JessCarla

Question Looking to start a honey business with someone

Question

Hi Team, my name is Jess, I'm 33 and live in Auckland city. I'm a gardener by trade but have an extensive varied professional history.  I love NZ and the land, the plants, the soil etc, and am seriously looking into producing honey and marketing internationally in small scale to start, but with big dreams! 

I am very down to earth, reliable and I gain trust easily. I think I can really sell something I believe in, and want to prove myself by getting into this market. I have always been passionate about bees and honey, and don't want to wait any longer to take the first step into this venture.

Does anyone have advice on how to start, how to get in touch with potential business partners? At this stage I am looking for a beekeeper who is making the product and is interested in partnering up with someone who can do all the marketing, advertising, client relations and sales etc. This is my first attempt at reaching out so apologies if I seem naive, trust me I have the energy and passion to make this work!

Many thanks in advance.

Jess

• Like 3

6 answers to this question

Oh dear. 

Apologies also, if I seem completely jaded,  negative and disoriented.  Yesbut should be along shortly to provide expert incisive succinct remarks.. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Welcome along Jess !

Thank you for your intro and enthusiasm 😊

There are beekeepers on here with good honey and may well welcome your approach . Unfortunately I’m just a hobbiest, so I’m no good to you , but I look forward to your input 😊

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JessCarla said:

am seriously looking into producing honey and marketing internationally in small scale to start, but with big dreams! 

I am very down to earth, reliable and I gain trust easily. I think I can really sell something I believe in, and want to prove myself by getting into this market. I have always been passionate about bees and honey, and don't want to wait any longer to take the first step into this venture.

Does anyone have advice on how to start, how to get in touch with potential business partners? At this stage I am looking for a beekeeper who is making the product and is interested in partnering up with someone who can do all the marketing, advertising, client relations and sales etc.

the good news is that there are a large number of beekeepers with a lot of honey sitting in drums that they haven't been able to sell. The bad news is that money is likely a bit tight for people to invest into marketing etc.

In some ways it's a perfect time for someone to have a go at this as supply shouldn't be a limiting factor - there are a few facebook pages you could also put the word out on too.

in terms of "making the product" - do you mean producing it to the drum level? the packed in jars without a label level? or the packed in jars with a label level?

there are a few great threads about honey market current status on here which will give you plenty of useful background too - i hope this goes well :)

copied a few links to threads worth reading, there will be many more!

• Like 2
  • Good Info 1

yep, As Tommy said, i,m one of them tight for cash limited, limited patience for promoting/marketing but plenty of honey.

Just love working with my bees.

A conumdrum I know.

If you really can sell honey, I have honey to sell. You seem enthusiatic, i am willing to take a punt on you.

But if what you are really looking for is investment capital, I am not your guy. Unless you have a solid plan that WILL succeed.

What I can offer is high quality honey, and access to packing facilities to meet international requirements. I am based on Aucklands North Shore, and would be happy to put you in a bee suit and take you out in the truck for a day, so you could get dirty working bees, learn about my business, and get a feel for bees and beekeeping in general. 

If interested please text me your contact details to 0274725914

• Like 6

Hmmm ..... interesting day ...... been talking with ladies all day about selling honey ....

But seriously ..... there is lotsa honey out here looking for a home .

Like Alistair, txt on 0224130602 and we'll see where it leads .

• Like 3