Gwenyn Gwesty

Interesting article on stuff today...

Hmmm ..... I think I'd shoot the pony, dip the ladies in the honey and bury the horn .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Strange dream, maybe some people spent too much time on the wrong side of the internet.

• Haha 4

Hey Dennis, did you bury the horn or was it just raining 

There is absolutely no mention of the significant threat posed by myrtle rust to these investments in plantation manuka.

15 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

There is absolutely no mention of the significant threat posed by myrtle rust to these investments in plantation manuka.

Has myrtle rust been found on manuka ?

10 hours ago, olbe said:

Hey Dennis, did you bury the horn or was it just raining 

No, two ladies were riding the donkey drizzled in honey and i had to use the shoe horn to pry my foot out of my mouth, perhaps

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Has myrtle rust been found on manuka ?

@kaihoka  yes it has been detected infecting manuka in NZ and in testing of NZ seedlings in Australia.

Grant Smith from Plant & Food is looking for resistance in manuka and he has identified some resistance traits. For instance some plants are infected on stems and not leaves.

Other plants have demonstrated resistance. This is very valuable work, but to date it has only been tested on seedling plants and in the Lab.

Grant Smith expects to find resistant manuka plants that can be cloned for planting out which will be great, but he has a lot more research to undertake before he claims he has the answer to our future.

Here is his presentation at the Myrtle Rust symposium. https://www.bionet.nz/assets/14.-Grant-Smith.pdf

All beekeepers working our native flora should be observant to the symptoms of myrtle rust and know how to identify it.  https://www.myrtlerust.org.nz/myrtle-rust-online-learning-modules/

Once identified they should report it to iNaturalist website - https://www.myrtlerust.org.nz/what-to-do-if-you-find-myrtle-rust/

We are only in year 3 of a biosecurity incursion that has no known successful control. The prognosis is that things may get a lot worse than they are now.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 3

Was'nt a Manuka blight introduced into the N. Island years ago in an effort to control the spread of the manuka ... only the scrub was too vigorous .

Meanwhile, down here the blight is alive and well and every so often sweeps through our patch on the farm with a sooty mould  .... killing it.

• Good Info 1

deleted

Edited by yesbut