour bridge). Happy to share a coffee and show you some bees.

Although there are certainly different opinions among beekeepers here, we are not as polarised as in the US, especially the treat / don't treat divide ha ha!

Are you on Beesource, what is your user name? I'm on Beesource as Oldtimer.

If you can fit me in your schedule you can contact me on my phone the number is 0274725914. Do you have a vehicle?

Hi @Colorado_Chris.  I am in Palmerston North, Manawatu.  Lower North Island.  I am happy for you to call in if you are near us and talk/show you some bees.  

Click on my profile and you will see my cell phone and email address.

Cheers.  Trev

Im always up for a coffee and a chat, but the trail is to far from the BOP for you to whip of the track for a coffee.

Hi Chris ,

By the time you get down south our bees may well be on the Rata .....  or the honey dew . let us know when you close to Arthurs pass and we'll feast you on honey sammies..... washed down with a summer ale .

Well @Colorado_Chris, you have just collared the most comprehensive range of different and excellent beekeepers,  I wish I was young enough and fit enough to spend a day with any of these people, never mind the whole lot, truly a golden haul!

Just get mobile on yer scooter! 

With a moniker like that shouldn't he take the yacht from Auckland to Greymouth then catch the Transalpine to Otira?

Or hitch a ride on a honey truck!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Just get mobile on yer scooter! 

Or should that be the Zimmer Frame.  lol

TransAlpine Greymouth Otira, sounds like it might be the best land option.  Beautiful wide carriages with lotsa room, and low viewing windows. 

21 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Or should that be the Zimmer Frame.  lol

Ah look .... we get Nana up into the big MAN ..... she sort of stands on a bee  box to get in ..... and then we go places.

Always open to having people riding shotgun if they feel the urge.

Bucket trip for Sailabee .....

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Maggie James said:

With a moniker like that shouldn't he take the yacht from Auckland to Greymouth then catch the Transalpine to Otira?

Or hitch a ride on a honey truck!

Now you are talking my sort of language